1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Top Pai Moves

Discussion in 'Pai' started by shadowmaster, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Cruz

Cruz Well-Known Member

lol @ Yip!
    Well I use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif a lot. Too much actually that most ppl catch on that they can keep crouching and not get hit or they just block the second kick and get a free throw. I recommend using this seldomly.
    I think Shad is right though, but I think /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif only useful if you're on an advantage and trying to trick the person since it hits low while Pai is standing up.
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is pretty useful also. I don't how many times this move has been praised or hated on. You can mix it up with a throw or a low sweep or continue with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.
    Other good moves: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, Offensive move /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif...
    There's a lot more but maybe a Pai god might enlighten us.
    BTW, did you know that it was PAI DAY yesterday(3/14)??? Woot!

2. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I love that move Cruz I use the basic Evolution combo /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (depending on the foe), followed by a throw or any /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif move, rising or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif move which moves i use depends on the person how they react. I might just do a straight throw after the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif if they counter the quick punch ahead of time. I find it an effective quick mid that I use to cover ground quickly hoping forward so to speak and it isn't as dangerous as the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif misses and I tried to use them to cover space quickly.

3. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

For those of you that have played me, I think that you'd agree that I play Pai somewhat differently the average Pai's you see online. Personally, I'm a movement whore, I'll admit (it bites me in the ass sometimes, no doubt), but it's fun and can lead to a style of play that takes advantage of Pai's moves that come from a crouching position. Quite often I'm stepping from an evade cancelled into a forward or backwards crouchdash.

Here are my Top 5 (for brevity's sake) favourite Pai moves. Apologies for the irony, but it's long.

1. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    I'm not sure what people like to call this move, but I refer to it as her Lifting Palms. Calling it EnSeiKoSouHa makes 0 sense to me. So, because it's her lifting the opponent with both hands, I think Lifting Palms suits it well. This is the bread and butter of my Pai game. Floating the opponent is one of my main goals as I can remove a good chunk of damage and also because I think floats are fun to do and look pretty cool. This move is arguably the best move she has.

On Counter Hit: Float
    On CH the float height is excellent and I tend to prefer the standard /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif->/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif->/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif followup - it's been a constant for me since VF4 and still does the most damage across characters, except the heavies. So it's reliable for 71 points, which is great. On lighter characters, sure I'll go for some other combos for some flash and variation, and I particularly like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif->/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif->/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

On Normal Hit: +4
    On a normal hit, this leaves Pai in the opponent's face and at an avantage. You can choose to do a lot of things here, depending on your opponent of course. Early in a match, I like to be aggressive in this situation in order to try and condition my opponent into being defensive when getting hit with Lifting Palms. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif or OM/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif are two of my favourites and picking between the two is arbitrary although sometimes ring position will play a role if I decide to OM/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. Either way, it's a way to keep damaging the opponent and space them as well while keeping the pressure on. When my opponent starts to anticipate that I will attack after a Lifting Palm normal hit, I try and change it to throwing right away or OM into Throw, etc.

On Block: -8
    In previous versions of VF, this move was throw counterable. Because of that, my typical response to having my Lifting Palms blocked is ETEG. It's simple, effective, and your safest option.

2. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    I love the sidekick. It's been around forever and is still a good mid level move that helps to keep a nice distance between you and your opponent.

On Counter Hit: +8
    If you hit a crouching opponent with a sidekick on CH, you get a great stagger. It's struggleable, but immediately sets up Pai for a lot of tricks. My personal tendency is a crouch dash forward and often I will throw. But you can create a ton of mind games with struggle staggers because the opponent will most often struggle to avoid getting hit any further. The advantage at +8 and the distance you're at unfortunately is not enough to simply keep on attacking, so you need to cloe that distance before starting to keep on the offensive here. Also keep in mind to learn to hit-check this CH sidekick. You want the struggle stagger more than you want a normal hit as it obviously creates more openings.

On Normal Hit: 0
    Simple, neutral smack. A normal hit sidekick simply keeps the opponent at bay and lets you move around to start another flow chart. When I get a normal hit, I often step (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif) and start again. I find this to be my safest option and one which allows me keep the flow.

