1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Toronto

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Myke, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    This past weekend I had the pleasure of flying across to Toronto to meet for the first time a bunch of guys I've known online for quite a long time. They included vfdc regulars Llanfair, kbcat, GodEater and Plasma along with some other guys, Clem (who I had met years ago in Vancouver) and Matt.

The real fun began when I was departing from Montreal's Dorval airport. With just a backpack containing a change of clothes and my DC agetec stick, getting onto the plane should have been a relatively smooth experience. But as I passed through the metal detector to go and pick up my bag, I was asked to open it up. Maybe the joystick looks like a bomb or something under the scan, but anyway, I open my bag and take the joystick out. The airport dude takes it from me, looking at it inquisitvely and asks, "What is this?". "It's a game controller", I reply. He puts the joystick down on the table, turns his head and calls out to get the attention of his coworkers, and then GOES TO TOWN on my joystick as if he's playing. He grips the stick and mashes a few buttons while making "pish pish pish" sounds with his mouth, much to the amusement of his onlooking colleagues. He was oblivious to the fact that I was holding up the queue while he had his little fun. Folks, I cannot stress to you just how embarrassing the whole ordeal was, and how badly I wanted to jump up on the table, grab my stick and smash it into his face. sigh. :)

The flight time was just under an hour. So when I arrived I got to thinking (which I'm inclined to do at times) as to how I was going to recognise Llanfair who was going to pick me up, because neither of us knew what the other looked liked. He and kbcat must of been thinking the same because as I exited the airport, I saw two guys standing there holding a pamphlet with the letters MYKE scribbled over it in pen. Heh, kinda funny yet suprisingly effective! I went over immediately, and introduced myself to Llanfair and kbcat.

We made our way back to Llanfair's place, which is where I was to be staying for the weekend. We wasted no time and go right into the VFing. It must of been midnight (saturday am) and we played for a few hours I think. I don't remember much else 'cept that kbcat was just cleaning up! So the VF ice had been broken and playing against these guys was such fun. If that was a sign of things to come, then I was really looking forward to the rest of the weekend where I'd get to meet the others. Both Llanfair and kbcat were quite adept with many characters, as I was too, so our constant switching up teams made for some really enjoyable and dynamic matches. Incidentally, Llanfair noticed that our "serious" team selections were similar in that we'd choose Akira as the opener, Kage as the anchor, and then we had a choice of a filler character which just put a slightly different accent to the overall team. Quite interesting, but anyways.

So saturday came with kbcat coming around Llanfair's place again where we played around somemore. Few hours later, after getting a little VF'ed out, we played a bit of FV2 which made for a pleasant distraction. After playing it I've decided that I must buy this game, it's such a blast! Plasma arrives late in the afternoon, so we switch back to VF and challenges were getting much more interesting, competitive and fun. I had heard a lot of good things about Plasma's Taka, so playing against him was great and he certainly lived up to my expectations.

Having other commitments, kbcat soon left, so it was just myself, Llanfair and Plasma fighting it out before Clem and Matt finally arrive early in the evening. It's a good feeling to be in the same room with a bunch of good players who also happen to be such great people.

Matt had to leave after a while, and we soon after headed downtown for dinner. It was during dinner that GodEater entered the scene, and it was great to meet him finally. With our bellies full, we headed across to the infamous Funland to check out the TB machine. Unfortunately, the left stick was terrible, and I found the diagonals were almost impossible to hit. So rather than spending money trying to adapt, we decided to bail back to Llan's where the setup was more accomodating. It was a bit of a shame though as we all much preferred sharing the experience in the arcade.

Oh, before I forget, I have to mention the insane amount of joysticks we had to play with! Both Plasma and myself brought along our agetec (jap style) sticks. Llanfair had his two american style sticks, and kbcat had his two infamous optical sticks. Everyone was easily accomodated and you couldn't ask for a better setup really.

So we played on into the night. GodEater showed off some nice Ura throughout his matches, a joy to watch. I remember seeing a low back throw there somewhere with his Wolf. Clem's Jacky and Taka brought back memories of Vancouver, like fighting an old friend on new ground, a fresh yet familiar experience. Plasma transformed into a monster with practically any character he played. Llanfair's Lion, suprisingly enough, gave me constant headaches but the matches were always a blast nonetheless. And it was great to finally pit my Akira and Kage against his. Fantastic matches!

It must of been about 1am before everyone finally left. Our eyes were weary, our minds numb and our arms/hands/fingers sore. So Llanfair and I took a walk outside to get some air, and get some food. We eventually just came back and ordered pizza, and chilled out to some cool conversation.

Just when I thought we both couldn't take anymore, we turn the DC back on and start messin' around with Akira in training mode. We spent some time trying to work out why I couldn't ST, SJK, PGx2, m-DbPlm against a med.weight on flat ground, but he could! :) We broke it down, play-by-play, and compared the frames -- how fast were the punches? how fast was the first punch after the SJK? how tight was the m-DbPlm -- but we couldn't figure it out why mine whiffed and his hit. It's such a deceptive combo, but it finally dawned upon me. Distancing is everything, and I noticed Llanfair's SJK is slighty more delayed than mine, enabling him to start the entire combo that little bit closer than I do. And it's that little bit that makes a world of difference. We also fooled around with other funky ST buffers, primarily with the buffered SJK after a knee or ShRm. Fun stuff, and it's cool to sit down with someone and compare virtual notes, brainstorm a few ideas, and ponder possibilites. As cool as message boards get, nothing beats real life interaction. Must of turned in close to 5am Sunday morning.

So the remainder of Sunday was relatively low key. A chance to unwind and reflect on the marathon of VF that started the previous day and ended early that morning.

