1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tournament in Texas 5 [3-23-03]. Petition now for VF4...

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Oni-Kage, Dec 11, 2002.

1. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Re: player tally

Sounds good to me, but since Evo is on DVD, it looks like I'm out of luck. I don't have a DVD burner, so unless there's another method, I guess I won't be playing PS2 Evo before TIT. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Theoretically, VF4 was a DVD as well. However, the source was readily available for download from a few sources online and burning it onto a normal CD was fine.

As far as the 'forcing' the try open goes - I think you've heard some bizarre stories. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif I used this method quite easily with my PS2 before the american version of VF4 came out. The only tricky part is taking the face plate off the tray of the PS2, and that's really not that hard. Once it's off (you can put it back on whenever, btw) you then gently slide a thin 'something' under the tray and slide the tray lock to the side allowing you to pull the tray open without forcing it. There's absolutely no damage done to your PS2. I personally used a thin metal nail file wrapped in some electrical tape. It worked great and my PS2 hasn't a scratch on it, nor can you tell that my tray cover is removable. It's a better alternative, imo, than modding your PS2. Total time for me to boot up the gameshark, swap the discs and get VF4 running was in the range of 1 minute.

cheers,

3. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Theoretically, VF4 was a DVD as well. However, the source was readily available for download from a few sources online and burning it onto a normal CD was fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, VF4 is on a CD. Regardless, I'm sure some group will have a "backup" copy of Evo floating around the net around the release date.

4. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

Still waiting on the final decision on location. They are discussing 2 locations right now, Irving Mall or an arcade w/open gameroom in Plano. Will post up when I know the results.

5. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

Cosmic_Forge, I have some korean players that might be interested in going to TIT for VF4 maybe tekken. PM me with some details, cause iM not familiar with tits formats. Ill relay it to them. They want to know how many international players are allowed and what style of tournament its probably going to be. Thanks bud

P.S. Its team replay, if thats any incentive!!

6. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

International players would be amazing, this is definitely get VF4 more exposure during the tournament. I think it would also be fun to do a team tourney if possible, if people are interested. I'm definitely making this event. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. Dom

Dom Member

Hey cosmic forge, this is lil twin from tz, first I would like to say, i am truly surprised how determined u was, and all the effort u put in to have VF4 at TiT5 /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif ! Anyway, I pretty much gave up tekken to for VF after seein how good this game is! I mean man, after seein the flaws in T4, then seein them so darn pretty in VF, that was a no brainer. I just wanted to say that u can add one more to the VF4 list of players attendin TiT.

8. Dom

Dom Member

dood, TiTs welcome all forms of life. if u have a korean homie that wants to come, be my guest and bring him. Also cosmic, so is it decided to be just regular VF4 or Evo?? The arcade in Irving Mall that we might hold it at has an Evo machine(japanese ballsticks) but the console house in plano doesn't /versus/images/icons/frown.gif ... Also, im gonna be in Austin on the 15-18 of Feb. I would love to play some of the Austin peeps. Get at me on here or TZ if u can..

9. Oni-Kage

Tourney info

Dom-- thanks for the props, and I'm glad you've found the gold in VF4. It really is a high level game that I personally think has more depth than tekken... there are way more mindgames and your defense has to be ten times quicker than in tekken to get out of the million mixups and traps that exist.

So far the majority are wanting Evo, and a number of people here have already posted that they will be bringing import systems/Evo's to the tourney, so that a console tourney will be possible. I myself don't have ample access to Evo right now, so I'm still practicing Ver C. I will pick up Evo probably by the beginning of March to catch up on the changes, etc.

And yeah, we'll try to have a gathering around that time. We usually all get together once a month at the gameroom here at my apts and play everything under the sun /versus/images/icons/smile.gif In fact we are planning on a gathering Jan 26th coming up.
    ---------------------
    Jedi_Fei-- the tourney style will be pretty standard: 3/5 rounds, 2/3 matches, double elimination... we may extend the rounds/matches for finals to make it more interesting. For now the popular demand is Evo format not Ver C. No word yet on entry fee, but it will probably be at least 10 bucks to get in, and winnings go to 1st-3rd place.

As for hotel/lodging, I'm still waiting on word from the TiT5 hosts on the actual location of the tourney for now... once that is complete I'll research lodging costs near the tourney site.

One last note... it seems we will have plenty of PS2s/Evos at the tourney, so the only remaining issue is having the extra TVs. I know I can probably bring 2 to 3 TVs between myself and friends... but I'd rather see about using the TVs already at TiT5 if this event turns out to be as large as it seems. We can hold the tourney as a "headliner" before the main Tekken tourneys if possible... I'll check with the hosts about that.

L8rz folks /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Dom

Dom Member

TiT

uhmm, the venue for TiT will be determined no later than Mid-February. Another location just came up but we just wanted to make everything is straight. But the date is the 22 of March definately.

11. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    Like I posted at Zaibatsu, I iffy about going cuz i have a few altercations but if i do show at TiT you can guarantee seeing me participate in VF4.

12. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

can we have some final details soon, TIT is only 2 months away now and all of us that live far from texas need to start planning now.

Things like permanent date
    Entry Fee
    I think as for rules and type of tournament, i think us VFers can figure that out amongst ourselves.

13. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I think as for rules and type of tournament, i think us VFers can figure that out amongst ourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget this is not "our" tournament. We are invited guests. I think we should see what they say the rules are.

As far as the date is concerned - the TiT5 thread at Zaibatsu says it's still March 22nd. Looks like there will be many tournaments starting simultaneously. There was no definite location as of Friday (when I read the thread), but there were suggestions.

There is a link to the Zaibatsu thread at the beginning of this one.

14. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

Cosmic, I need a location so we can buy our airline tickets and hotel. IF we buy it now, i can get really good deals. This is very important. Please Reply as soon as you see this. I know its in the dallas ft worth area. But how close to the airport is it. Do you know a hotel we can stay at that is close.

Piccolo: Yes

15. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

had to ask, are you their manager? hahah :p

16. Oni-Kage

I am still waiting on the main tourney hosts to announce the location... they said they would do so by today but I didn't see anything posted yet. As soon as I know I'll let you know... I asked today about it since we should have known by now. Just waiting for an answer now...

17. Oni-Kage

Here's the location information... they announced it today:
    Saturday, March 22, 2003
    NICKEL MANIA
    2661 MIDWAY rd.
    CARROLTON Tx. 75006

Sorry it took so long, but there was quite a bit of deliberation involved I guess. Hope it works out for us. L8rz

18. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Whew, about time. For those out of state or not familar with the area, Carrolton is just North/East of DFW Airport (DFW) and just North from Lovefield Airport (DAL). I'd say about 10 -15 miles away from both airports. Hotels shouldn't be a problem since there's like 3 in the area, and along the way a ton of hotels off I-635 and some off I-35. I've never heard of NickelMania so I can't give any details on the venue, but I assume it's big enough and suitable, otherwise I doubt they'd of picked it.

Map

Nearby Hotels

I hope this helps some people. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

19. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

modestmouse, thanks for the info. Hopefully, I'll get to go and play you and the colorado crew. imf, blonde one, jedi, let's plan this.

20. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Hey guys,

Rich and I are thinking about making it - for those of you flying, how are you getting your tickets? Rich and I could fly from Rochester, NY down to Texas for about $250 each via cheaptickets.com ... And then there's hotel costs, maybe we'd want to all chip in and get a suite or something?

-Alex