1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Toying with Throw Escapes

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Myke, Sep 15, 1999.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I was just browsing through the War room in Astro City and came across an article by Joji on Throw Escapes. The last paragraph says:

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Also, against Wolf, Sarah, and Aoi, and in addition, for those players that use the double throw escape. You know that their first throw escape attempt is a P+G. This way, you wait a split second and let them throw you first, and then you escape their throw. Agaisnt Wolf, this a back throw, and the others, it's side throw. Wolf vs Shun becomes quite important.... I'm sure you can see why.

<hr></blockquote>

This is all cool, but I fail to see why it becomes "quite important" for Wolf vs Shun. Can anyone clue me in?

<pre>_______
    Myke
    </pre>

2. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Perhaps because when someone does a double throw escape, both P+G and d/f+P+G (plus guaranteed back throw) that yield Shun drinking points won't work. So this technique lets Shun have guaranteed back throw (plus the drinking points against Wolf).

Personally, I think that the trick is a bit too risky. I for one rarely do double throw escape any more. For me, in a throw guaranteed situation, I do either: G-TE, Attack-TE. Occasionally against Shun, I do double throw escape (no G). So any Shun player can take me out with f+P+K.

3. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

When Joji wrote that, I believe he was talking more about something cool to do, or something in theory, rather than something he does regularly in play. After all, why should Shun settle for a f+pk against a Wolf DTE, when you can get a throw escape then backthrow? But personally, I don't believe I've ever seen him do this, but then again, in Boston only one person really played Wolf and he didn't show up that often.

-Jason

4. Guest

Guest Guest

If i remember correctly, the correct way to do dte is to buffer in PG while you are still in rigor, and another TE within 10 fr after rigor (when your oppt is throwing you).

Therefore...if Shun is trying to be smart at this situation and input a PG a bit after WolF DTE, he is not going to break out of Brainbuster since that throw whiff never come out, the only throw whiff that is gonna come out is the body slam. So...Shun will eat a Bodyslam instead of getting a backthrow.

Well, this sort of tactics still work against Akira, Sarah..etc who get devastating situation after their 2nd throw escape. Akira vs Wolf can be really brutal at the sumo ring stage ^^;

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Perhaps it is important because vs Shun is the clearest possible case to attempt
    DTE, since he has only these 2 worthwhile throws ( Also because he is the only character that is likely to try neutral P+G, ) So in this sense, as the Shun
    player, you KNOW the opponent will definitely try to DTE, so trying this technique is more effective, even more so against Wolf ( as explained by Shota
    since this allows for the hard to get 5 dps ) Hope this is clear.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

i agree, jason. knowing joji, and his sense of style, i think he was just being jokey - any chance at back throw with shun would be deemed "important" by him.

-rich