1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tournament in Texas 5 [3-23-03]. Petition now for VF4...

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Oni-Kage, Dec 11, 2002.

1. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Re: player tally

What's the entry fee?

And is it winner take all or do the top 3 get a percentage or something?

2. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

That hasn't been discussed yet... fee or winnings... I'm leaning towards top 3 percentages, with at LEAST 5 dollar entry fee, if not 10 (to make it worthwhile for top placers). Up for discussion.

Another note... I would love to record tourney matches... if anyone can bring a digital camcorder that would be sweet. L8rz

3. TexasLion

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Re: Character swapping

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    No offense to the CO boys or anything, but imo, this is like taking candy from a baby.

cheers,

Llanfair

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, what makes you say that? You've played Blonde_One and IMF right? So tell me, how did you do against them? Did they totally humiliate you or something and now you think it's impossible for other players to beat them? Or was it pretty close, with you even winning a few matches against them?

Unless no one could even touch them in NY and elsewhere, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that they're the best US has to offer. The VF community in America is so disorganized and lazy that we'll probably never find out who's the best. Sure, we'll find out who's the better player out of those who go to the events. But when 30 people show up, you can't assume that those are the 30 best people who play in America. For some reason, FL and crew assumes this and I'm hoping to prove them wrong.

But I'm a big man. If I lose, I have no problem admitting I was wrong about the whole thing. It's hard to stay in denial when you're handing money to the other guy after a lost. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Re: Character swapping

Unless no one could even touch them in NY and elsewhere, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that they're the best US has to offer.

You're so right, it's funny. You have to forgive the vets on this board, we're slow learners. We forget already what the florida crew represents - just because a group of players is small and relatively unknown doesn't mean that they're easy meat. I remember fondly a smartass comment I made a long time ago about "the local champion of Mt. Dora" /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

I'm still rooting for FLA to ream the competition, but there's no evidence that colorado or texas players are going to just bend over cheerfully for it.

5. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Comeuppance!

This whole thing is just going to be so nasty and brutal. Painful. Vicious. I'm sure there are other sinister sounding words, some that even maybe carry some sort of sexual connotation that no one will wanna mention or whatever but that everyone will, y'know, kinda intuit & stuff. (Cue the scary sounding music) A cold wind is blowing its way to Dallas.

so
    lock your doors
    drop to the floor
    get your shotguns drawn
    here comes another clockwork orange

6. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

Re: Comeuppance!

Just to let you know, when I played Llanfair, he kicked my ass like 12-3 or something like that. We played Pai versus Pai. Had tons of fun playing against him. I saw Llan and Blondie play wolf versus wolf and it was like 5-1 Blondie. But that was all I saw. So not sure how everyone did against Llan. He definetly held his own and represented Canada very well at NYG3.

7. Enkindu

Enkindu Well-Known Member

Re: Comeuppance!

Wolf's #1 Let me loose on him!

-Enk

8. TexasLion

XBL:
    JunoSynth

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    That hasn't been discussed yet... fee or winnings... I'm leaning towards top 3 percentages, with at LEAST 5 dollar entry fee, if not 10 (to make it worthwhile for top placers). Up for discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say $10, no doubt, if not more (maybe $15). The tourney isn't going to be huge so I'm sure those who are willing to travel and enter wouldn't mind paying $15 or so. And definitely have a percentage for the top three players. That way, the top three can go away with something, instead of just the winner. It'll make for happier people, and people won't just give up if they know they can still win something for placing 3rd or 2nd. Maybe 70% to the winner, 20% to 2nd, and 10% to 3rd. Just my suggestion.

And I definitely hope this thing is taped and recorded too. I would think everyone would like to relive this tourney and see what went wrong, what went right, and just to replay all the great matches from some of the best US players. I'll try to bring one, but no promises.

9. IceCold

IceCold Active Member

joysticks

baton rouge is bringing joysticks to the tournament... is that an ok input device, or do we have to go back to using the pads to get ready for this? anyone have an opinion on what's superior? my vote's for the stick, personally... trying to spod on a pad sucks, as do 270 moves. we've been playing vf4 on sticks for a month or 2 and we get some evo time at our local mall. i'm also of the opinion that we'd see higher quality fighting with vf4 and would attract a larger entrance pool, but whatever. we're coming with game no matter what.

and don't count brla out yet. beware of big boy.

william

10. sanjuroAKIRA

Re: joysticks

William, about 8 pages back I said we were bringing sticks but you were too freakin' lazy to read the whole goddamned thread, weren't you? ASSHOLE. Oh, and I like the coy little bit about "is that an OK input device"...your mother didn't complain one bit about it, in fact I distinctly remember her starry eyed & roaming the streets of New Iberia humming ditties composed in it's honor. She tried a couple on me. She hums nicely.

Oh, and I think everyone longs for EVO...spotlite (speaking on behalf of socal?) already said they aren't coming without evo. Also, the home evo will be verB which few of us will really have played by the tournament anyway. Don't worry, we'll get Vanessa turned out in time...if we could only teach her to hum...

and yes...big boy is going to be a problem. [3][P]+[K] YAAAHHHHH!!!

11. sanjuroAKIRA

Whatever it is I think I see...

Ahhhhh...well I guess no one wants to talk some smack...too bad. Or not. Anyways, after a carefully planned and executed barrage of begging, pleading and bribery I managed to coax a VF2/VF3 vet friend of mine out of retirement and into preparation for the tourney. Add to the 5 from brla 1 from nola.

Big Boy has taken to fasting...he says when he gets hungry everyone holding a joystick looks like a cheeseburger. The doctor says these bite marks will heal eventually.

12. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Expect a couple of us from TN to be there. A team tourney of sort would be great. I will be able to bring a copy of the game and ps2 if it's needed. Hopefully school won't prevent me from going. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

13. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

Does any of you know if the american ps2 has a disk that can play import games? I know the dreamcast does. Perhaps I don't need to buy a japanese ps2 and just buy the game and the disk.

ninjinsan. Hope you make it. I want to play you again. Didn't get a chance to play against you that much last time.

14. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

EC DUB

I think it would be cool if a VFer won a Tekken tournament and threw down the title ala Shane Douglas... Fast way to get lots of talk about VF haha...

-Alex

15. Gndalf007

Gndalf007 Well-Known Member

VF4 @ TiT5

The Virginia crew is now looking into making the trip, though I can't say anything for sure. That's another 3-5 or so.

Oh, and even though I've never touched EVO, I'd rather have that there than C. I'll figure it out well enough between JPS2 release and the 22nd, though I'll probably lose to any Goh out there...

16. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't work that with the PS2. You have to fully modified the machine in order for it to play original, import and copy games.

17. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

There is a bootleg method with a gameshark...

18. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

The gameshark bootleg method sounds interesting, but is there any way to do it without damaging the PS2 tray? From what I can see, the only way to do it is by jamming a screwdriver/knife in there and forcing it open. This seems a little too risky for me.

19. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Really, how does it work and would it damage the PS2?

20. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

If you use the gameshark swap method, you CAN NOT play original import games. You must make a back up of it first and play the back up copy. The only way to play original imports is by modding your ps2. There is also a safer way to swap without jamming knifes under the tray. All you have to do is take the top of the case off, and where ever you want to swap just take the cd out through the top without ever pulling the tray in and out forcibly. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif