1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

TOURNAMENT

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Guest, Nov 24, 1999.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

HAS there been a LION OR A JEFFERY CHAMPION IN A JAPAN TOURNEY? or is it always akira and jacky that always win?????

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Chibita Lion has won plenty of tournaments, although most of them are smaller, regional tournaments. He is, however, widely regarded one of the top 5 players in Japan (if not THE strongest player in Japan).

I will defer on the Jeffry issue, although I can say there are a few famous Jeffry players.

ice-9 | Sennin

3. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

stirring the pot...;)

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Chibita Lion has won plenty of tournaments, although most of them are smaller, regional tournaments.

<hr></blockquote>

Does anyone else find this weird? I mean, Chibita has only once been on a winning Athena cup team and he did poorly at max battle for both ob and tb - so, then besides his winnings in arcades in a non-tournament setting, he's done very little to be spectacular. Seems as though he fumbles under pressure. Jo Shun's opinion on Chibita was that once you rattle his gameplay he wasn't very tough to handle. From what I've read (and heard from Jo), Chibita's game revolves much around throwing and ura (which, apparently he excels at ;) - if this aspect of his game is eliminated, he has a hard time adapting.

Now, don't get me wrong, Chibita is a very strong player and indeed worthy of his status, but to answer Jefflaw's original question which was about those who have *won* tournaments with unusual characters - Chibita is a poor example.

I would have suggested that a Taka player won the Java Tea Battle - quite an accomplishment, IMO. ;)

He is, however, widely regarded one of the top 5 players in Japan (if not THE strongest player in Japan).

<hr></blockquote>

Not that I know tons about the players in Japan, but IMO, I would think that Kyasao would be given the title of THE strongest player. He has much under his belt in terms of winnings and is held in extremely high regard by the best players in Japan - probably higher than Chibita. I could be wrong though. ;)

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

4. Guest

Guest Guest

why ARE YOU using so MANY CAPS? is THERE somethiNG wRonG WItH YoUR KeYBOaRd?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

how come you are writing in caps, is there something wrong with your keyboard?
    why do people get upset when u right in caps?

6. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

thats because its akin to shouting at people. Make use of faces darn it. /images/icons/smile.gif /images/icons/laugh.gif /images/icons/crazy.gif, and <font color=red>c</font color=red><font color=green>o</font color=green><font color=yellow>l</font color=yellow><font color=orange>o</font color=orange>r<font color=purple>s</font color=purple> to express yourself better.

-Rulakir

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Seeing as were talking about tournaments and Japanese players does anyone know the latest news from Japan as in who winning the most tournaments, is Muscle Sarah still top and that kind of stuff.

The Wall

8. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Re: Chibita is broke

[​IMG]

(Sorry, picture was quite unnecessary)

First of all, it's very likely that Jo mistook someone else for Chibita. Just imagine...Chibita is 17-years old, no job, nearly a highschool dropout, and all he does is VF and other videogames. Why would he be in Hong Kong? A foreign country? I suspect that he even has a passport, which costs $80 to get. I should ask my VF teachers to ask Chibita about this....

Now, don't get me wrong, Chibita is a very strong player and indeed worthy of his status

And...you have not even played nor seen Chibita play, have you? I'm telling you, he will make you feel like playing Lion when you see him play. At least he converted all 6 of US players to Lion temporarily.

to answer Jefflaw's original question which was about those who have *won* tournaments with unusual characters - Chibita is a poor example.

I'm afraid that only tournaments you know are SEGA sponsored tournaments and Athena Cup, right? Ever since the release of VF3, there has been at least one good tournament per week, with 30 or 40 strong participants (note that all of them are better than me). Chibita won A LOT tournaments, that's for sure.

I would think that Kyasao would be given the title of THE strongest player. He has much under his belt in terms of winnings and is held in extremely high regard by the best players in Japan - probably higher than Chibita. I could be wrong though. ;)

Kyasao stopped playing VF3 seriously almost 2 years ago. He has not been in the tournaments. When he plays, though, he still wins quite a few matches (and is surprised by that, according to his diary). But he also confessed in Gamest that he is losing his grips against younger generation of players, such as Chibita or SHU(Shun). I regard him higher for VF2 and shooting games. Has anyone seen him play shooting games? Oh quite a show....

After all these, here is a list of Japanese players who are winning many of recent tournaments.

Yami-Yodare (Kage)
    Skelton (Kage)
    Chibita (Lion)
    Hijitetsu (Jacky)
    Se-Girl (Wolf)

9. Guest

Guest Guest

ugh, godDAMMIT shota..

some of us would like to keep our thanksgiving meals INSIDE OUR STOMACHS today !

*shudder*

10. Llanfair

Ok Shota - you need a reality check.

Might I remind you that Jo has most likely played more Japanese 'tetsujin' players than you. One of Jo's very best friends freakin' owns an arcade in Japan (and don't go asking which one because I don't know). Have you heard of TS Kage? Well, did you also know that he's visited Toronto for christ sake. Jo has played in Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan - have you!? Hell, he's played Kyasao more times than you can count dammit!

Jo is extremely well versed in who's who in Japan and it's ridiculous to think that you can't get over this. Face it, Shota, it *is* possible that there are people out there who have played your 'VF mentor' (as you once put it in VF recoil) and beaten him. Why is this so difficult to believe for you:? Get off your high horse and stop being so freakin ignorant. Question for you though - when Jo wipes the floor with your ass will you change your opinion? Ridiculous.

Besides, who cares anyway!? I don't know why you have such a chip on your shoulder for Japanese VF. It's a game - people win and people lose, and y'know what, in this case Chibita lost, wah wah...big deal! Your little *god* is still intact, worry not.

Oh, and the picture was completely unecessary - who doesn't know what Chibita looks like; he's in the max battle tape, the TB Mook, and he's got to be the ugliest kid on the planet. Hard to miss.

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

11. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Whoa...I haven't seen/heard something like this for a while...not even from my girlfriend *grin*

Get off your high horse and stop being so freakin ignorant.

One thing that bothers me is that why you, not Jo himself, are calling me ignorant. Let me state two facts:
    1) Jo/Shota has been to Japan.
    2) Llanfair has not been to Japan.

Therefore, in the order of who is likely to know more about Japan/Japanese arcades, there are two possibilities:

Jo
    Shota
    Llanfair

or

Shota
    Jo
    Llanfair

I feel bad to take Jo into this flame-battle-ring though. So there goes my apology to Jo.

he's got to be the ugliest kid on the planet. Hard to miss.

This is even more unnecessary, Llanfair. Before we were talking about the game, who is good/bad, who sucks and so forth. Now why do you have to talk about someone's appearances?

Imagine I post your picture on the message board, and someone says that you must be the ugiliest on this earth. How would you feel? Think hard, in someone else's shoes, before you post a personal defamation like this.

12. Llanfair

you're missing the point

One thing that bothers me is that why you, not Jo himself, are calling me ignorant. Let me state two facts:
    1) Jo/Shota has been to Japan.
    2) Llanfair has not been to Japan.

<hr></blockquote>

Shota, you're missing the point. If you read me previous post in this thread you'll notice my disclaimer of my knowledge of Japanese players, etc. No shit I haven't been to Japan. But we're not talking about who's been there. I was frustrated with you because you never accept anything unless a) you've seen it with your own eyes. b) your 'VF teachers' in Japan have told you.

By saying that you're ignorant I was referring to the fact that you almost refuse to accept information that differs from *your* point of view. It has absolutely *nothing* to do with who knows more about Japan/Japanese players. Knowledge and ignorance are two very different things and I'm sorry if my post wasn't clear enough to make this distinction for you.

