1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Toronto VF4Evo Tourney - March 2 - Results

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Llanfair, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Well, with the Rochester twins coming up for some Evo goodness, we had a decent turnout with 8 people - woo!

The players:
    BMF - Toronto
    Robertson - Toronto
    Mark - Toronto
    Namflow - Rochester, NY
    John - Toronto
    SuperGolden - Rochester, NY
    Plasma - Toronto
    Llanfair - Toronto

So, the usual setup for the tourney was an iron-man round robin followed by double elimination. Double elim matches were 1 match, best of 5 rounds. The finals were best two out of three matches, best of 5 rounds. Losers bracket winner must defeat the winners bracket winner twice, of course.

Everything was recorded and will be captured as soon as possible /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif Great to play the twins again, as it's always nice to play people from out of town. Thanks Namflow and SuperG for making the trek up! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok, the results.

<font color="white">Iron-man Seeding </font>
    <font color="orange">1. </font> BMF
    <font color="orange">2. </font> Namflow
    <font color="orange">3. </font> SuperGolden
    <font color="orange">4. </font> Plasma
    <font color="orange">5. </font> Llanfair
    <font color="orange">6. </font> Robertson
    <font color="orange">7. </font> John
    <font color="orange">8. </font> Mark

<font color="white">Double Elimination - Winners Bracket</font>
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    BMF ----------|
    |--- BMF -----|
    Mark ---------| |
    |
    |---- SuperG ----|
    | |
    SuperGolden --| | |
    |--- SuperG --| |
    Robertson ----| |
    |
    |---- Llanfair
    |
    Plasma ------| |
    |--- Llanfair -| |
    Llanfair ----| | |
    | |
    |---- Llanfair --|
    |
    Namflow -----| |
    |--- Namflow --|
    John --------|
    </pre><hr />

<font color="white">Double Elimination - Losers Bracket</font>
    --- Namflow --|
    |
    |---- Namflow --|
    Mark --------| | |
    |--- Mark -----| |
    Roberston ---| |
    |
    |--- Namflow --|
    | |
    | |
    --- BMF ------| | |
    | | |--- SuperGolden
    |---- Johnson --| |
    Plasma ------| | |
    |--- Johnson --| |
    John --------| --- SuperG ---|
    </pre><hr />

<font color="white">Double Elimination - Finals</font>
    Llanfair -----|
    |--- SuperGolden --|
    SuperGolden --| |
    |--- Llanfair
    |
    --- Llanfair -----|
    </pre><hr />

So, the final results are:

<font color="yellow">1st:</font> Llanfair (Toronto)
    <font color="orange">2nd:</font> SuperGolden (Rochester, NY)
    <font color="white">3rd:</font> Namflow (Rochester, NY)
    <font color="white">4th:</font> Plasma (Toronto)

Thanks to all who came and battled hard - there are some great matches caught on tape and I can't wait to get them up for everyone to check out. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks again!

cheers,

2. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Hey guys,

First off letting you know we got back safe and sound... brrr is it cold out...

And congrats to Llanfair for taking it all... His evo Pai is a force.... And nice tournament writeup too /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My thoughts on the tournament... Even though Rich and I had come in 1st and 2nd at the Rochester tournament, due to the fact that this was going to be on Evo and on joysticks and against very stiff competition, we knew it wouldn't be easy coming in... I dunno about Rich, but I was pretty happy with my performance..

BMF schooled just about everyone during the iron man... He is very good at getting the modified double palms, SPoDs, and -big- damage float combos with Akira... After he placed 1st in the round robin I was a bit anxious to find myself facing him in the double elim... I heeded my bros advice to chill on the offense when he was down or tech rolling to prevent myself from eating double palm after double palm...

Owen said Pai is nearly a totally different character in Evo, and indeed this was a Pai the likes of which I have never seen... Owen was particularly impressive with countering/inashing certain attacks, throwing well, the usual floats, etc... He knows some good combos... At one point in the finals I missed a high pounce with Jacky and wound up eating maybe 70-80 point combo... ouch... The finals matches were very intense, and the last round was very, very close...

Rich: I told you all I could beat him /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif He seemed to have an on/off night... He was doing well with Vanessa and Lion for a bit... but in a fight with Llanfair, Llanfair kept on escaping his throws and Rich failed to adapt...
    During our semis at least I was thinking "man do I really want to win this, and then have the weight of the finals on my shoulders?" But always gotta play your best...

It was nice to meet GodEater, Robertson, Mark and John and good to see Plasma again...

Playing Evo all day was great fun and practice too...
    See you guys,

-Alex

3. Namflow

Namflow Well-Known Member

I agree with what Super said. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif Great turnout, great tournament, great fun. Horray for free play evo. We made it back safe and I'm very tired and I need to wake up and fail a CS280 midterm tomorrow (I hate regular languages, finite automata, the pumping lemma, epsilon transitions, and anything else evil that falls into CS280). /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'd write more but super said everything very nicely and I'm tired. Good games all!

4. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Congratulations LLanFair. Please write up a few Pai flowcharts for <font color="ffffcc"> Pai VF4 EVO</font> .
    /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Thx you advance.

5. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

good stuff Llanfair. I like your Pai.