1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tournament

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

What are default setting (energy,time,round) on tournament?

2. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Usually, it depends on the tournament. Rounds are either 2/3 or 3/5. Life bars are usually between 200 and 260 for a tournament. 30 second rounds are usually the standard.

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

hmmm.... this is debatable among people... I guess it's all up to preference of the participants or those who hold the tournament.

* Vs. Normal Mode, 30 seconds, 3 match points to win, 200 health.
    This seems pretty standard for those who like to play normal mode and there are a lot of people lined up to play. This is the most common setup at NYG2. Some people (was it Shota?) played same rules except 5 match points.

* Vs. Team Battle, 30 seconds, 3 match points to win, 200 Health
    This is the setting I played with KBCat. I also get the impression this might be the standard for Toronto players (well, Toronto Crew I mean, they're not the only Toronto VF3tb players hehe). I personally prefer Team Battle, but I admit the loading time can be a pain to most on the DC. I think the only real complaint about this besides time is that a killing mode, focused mentality can be lost a bit during the waiting period. I find myself looking around in different directions or at other matches during the loading time. However, I still like Team Battle play, I agree with Rich in that it's just a different form of play, and to me, it opens up another form of strategy. BTW, I forgot to mention that variable recovery is on (meaning you don't start round 2 with 2 completely full health bars unless someone won on a perfect or something close to that).

* Vs. Team Battle mode, 30 seconds, 4 match points to win, 200 health, variable recovery
    This is Rich's standard I think. I haven't tried it myself, but given that the arcade doesn't have that load time discussed in the above, I imagine it would be quite intense. A strong factor in Team Battle with variable damage is that matches tend to use up all the rounds, but at the same time, the psychology in these battles are very different usually than in normal battle. Probably because it requires quite a bit of everything to maintain match point leads. Very intense. I think in Japan, many tb machines are set to 5 match points these days. On a side note, the only thing I dislike about team battle mode in ALL VERSIONS (arcade and DC) is that I think it's a pain for a Shun player. No matter how many Shuns you pick, if you lose a round with Shun, the stored drinking points are back to default. You are playing different Shuns if you play with more than one Shun. This is a pain in the sense that Shun players in normal vs. mode have the option of devoting a round to drinking whether they lose the match point or not, and that's a big difference to me... However, I don't personally know much about the effectiveness of a relatively sober Shun. Perhaps Nelson could comment?

Anyways, hope that gives you some ideas. The standard constants are 30 second time limit and 200 health. I personally don't like 30 seconds in VF, I personally don't find it necessary, but that's just me.

-Chanchai

ps. hope I didn't misrepresent anyone here.

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

However, I don't personally know much about the effectiveness of a relatively sober Shun

I would say that if a Shun player *needs* to drink to be
    effective then that Shun player is sporting a serious
    crutch. Jo's shun would drink if the opportunity
    came up but otheriwse it wasn't necessary.

GE

5. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

blah..most of the previous numbers, which i quoted from memory, were way the hell off from reality.

suffice it to say that the variable setting takes many things into account: your energy going into the round, enery of the opponent going into the round, the time remaining when you win, and how you win. maybe more.

so in short:
    the quicker the victory = the more energy back
    TO & RO victory = much less energy back than had it been a KO

but.....you all knew that already. err.
    as before, i wish there was a table or something for this, for more exact info.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Mr. Bungle on 8/30/00 06:30 PM.</FONT></P>

6. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

260 points? in what alternate, freak dimension did that tournament occur?

7. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Some people (was it Shota?) played same rules except 5 match points.

That was because it was early in the morning, and only Adam and I were there to play. We just wanted to get the maximum amount of play time.

On a side note, if the players are concerned on who wins the entire match, setting the game to longer (like 5) rounds eliminates many *accidents*. Winning 5 rounds from a good player is of course harder than winning 3.