1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 Pai Moves

Discussion in 'Pai' started by Jiraiya_The_Sann, Jun 10, 2012.

1. BlueLink

BlueLink Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BLUELINKBR
    Don't want to create a thread only for that question, and since it's a comparison between moves I guess it's alright to post here.

Which situations do you guys think it's better to use 3P+K and which situations it's better to use 6P? the first one is 12 frames execution (the freaking speed of jabs), knockdowns on Counter Hit, does 20 of damage but it's -6 on guard, while 6P is 14 frames execution, +7 advantage on Counter hit, does only 15 of damage and it's only -4 on block. I guess the most evident difference is that 6P let's you continue pressure after it while 3P+K gives you an oki opportunity (and it wins against almost any attack on the game if both are executed at the same time), but exactly because of this difference I'm wondering which one is better for what.

2. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    i will not compare these two moves, generally i use 6P a lot, +7 hitchecking that move is just great, is also classic elbow -fuzzyable. 3P+K is insanely fast and good to slow down the opponent offensive game. Is -6 in block though. In some specific situations 3P+K is really good and tricky, you can use it like a tool for push opponent to RO or to push opponent to wall( mix it up with the 46P+G, 3P+K etc..). Both moves are really efficient,useful and important in pai game.

BlueLink likes this.
  3. Ben_Lord_Dur

Ben_Lord_Dur Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Ben Lord Dur
    Not the same range:
    3P+K is really a close range move.
    Depends on what you want to do afterwards.
    6P if you are in a mix up strategy.
    3P+K if you want to punish a wake up move.:ninja:

BlueLink likes this.
  4. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    Okay I have been playing Pai a while now and I was browsing these threads looking for tips to up my game so I thought I would give my two cents. These moves may not necessarily be the most badass tournament ready moves but these are my favourites :D. Apologies if I have the notation a bit wrong. Hopefully you know which moves I mean. My fingers know the buttons but sometimes I can't recall them without a controller in my hand.

[4][K][+][G], Every good fighting game character needs one solid kick that shows the opponent what's what. This is that kick. Also I believe it's full circular so when I see an opponent getting evade happy this is what I prepare for them.

[6][6][P][+][K], I'm getting a lot of great mileage out of this. It covers a huge amount of space and glides in low going into Bokutai. If I'm on the offensive and knock the opponent back this can be great to get right back in there with more Bokutai mind games before they can collect themselves.

(Hakkeshou) [G][+][P], I really love this throw because it looks so damn stylish but it's also useful because after receiving it most opponents freeze up in block which allows me to cover the few steps to them and hit them with another throw. I normally do a similar type throw for maximum style points. Mainly I would go for...

[2][1][4][P][+][G], Great damage and super stylish. And with Pai's little visual/sonic flourish at the end makes it great for a round finisher. Incidentally I have always believe this throw was a full 180 rotation but it seems a quarter circle does the job.

[7][G][+][K], great for clearing some distance. Although I can't for the life of me figure out how to take advantage of the stagger.

[6][G][+][K], Just a classic Pai move

[4][K], Probably I use this move to often as my main route into Bokutai

(Bokutai)[P][+][K], It just feels so satisfying to land and go in for the full combo. I love fighting players that expect the sweep out of Bukotai all the time because they eat this move all day.

These are the moves that I can think of now. Moves that I have been neglecting and am trying to use more are:

[4][P]
    [4][6][P][+][K]
    [3][P][+][K]
    [P][+][K]

Basically the close up game that I was neglecting.

And now I am reading about [6][P] which I think I have never intentionally used in my whole life.

5. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Heh, I was the same early on, but you know, according to Sega, her whole game pretty much revolves around 6P :eek:

Note how in the clip, they just do launcher after blocked Palm (3P+K), pretty nasty.
    Anytime Palm hits on counter, try some Oki pressure with 4P or 46K+G. Catch the fast recovery side-rolls with low throw, or a circular string like 2P+KKP. Keep them lying down so you can just do pounces to end rounds instead :)

6. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    Thanks for that link. Great video there! That will help my Pai and my Lau.

I started trying to implement the [6][P] last night and I can say it's pretty great. It's fast and keeps them back and on the defensive. Such a random looking move that I had always disregarded. Who would have thought?

Trying to up the inside game to keep the pressure on. I'll try those tips you mentioned. :D

We should play again soon, maybe set up a room.

7. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    What Pai chun said is just the beginning hit confirming 6P into other things will improve your chances of getting better too. The video he talked about is just the a basic tutorial there is so much to Pai than that after you learn to use all of her tool not just the basic ones. I would recommend that you learn to use all of her tools gradually like 64PP, 66P, etc. The most important part is that you don't force too much onto yourself too fast and get used to it all slowly. Good luck with that training there and her specific tools only add to the basics so getting used to the basics like hit confirming or punishing unsafe moves etc is essential as well remember that

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  8. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    Thanks for the advice, Shadowmaster :D. I am trying to take things back to basics with my Pai at the moment. Trying to get her close up game in good shape. She has so many moves that sometimes I have to really remind myself to use her full arsenal to avoid becoming predictable. I sometimes tend to fall back on the routine moves I've always used.

9. Ben_Lord_Dur

Ben_Lord_Dur Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Ben Lord Dur
    She's good at both long and close range. You just have to choose wich alternative suits best to your needs during the match. ;)

Also you said that you use 4K+G against step free opponents. Use K+G or 44K instead it leads to BT game with advantage or sideturned game!

K+G also beats 2P! :ninja:;)

10. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    For sure she is. But I have been mostly comfortable using her with a bit of spacing between myself and the opponent. So now I want to focus on getting the close range game working well. So far it seems to be working out well online. The [6][P] move is pretty great as is [3][P][+][K], and [P][+][K].