On Block: -6
    This is where the hit-checking can be really handy. Adding the canned /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to this, with just a little bit of delay can sometimes get you a CH on the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and leave you at +5, which is better than 0. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif But this is tough to do consistently, albeit worthy to try and work into your game. The safer option is to fuzzy guard. A simple /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif will duck a throw and block a mid from your opponent.

3. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    Not unlike the sidekick, Pai's elbow-class poke is really useful and something I like to use a lot. Conditioning the opponent into crouching and poke them up again is a great way to get them to guard and therefore give you a window to throw. I like to low punch into her poke and to do this I often buffer in a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. Pai doesn't have a punch move that is b,f+P, so the backwards dash buffer allows the move to come out seemingly from a crouching state - call it the corollary of a typical modified move with a crouch dash. If I were to go f+P after a low punch or a low kick, I would get her Lifting Palms. The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif simply tells the game that I'm standing before I enter f+P. Doing this can really help in fitting this move into a strong flow of offensive strings. Poke, Punch, low-P, Poke, SSK, etc etc. Overall, it's a move that is exactly as it's name describes: a poke. So use it as a poke /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

On Counter Hit: +6
    Offense, offense, offense. Keep the flow going with this move and take note of your opponent's reaction to a strong string of attacks. Some people will dodge, some will low-P, etc etc. All in all, this should get your opponent to guard and open the window for a throw. CH /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif-> Throw catches people sometimes, but you can mix it up a lot with this move.

On Normal Hit: +1
    Same as above, really. Difference is catching the flash for a CH and pushing for the throw. On Normal hit, keeping up the flow is the crux here.

On Guard: -5
    Not much to say here. You're relatively safe and fuzzy guarding works wonders here.

4. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif
    This is, in my opinion, one of the best Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free cards Pai has. It's a great way to retaliate and can save your butt many many times when you're in tight spot, like when your bakc is to the wall. I try and mixup the sweep (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif) or the knee (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif) followups, but it's really dependent on the opponent. Saving the Knee can help to catch the opponent off guard and the sweep is fast and I find hits very often. I won't go into the CH, NH, Guard for this sequence as it's not as "set-up" worthy, but it is indeed a favourite move for me and one which I like to use in my games. More often than not, this sequence can really tone hyper aggressive opponent down a little. The punch is fast and can interrupt a lot of rushing opponents between attacks, and getting the sweep in can get your opponent to think a bit more - really, who likes getting knocked down.

5. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    Now I know this is a throw, and not a "move" per say. But it's a huge favourite of mine and a big part of my game. This comes back to what I said at the very start - I'm a movement whore and I'm often cancelling a dodge with a crouch dash. What this stepping allows me to do is mixup what I come out of a crouching state with. I can go for Lifting Palms and hope for a float or I can throw. It's really a very convenient nitaku gamestyle that I particularly like. This throw does great damage, and it can be techrolled for more mind games. Not much more to say there beyond that I love the fact that it's FC and helps me mix it up.

Hope this was helpful. See you in game! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
    Cheers.

4. Cruz

Cruz Well-Known Member

Thanks, Llanfair for that. I'll try to apply this to my game!

5. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

No super-cheesy 1K,K???

6. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

lol, no. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Certainly not amongst a favourite list of moves, that's for sure. While it may have its moments, the second is guardable (perhaps even duckable?) even if the first 1K is a normal hit (correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe it's guaranteed if the first 1K is a CH), and worse it's duckable on guard of the low kick, leaving you wide open.

In all honesty, I virtually never do this sequence, simply because against better players (than the scraggly ones you find online most of the time) they will (should!) block this or duck it and make you pay.

That's not to say don't ever use it, but certainly it's not amongst the priority list of moves that are, in my opinion, the most useful for Pai.

7. Cruz

Cruz Well-Known Member

<s>Oh Gernburgs you'll see that a lot so block up or down!</s>
    Why am I giving you tips? Go to your own dojo!
    Well you'll see me do it most the time. Like what Llanfair said, either do a standing block or a crouching block and you're good to go!

8. Shidosha

Shidosha Well-Known Member

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    as soon as someone ducks that shit they are open for that 0 frame baby!
    at least they should be...
    anyone wanna play me n test it out? :p

9. Cruz

Cruz Well-Known Member

I can't, have papers to do...maybe Gernburgs wants to try...

10. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Yup, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif on CH, the second kick is guaranteed if person is standing. If opponent is crouching when you get the CH, I do not think it is guaranteed (will have to check).

