1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tournament Report Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Chrisdaggimoh, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Chrisdaggimoh

Chrisdaggimoh Member

Hi guys, I'm thinking of reporting on the upcoming UK VF4 tournament on 21st October as part of my college course.
    I have access to a DV camcorder (on loan from the college), and Final Cut Pro.

This will be the first time I've covered anything like this, so a few pointers as to what you guys look for in some tourney footage and interviews would be greatly appreciated.

Bearing in mind that recording hours and hours of footage is not very practical when you only have a limited supply of both batteries and tapes etc. what fights are you most interested in (apart from the finals and semi's of course).
    How about a vocal commentary from the two fighters after the bout, saying what they were trying to do, and why it did or didn't work?

Thanks in advance,

Daggi

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

It's hard to say what we look for prior to the cut... the famous players in the UK are primarily Ryan Hart and Hatim ... hatim... hayashi? habashi? something close to that. Any matchups involving them and between them should be recorded. I'm also curious to see if Derrick Lynch is as scrubby as he sounds. In postproduction, you naturally want to keep any matches showing off nice combos, clear examples of near-psychic yomi powers, and flashy reversals. Nice looking throws and stumbling trip patterns are always welcome too. Note that you do NOT have to record a single SPoD or DLC. Don't let any UK players fool you into thinking these are the most jawdropping attacks since the world trade center.
    Interviews: Interview only the favorites and the eventual winner. That would be Hatim and Ryan again.
    And the last idea is a good one, expert players might be able to see the footage and say "he backflipped because he screwed up a kickflip" or "that TFT was lucky, Kage was just trying to struggle out of Sarah's groin smash throw" ... but most people would want an explanation of these things.
    Good luck with it!

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

3. Chrisdaggimoh

Chrisdaggimoh Member

Thanks for the advice Creed, greatly appreciated.

See?

This board isn't so bad to newbies if you ask the right questions (and you name isn't derrick:) )

Will get to work learning my flashy final cut pro transitions ASAP....

I know this is probably the wrong forum for it but...
    btw, anyone know anything about encoding divx movies on a mac? and do you guys ever use the RAR compression format?

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Divx has a site (www.divx.com) and they might have the stuff you need...
    as for rar, it's not as common as zip, but a lot of us use it because a lot of the movies were RARed on one of the VF movie sites. A quick plug -anyone who doesn't have rar compressor/decompressor should get ultimate zip. It's at www.ultimatezip.com , and it handles all the weird compression formats you might come across.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Just curious, why do people still use .rar when .zip is more or less ubiquitous? Am I missing something...?

[​IMG]

6. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

RAR has better compression

[​IMG]

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Some people still use floppies?

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    hear me RAR!

Sure, better compression can't hurt, but I think the preference for RAR comes from the ability to archive across several volumes (anyone remember arj?). Like Chanchai said, it can be helpful for those living in floppy-land, but I think the main benefit lies in downloading large files, especially if you can't resume a broken download. Better to start downloading from volume 11 of 15 again, than a 300mb file from scratch.

(I have a feeling someone mentioned this already in another thread)

9. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Re: hear me RAR!

Ah, okay. At the back of my mind, I always thought zip files could span across volumes as well, but I just opened up WinZip and didn't see that option. Guess that answers my question =)

[​IMG]

10. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mentioned it when I wrote a big explanation on RAR files and downloading the 1st Beat Tribe Cup Tapes from that one Taiwanese site (since I got a lot of private questions on how to decompress RAR and the author of the site only putting links for the first and last file of each archive up).

Chris, I don't know about WinZIP, but at least in the old DOS days, I would actually zip a file (or series of files) across different floppies. It was a feature that existed for PKZip if I remember correctly. It's probably in all other current versions of Zip.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Chanchai on 10/03/01 08:45 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

11. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Ah, PKZip... that brings us back... I haven't touched that piece of software in AGES! =)

[​IMG]