So many moves with Pai, so many options. Love it!

11. Kukurjek

Kukurjek New Member

OK, I need to put [6][P], [P][K], [3][K], [6][P][+][K], [1][P], into my muscle memory and generally improve close range combat, till then I'm surviving on:

1. [9][K]
    I felt big improvement when I dropped bad habit to input entire move. Nein, when I discovered frame data sheme, I cut it, a lot.
    [9][K][K] only on reversals. Pai is great on chopping enemy's nerves with fast pokes. Yea, still on learning curve, but [9][K] is my version of [6][P]. Great opportunity to go with [4][6][P][+][G] after or [2][P] wich is great set up for lovely WS[3][P][+][K]. Everybody knows where it goes... If it goes, of course.

2. [3][P][+][K]
    Akira likes to be hit by this move, and many aggressive opponents with close conversation. On block its very good to apply [6][P], Sega said so.

3. [3][P]
    Crazy... Should I go with full charged [K] after or Bokutai, no no hidden danger can be [3][P][P][6][P] or super fancy Hakkeshou after [3][P][P]. The choice is yours.

4. [7][K][+][G]
    Panic button [2][P] is in close range, on open area this is. It works very often.

5. [3][K][+][G]
    My punishing weapon of choice... well many times I do not calculate and instead I got punished. Very unsafe, but i pray to go through with it.

6. [4][P][+][K][+][G]
    Master for mixing game, combination for brain explosion. In wall arenas I can't help myself then climbing on one. Those who played against me can confirm when I get chance I climb on wall like a monkey. Here comes the hint: Many opponents on back turned Pai near the wall expect [4][P][+][K][+][G], instead surprise them with
    [7][P][+][K][+][G] and immediately apply [3][K][+][G]. Many players didn't see it coming. Pai should stay unpredictable.

7. [6][6][P][+][K]
    To be honest, long time I couldn't find right purpose for this move. Yea, yea, long distance, goes under high, goes to Bokutai ([4]) bla bla... But in my game, with this move I was a floor cleaner. Heaven heard my calls. Right after you send opponent through the air (with no chance for combo), do this move. Most of them recovery on fall, in a meantime you're in Bokutai ([4]) and ready for some mind games.

8. WS[3][P][+][K]
    Set up for my favorite combo. It depends on too many factors (counter, light heavy opponent), but every time I apply [P],[4][6][K][+][G],[6][K][+][G],[6][P][+][K][P], I sing like a pro.
    It is good to go for this move after [2][P] with [3][P][+][K], and Aoi, Blaze, Eileen, Leon and all those skiny characters can say its prayers (well...if counter... Jesus!).

9. [4][6][K][+][G]
    Risky, short ranged, stylish, not for every situation, but it steals those frames so next move is yours, too many opponents fall for its trap.

10. Backturned [2][P][+][K], on hit [P][+][G]
    Generally useless, but looks great! Best looking move in the game.

12. Pai~Chun

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    I like these moves :)

13. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    What? Do you mean [7][K][+][G] is your panic button vs low punch in closed range? And that you only use it in open areas, because you are hoping your opponent won't be able to punish you on block, due to the evasive properties of the move?

If so, i think you're playing against opponents that let you get away with murder. The risk/reward ratio on this move is not that high (-23 on block!). This is why I am very surprised it ranks so high on your list - particularly since you value [9][K] so much ( [9][K] will also beat low punch so the two moves overlap).

EDIT: clarified by the OP below.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    soke likes this.
  14. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I don't think her [9][K] beats low punch at disadvantage, or even at +1. Someone must have tested this already, right?

15. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    [K][+][G] then? I'm not a Pai expert but i'm pretty sure she must have some other, non -23 on block, move to crush low punch. OS vane can land a [9][P] when blocking this move for 60-ish damage and i'm sure some other characters can do even more.

16. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Agreed.

In my experience [7] [K]+[G] 's best use is to crush rising attacks (both low and mid).

I also like to use it to beat out an opponent's attack at mid range when we're both trying to make the other whiff. But even in that situation [6] [6] [K] or [3] [K] is often the better option.

Her [9] [K] beats [2] [P] up to -1

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  17. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    It really, really bothers me still how they lollied Pai so badly in part 5. I keep thinking I will get over it but it's just not happening. I still can believe they did it. She used to be a sassy, mature woman and now look what they have done... :confused::(:mad::eek:o_O:oops::(

18. Pai~Chun

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Hmm, I dunno about that. Any short-eyed players will probably just go straight to Eileen in the schoolgirl uniform... that's Japan for ya :oops:

Anyhow, back to the moves:

833P+K - you've got an evade here that ducks under high circulars, to come straight into her 16 frame floater, that hopefully hits on counter. You have the regular evade and 3K tactic, but that's also 16 frames, has to hit on counter, with no crouching element built in.
    Evade cancel into nasty combo starter is the sort of thing Akira players get all the time, so get that damage ramping up, because Lord knows she needs it.

After you're comfortable with that on the stick, try the 8 or 2 into 466P+K motion. 17 frame normal hit from the side that gives you big crumple damage, much more than from a counter-hit 3K. Remember on the combo enders, you may well need to let the stick spring back into the 5 position for moves like While Standing K or WS P+KP, i.e. 335K and 335P+KP respectively.
    Anyone reading this wondering what the hell the numbers mean, it's simply the number-pad on a keyboard = points on a joystick :)

19. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    I'm confused by this now. If the numbers are the number pad on a computer then that first move is [8][3][3][P][+][K]. Is there a move like that?

20. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Her [2_][3][P][+][K] can be inputted as [3][3][P][+][K] , so it's just an evade into that.

Pai~Chun likes this.