1K is not the best but it has its uses. At small disadvantage (-2 to -3) frames where certain characters standing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif will beat out a 14 frame mid, the 14 frame /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is not a bad alternative.

11. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    I don't have my notes in front of me, but I'm fairly certain /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is guaranteed even on recovery counter - you can use it as reverse nitaku. Still, like llanfair said, duckable & etc.

Oh, and ROFL at yip's new avatar. Ebichu FTW.

12. Shidosha

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    they dunno bout ebichu
    bitch can clean i love her!

13. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I also agree with Llanfair one shouldn't depend on the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif especially the second kick that can essentially get her killed against a skilled foe. I use the mix ups I can create from it as I said a few pages back I don't consciously use the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif as much as I did before but still bad habits are hard to break and it will come out some times mainly by accident.

14. seven5suited

seven5suited Well-Known Member

I just read this thread and the only thing I like to do that hasn't been mentioned yet is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif as an annoyance/setup. I call it a Yip because that's what it sounds like she is saying. Also, Yip is a good Pai player. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

To me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is what Pai is all about. It's quick, has many uses and follow-ups, makes a cute sound, and annoys people. It's also risky, reversible, easily evaded, and weak. Such is the paradox of Pai.

Disclaimer: The following is more mental game than good VF. I do not put this forth as academia. It's more of how a quick knee to the balls gets you out of trouble with people who can kick your ass.

If you don't expect it, I can keep yipping into you, and you will either block it, get caught ducking, or be going for a move that doesn't come out fast enough. At the same time you are being pushed back. If it lands, I can do it again because you probably won't be able to stop me, or I'll go for the throw while you're blocking the expected second hit.

If you go down, and don't pop up quickly, I get 3 or 4 yips to bounce you across the screen, and THEN maybe even a pounce if you're too busy being mad at the 4 other hits. I have gotten a few ringouts that way, too, and boy does it annoy people.

When annoying noob spammer kyus insist on repeatedly challenging me when I am hosting trying to rank up, I dissuade them from bothering me again by yipping them across the screen right out of the ring. And hey, if they get out of it, they learned something! If taken by surprise, I can yip anyone out of the ring or into a big throw. I have even caught some elites like Flash and Happy Friend with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif for a quick and dirty drain on the life bar. I imagine it gives good players that "some lowly Master just cheesed me" feeling. I use them as examples because they can kick my ass 8 or 9 times out of 10.

If you are backturned, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (same move, 1 frame slower) is a great run-away technique. I won't go into BT strategy here but that's a good escape.

If abused, these strategies will get you killed. The second someone reverses/evades it on expectation, I change up to Mr. Framecounter, or use circular moves to hit the evaders. But, coming out of left field, in a close match and not having used it yet, you can really score some damage with the element of surprise and some well-placed yip set-ups.

Coincidentally enough, Yip (the person) also demonstrated (on me) how he can use it to jump over me while I am down. So, when I get up with a kick, he is behind me and ready to MC me into a huge combo. You can also accomplish this with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (hold until landing so you don't actually kick)

Ok I'm shutting up now.

15. Shidosha

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    yip, HEY!

16. Naudin3D

Naudin3D Well-Known Member

Hah! my most whored out move for Pai! I use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif all the time to set up almost everything. I really wanted to see if players would mention the unused moves like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. I know there is a way to set up this move. Any suggestions?

17. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif works fairly well against opponent low punch spam (opponent at disadvantage). That is from online experience...as for offline experience, there are better options, I think.

On crumble you can get a good amount of damage against everyone using a simple /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif string.

18. CHRON0S

CHRON0S New Member

i like (back) (down) (P+G) then use (back+P) during the stagger then use (P+K) for a huge bounce then finish with (PPbackPK)

19. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I would rather do the standing kick after a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. It is a free pop up on most people and since pai's standing k is one of her fastest pop ups it is ideal to take advantage of the people that are at a disadvantage after getting hit with the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. If I ever think about doing the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif after that throw it is always blocked, I can't land it to save my life personally after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif.

20. 124

124 Well-Known Member

TOP 3 FOR ME [​IMG]

1. [3] [P] [6] [P]
    2. [9] [K] + [G] [K]
    3. [6] [6] [P] [K]