As for my remark about Chibita's appearance - I'm actually surprised you don't agree! (Shota, the kid has a *very* distinct look, you must admit...he is indeed pretty hard to miss) In fact, you bringing this up makes me wonder about this whole thing and your adamant defense of Chibita. I think there's more to this than just Chibita being a japanese player. Is he a close friend of yours or something? Are you from the same part of town? I wonder if Jo had beaten Se-Girl, or someone else repeatedly if you would have been so defensive.

This thread is ridiculous anyway - I was purposely 'stirring the pot' and your response was well predicted. Look, if you've got difficulties with the whole Jo Shun/Chibita thing - email him, I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem relaying it to you himself. Email me for his address, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to post it here.

cheers,

13. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Re: you're missing the point

you never accept anything unless a) you've seen it with your own eyes. b) your 'VF teachers' in Japan have told you.

Not really. I do believe and enjoy reading Jeff's account on his trip to the Japanese arcades. I trust what Jason Cha writes about his experiences in Tokyo. On the other hand, that mere kid Chibita going to Hong Kong is harder to believe. That's all.

Knowledge and ignorance are two very different things

Again, not really. Ignorance=lack of knowledge. If you think that I tend to refuse everything, call me stubborn or provincial instead. One could be very knowledgeable in things yet limit his views by being stubborn. I am not talking about myself, by the way.

As for my remark about Chibita's appearance - I'm actually surprised you don't agree!

You'd be surprised how many girls you get with that kind of freaky-gay-whatever look. In Japan, Chibita is certainly passable. You must realize that N.American good-looking standard does not apply the exact same way in Japan. Heck, even I had an orange hair when I was in Japan....young days....

I think there's more to this than just Chibita being a japanese player.

Not really, for the third time. I just find his Lion excellent, that's all.

I shoulder Japanese players because I have played VF in Japan and US. When I compare US to Japan side by side, I find that Japanese players have more to offer in terms of new strategies/techniques. As a result, I end up talking about Japanese stuff more often. I cannot say much about Taiwan, Korea or anywhere else simply because I don't know about them. I don't compare Japan vs. Taiwan or of any sort, do I? On the other hand, I don't hesitate to compare Japanese players to NA players I know.

For the same token, you have played VF in Canada and US; and you shoulder Canadian players. There is nothing wrong with that though, is there?

I was purposely 'stirring the pot' and your response was well predicted.

Isn't it ironic that we were in the almost same situation a while ago, except that I was being an instigator? My previous reply was not to your flame-war-bait. I sincerely wanted to discuss/clarify a few things, therefore you did not get any name-calling from me. I am too old to get excited over a few lines of text on the Internet. But your remarks about me will not be forgotton.

14. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

let the point go

I think it's a real shame that it has gone this far. And has
    ended on this sour a note. I would like to think that nothing
    thus far is so badly stretched that it can't go back to the
    shape it once was.

you think?

GE

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: let the point go

This really saddens me. Shota and Llanfair -- both of you have made tremendous contributions to the VF community. The strength for the future of this community will best come from synergy. We need to make the totality of this site greater than the sum of the individuals. Interactions and relationships are important in determining the power of any group, including the VF community. I'm getting too flowery -- what I am trying to say is we need both of you cooperating and reinforcing each of your respective insights and understanding relative to VF3. Put aside your differences. Focus on your shared agreements and goals. Never mind who was right or wrong. Does there have to be a right or wrong? Can't there just be different perspectives? All of this has only been words. No physical harm (in the direct sense) was done. Recovery is easy and possible. If you must continue to engage in "conflict," then let it be a constructive one -- refocus into stimulating conversation and debate about VF3 and its strategies, etc. That way we will all benefit from the "conflict."
    You're both smart enough and strong enough to do this.
    Peace, Imashroom

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Hai, hai, Hai, You guys just like my old time with Big Cat and Chris?, discuss more on straggies or moves,Also, is anyone told people I play only for $$, ?8)))) Big joke!!!