1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tournaments - why bother?

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Llanfair, Dec 9, 2002.

1. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Yeah he was a top Tekken player, but the people that invited him and put the VF4 tourney together said, or rather, insinuated that he was also a top VF4 player and they used that as an incentive to get people to show up for it.

But regardless of all that, VF4 was there at one of the biggest tournies from the US, and 13 people showed up. Cali has a ton of hardcore fighting gamers, and you telling me there's less than 10 of those people who are into VF. Apparently, otherwise it would of had a lot better showing, never mind whether people fly in or not. Cali alone should have had a lot more than 10 people interested in the series enough to prove themselves. Now if Cali doesn't have a lot of hardcore VF players, and that's a state full of hardcore gamers, than there's something wrong here with the way Americans take to the VF series. Whatever it is, I don't think it'll ever change. I wish it would because it's my favorite fighting game, but that's wishful thinking.

And even the NY gathering had what, like 30 something people (btw, I'm really hoping to make the next one)? Come on, 30 people play Tekken 4 and CvS2 in any given town. The 30 people who went to NY was from all over the US and Canada, so that equals like 2 or 3 hardcore players from each area. That lousy MK game that just came out probably has a bigger following than that. And the sad part is that that's probably the truth.

So if you ask me, until the casual gamers from around the US takes to VF enough to want tournaments in their areas regulary, then forget about ever having a huge national one.

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Cali alone should have had a lot more than 10 people interested in the series enough to prove themselves

[/ QUOTE ]

There might be 15 of us in southern California. If there are more, they don't post here with any regularity, they don't care that the best EVO machine in the US is in their own backyard, or they're just not interested in joining the group.

3. dynamic-league

dynamic-league Well-Known Member

You are doing the right thing. Start small with a few people and keep going. If you don't keep going new people do not get a chance to watch, learn and understand.
    I have seen a lot of people watching the game played by top players with amazement but they find the game too difficult to learn.
    I am going to try and get the management to put the game on easy so that new people can learn to play and experts can practice new techniques against the CPU.

If you want I can process some of your first club meetings in the Dynamic League to help you get things of the ground.

You just have to keep going. Dynamic League has been going for a year ! Believe it of not. And we are now just beginning to get a little recognition by sponsors and TV. I thought we would have got sponsored in the first 3 months! /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif