1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial Xbox 360 - How to make a DVD backup of VF5FS

Discussion in 'General' started by Junsuina Chikara, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    Hi all. I've been doing some research on how to backup XBLA games onto DVDs and I found out how to do it so here are the steps. I'd like to mention that this will require a legit digital copy of the game and besides, I am NOT interested in piracy because I like VF and I think Sega deserve some credit for making such a great fighter. The purpose for this tutorial is for those who either a) Don't have much storage space on their HDD and b) For going to offline casuals/tournaments. Okay, onto the tutorial:

Step 1: Prepare a USB flash drive on your Xbox 360. This will have to be larger than 2GBs to accommodate the game and some system reserved storage which is 500+ MBs. Just go to the system settings -> storage and select the USB flash drive and configure it. NOTE: Doing this can potentially erase ALL data on your USB flash drive so best to be safe and make a backup on your PC.

Step 2: Copy VF5FS from your Xbox HDD to the USB flash drive.

Step 3: Download USBXtaf. This program will allow you to access and extract the actual package which contains VF5FS. Extract it. No need to install it.

Step 4: After VF5FS has been copied to your USB flash drive, connect it to a USB port on your PC. Run USBXTAFGUI_v44.exe. Click File -> Open First USB Drive. In the case this doesn't work, click "Open USB manually" and select your USB drive.

Step 5: Now you should see 2 directories. Cache Partition and Data Partition. Right-click on data partition and click "Extract". It will next ask you where you want to save the file. This is up to you but by default, it will save it in a directory called root on the desktop (I think).

Step 6: After it's finished extracting, open the folder where it was saved. You'll notice a particular tree structure to the files. It should be Content\0000000000000000\584111FE\000D0000 and inside that last folder should be a large file (1.91 GBs). You guessed it, thats VF5FS.

Step 7: With all of that done, now comes the easy part :). Put in a blank DVD (I recommend Verbatim but it's up to you) and start your burning program. There are many to choose from but it doesn't really matter what you go for as long as you can maintain folder structure on the DVD. Now just drag and drop the Content folder that was extracted earlier to your DVD.

Step 8: Double check to make sure the folder structure is the same as it was extracted. If that large file is in the root of the DVD or is in root of one of the earlier directories, the Xbox 360 will NOT see it so it's very important that the folder structure is maintained (Content\0000000000000000\584111FE\000D0000). Set the write speed to 4x and finalise the disc. I'm not sure if finalisation is required but from game burning tutorials that I've read, it was always noted to finalise but it may not be necessary.

That's it! Now just to test that it works, disconnect your Xbox 360 HDD (after turning it off first ofcourse ;)) and start up your Xbox. Eject the tray and put in the disc you just burnt. The Xbox should report a disc of "Mixed Media", that's fine. Go to the "Games" tab of your Xbox and open "My Games". If VF5FS was burnt properly, it will show up there. If it isn't there, you did something wrong or the media you used for burning is bad. If you followed everything properly, you really shouldn't have a problem. I burnt a copy and it worked on the 1st go.

I'd just like to mention that because it's burnt on a disc, there WILL be loading times so the game won't load as quickly as it would from the HDD or USB drive. Also, I found that when you're waiting for a fight, there will be a brief moment at the start of the fight where there is no music, it's just still loading the music but it takes like 2-3 seconds so not so bad. The gameplay is perfectly fine, there aren't any problems at all. Lastly, if you have it on your HDD and don't need to use a disc to play it, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE play it from the HDD. When playing online matches, you will force yourself and the other player to wait longer to get any games going so play from the HDD.

Mister likes this.
  2. Junsuina Chikara

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    Just a side note, I couldn't get the Item pack to work so there won't be any custom costumes unfortunately :(. I tried a couple of different ideas but I could never get VF5FS to see the costume pack that was on the disc.

3. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

This is an interesting info. I always tought how could i make vf5fs work better for offline events and now i have a way to put it on a dvd. I guess the file on the disk is still bonded to your garmetag right?

4. Junsuina Chikara

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    Yeah, the game is still tied to your gamertag so if you use it on a different Xbox, you'll just have the trial version. You'll have to either download your gamertag on that Xbox and keep signed in whenever using the game or put your gamertag on a USB flash drive and plug it in to that Xbox and sign in.