I'd just like to thank Owen again for welcoming me to Toronto, being a generous host and allowing me to stay at his place. I'd also like to thank the other guys - Graham, James, Johnson, Clem and Matt for taking time out for some VF that weekend while I was in town. It was a great pleasure to have met you and I'd like you all to know that should you ever be in town (Montreal, Sydney, wherever), know that you can look me up and you'll have a place to stay.

Cheers!

Myke

p.s. I know there's more I've forgotten, so I'll probably add it in later.

2. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

first, I'll just say that saturday was a blast and it
    was great to meet MyKe.

I don't live in Toronto but was down (serendipity)in
    the core playing Designated Driver so I was going to
    hook up with Clem. Word gets out by email that MyKe
    and maybe Chanchai will be down (chan couldn't come)
    and after much hemming and hawing I realize I have
    the time to meet up (in fact, I had scads of time).

Like MyKe mentioned, I met everyone when they were
    sitting down for dinner. Swiss Chalet, yum. Very
    little talking as everyone is busy filling up on
    Chicken and ribs and Ice Tea. Then we head to the
    arcade.

Not much to talk about here. Most people
    (including myself) couldn't find the diagonals on
    the sticks with regularity so we decided to move
    the group back to Llan's place and bash out on the
    DC. Before we went MyKe showed off a spooky Aoi
    and Johnson proved that he had no qualms whatsoever
    with destroying an opponent with any tactic he
    could think of. brr.

Back at Owen's we jam up until 12:30 which is when
    I thought I should be going (turns out I had two
    more hours). I got some healthy streaks and nice
    ura, Owen played deep and combolicious with his
    Akira and damn Lion, Clem showed why Taka's hit
    throw is unbeleiveable powerful in the right
    hands and then Johnson took it upon himself to
    melt into a 17 win streak using only his right
    hand and the remote control from Llanfair's
    stereo system. Meanwhile everyone is unplugging
    and plugging in the joystick of their choice.

In between I got to see a very interesting Kage
    Ura and very nice game play from MyKe. I can't
    comment too much because at one point we weren't
    playing the game so much as just trying to remove
    Johnson from the controls. damn.

Anyway, I had a blast and can't wait for another
    opportunity. We'll work something out soon!

GE

3. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Thanks to Myke and GE,

I love reading this sort of stuff :).Was there a taping? It'd be cool to see some footage,may I ask what a spooky Aoi is?

Oh I know this is a stupid question but why does GE's status say member when he's made WAY over 200 posts?

4. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Unfortunately - no, there was no taping this time...but there will likely be other visits and bashings that will get on tape.

All in all it was a great weekend of excellent VF. Very good competition. Like Myke said, Plasma's Taka took us to town for a while - although it felt great to take down his Taka-Lau-Jacky team 3 straight with my Lion. ;)

Myke lived up to his reputation of being a great competitor with many a trick up his sleeve. His Akira, Jeff, Aoi, and Kage are all very strong and tight. I was also very impressed with the Toronto boys' performances as well. The first night, Kbcat just couldn't make a mistake. His gameplay was really complete and he's always had great yomi. Plasma is a machine and may adopt the 'Jo-Shun Successor' title ;) I remember a quick moment at Funland when Myke and I were watching Plasma trounce someone (can't remember who) with Akira and he was moving around with some K-step that was outstanding. Outstanding enough that both Myke and I looked at each other and said the same thing "Did you SEE that movement? - Holy shit!" - it really was spectaular.
    Y'know, VF can be somewhat considered to be like riding a bike - you don't ever forget. I know GodEater lives outside the city and doesn't a chance to play as often (he doesn't have a DC) but his sparse sessions at Funland with Clem keep him in good shape...his ura is just nasty.

It was such a blast and I can't wait to do it again. Nothing like a little Aussie influence to spark up the Toronto scene again...

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"Myke lived up to his reputation of being a great competitor with many a trick up his sleeve. His Akira, Jeff, Aoi, and Kage are all very strong and tight"

Now u know how I felt when I first met him. I was a total beginner.

Lucky I was able to pick up a few of his tricks along the way.

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

So bud
    Did u pull the hop splash mountain? /images/icons/wink.gif

7. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

yep - I ate one of those. ;)

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

8. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Wow, sounds like you had a great time!

Did Myke go from Australia to Canada for just a weekend of VF'ing? What a concept :eek:

Hmmm .... :)

- Jan

9. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Jan, it was a blast. And to answer your question: no I didn't go all the way from Australia to Canada just for a weekend of VF. I'm not stupid! :)

I've been over in Montreal since early January and I'm likely to be here up until the summer. Being this close to Toronto just meant it was ultra convenient for me to go over and visit the lads, and of course, I jumped at the first opportunity to do so.

So, when are you comin' over? :)

10. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    heh, just one? :) My Jeffry had a few tricks up his sleeve but I felt he was fast running out of steam, or maybe I peaked too early with all those TKoDs on Saturday afternoon. Shoulda saved it for later, but oh well.

After having my memory jogged a little by reading the replies I must share a few more of the memorable moments this weekend past.

GodEater, I just loved the crane stance you adopt when at the arcade machine! :) And you must show me that 'walk' next time!

In my account of the weekend I mentioned that Sunday was pretty low key, but I completely forgot to mention that both Llanfair and I ended it in a bang! We had around 20 minutes of free time before I had to leave, so we challenged eachother to see who could pull off Akira's ST, SJK, PGx2, m-DbPlm first within a match. Both teams of Akira x 3 and we went to work.

The result? Well, Llanfair did it to me first -- and twice! (the bastard) :) But man that was so much fun.

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh
    the jump splash mountain
    brings back fond memories.

Fond memories= Being reversed by myke's akira consecutively, KS yoho, jump splash mountain, TFT etc.

Anyway, fond memories equals to me losing....which is fun, cause ah get to learn