1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Um VF4 NOT to be best looking fighter?????

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Cause, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Although this probably belong in the general section:

i wasn't too excited by this video... no tnearly so much as when I saw doa2 for the first time.

the new characters look pretty lame, and the old ones don't appear to have changed at all (graphically).

that beach looks nice, and so do the birds, but there are no fighters there...

it seems they're trying to crank it out , character wise at least.

it does make the X-box seem strong though.

On a realted note, i had been wondering how AM2 would get around the anti-alaising problems of ps2, since even team ninja couldn't do it. In an interview with the silent hill team, the director/producer said, when asked about how they dealt with this problem for SH2, he said "technically it's not really possible to completely combat that problem".

Looks like shitty edges for vf4 should be expected, but i'm still hoping yu can pull it off.

and as far as VF4 looking worse than DOA3, i think that the low quality video we've seen is no indicator of the final game's graphics, all in all. At least vf4 seems to being built from the ground up.

spotlight

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Beautiful looking game! X-box's power is certainly earning a lot of credibility, assuming the final product is on the same level as the demo.

However, right after I watched the DOA3 demo I fired up the VF4 demos and it was pretty clear to me that VF4 was more advanced on a technical level. DOA3's backgrounds are beautiful but they don't have anything close to the ground texture and dynamics of the sand and snow in VF4. The DOA3 characters' clothing are mostly stiff and the characters themselves are not as intricately shaded or lighted as the VF4 characters.

However, the DOA3 demo does something better than the VF4 demo--and that's producing excitement and the "oohs" and "aahs." The way characters fall from stage to stage, the beach scene (I'm not sure this is going to be an interactive part of the stage though, if at all) and the ice cavern stage are jaw-dropping. I mean, WOW, the DOA3 demo is hot. It's style is brash, bold and adrenaline inducing. Even the music was more memorable. VF4's energy level just pales in comparison.

Technically, however, VF4 is obviously superior.

P.S. The drunken martial art character in DOA3 is looking pretty sweet! I also love the idea that a new character is going to have the "snake" kung fu art, but I didn't think her kata looked all that impressive.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ice-9 on 03/30/01 03:52 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Addendum: I forgot to mention this but in terms of spacing DOA3's stages definitely look more interesting. Aside from Jeffry's and Aoi's stage, mainly for the sand and snow, VF4's stages seem so boring. Static. Of course, these are all icing on the cake. How the gameplay is handled and how the stages play a role is of course the most important factor.

5. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest, with the quality of the video, I can't seem to see a lot of difference in the characters or the game really with DOA2. They've added new characters. yay. But is it going to play like DOA2? Likely 100% the same. Which, imo, has a novelty value of about an hour.

DOA just didn't cut it for me - hmm...how to say it....too many move strings. That's it really...not enough single moves - everything's a 4 or 5 hit string. Me no like. ;)

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well, I still personally like DoA2 (moreso after playing it quite a bit with people and on Arcade controls, with the exception of keeping in the free-move button/versus/images/icons/smile.gif--That wasn't a feature of the arcade I think).

However, I agree with Llanfair in terms of impressions of the DoA3 video. I am impressed, but really, it looks like another implementation of the DoA2 engine, except the playing area seems to be potentially larger with more complex (not that much more complex) details. The animation style is the same as far as I can tell (which isn't a bad thing). A lot of it seems to be the same overall. Just on a more powerful platform. Nothing revolutionary, but perhaps evolutionary in the series.

Keep in mind, this may only be an early techdemo. But I guess I am hoping for it to be much more than this with the next game in the series.

-Chanchai

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Sega and AM2 will have some VERY strong competiton... with SC2 and DOA3 coming up. It'll take really MIND BLOWING effects to pull it off. (I thought the beach scene was fantastic... )

Vicks Biru

8. Guest

Guest Guest

vf4 vs doa3

rant ahead. just skip it. get out of here. go home. youre too.... blonde!!!!

i like the high quality animation of vf, it has a subtle effect of making the whole game a lot more realisitc. same with clothing. i think the clothing code in vf4 must be very complex to be fast and good.

the doa3 animation looks much worse quality compared ot vf4. and the characters seem to be exactly the same, not updated. that was probably due to the rush of needing to put out a demo, im sure theyl update em. team ninja loves character design. really, btw, i have no doubt now, XBOX is going to kill. goodbye ps2. remeber how i said we dont need to put up with horrible jaggies, bad textures etc. the system is just designed badly, period. you can in theory overcome its probs (or so sony engineers say) and we have had maybe 1 or 0.5 or 0 examples of this in specific real life cases. only blind faith-filled idiots think vf4 on ps2 will be a worthy undertaking. id honestly rather see a vf4 on GBA (that'd be fun, hey theres an idea).

im worried for nintendo. what if ms ends up dominating this market? xbox is more powerful than gc and will most likely have better developer support. xbox will also have 11 sega ttiels a launch (did u guys read about that.)
    nintendo has always been good at making money but ms is such a harsh competitor, what if they stamp nintendo out completely? thats really ms's style. nintendo will always make tons of money due to gba but i dont want them to get their asses handed to them in the console market. in the past (n64) they could peacfully exist in the corner of the market, but with microsoft now, who knows? they are going to spend 500 million on advertising and are willing to lose 1 billion in first 4 years. i hope nintendo survives, but i dont see how they can lure developers like ms. and nintendo going toe to toe with sega, konami, practically everyone.... i hope something works out for the best.

actually i have no idea why they are making suzuki waste his time making a ps2 version. its just a big f@cking waste of time to me. its really an insult. the system is so crappy, and suzuki has limited time to work on projects.

anyway back to doa3, another thing doa3 had was, in a couple of the scenes (didnt like the ice cave that much) a lot of great level atmosphere. the levels were very big. and went far, far into the distance, with many buildings, vf does not have it to this extent. (the mountain one with the snake style woman. and the ocean) i think the ocean is showing off the new procedural texture thing or whatever. if those are polygons, holy shiat.
    anyway, that snake woman level was showing how DOA3 really had many polys to spear. huge buildings covered by other builfings. in vf4 each building is kinda there for a purpose. and i didnt like the level design mcuch at all. id prefer more realistic, bigger versions of Vf3 levels. not those wierd ones with little ramps and stuff. i didnt like the vf4 levels at all, except for sand and snow effects.

i think vf4 is definetly going to have better gameplay though. id like to see anyone try to copy vf's gameplay so that wed have more games to play. not the hokey whiz bang stupid consumer gamplay of the other fighters.
    i should edti this but i just had to write a big paper yesterday and dont want to feel like i put more effort into this than that. lol

peace out. jtx

9. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Re: vf4 vs doa3

Jesus what did Sony ever do to you. There is no way X-BOX will defeat Sony. Mainly because Sony is just aasociated with videogames Microsoft is not. Sony is the cool hip choice and that is all most people will care about. It is not about great games if it was Sega would have won the console wars. It is about how cool owning a certain console makes you look to your friends. People want what every one else has and that's why Sony will win.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

10. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

To be fair to DoA3, the VF4 video looks like the same old VF too, only one new move was seen, and no 3D movement to speak of.

But we all know it's gonna rock DoA3's ass. =)

--------------
    Formerly known as Fogira Four

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think DOA2's gameplay is the most cohesive I have ever seen. Even more so than VF3. Almost everything in the game system makes sense, and therein however lies the problem. In DOA2 it is too clear what is the "right" choice and what is the best thing to do and the game quickly boils down to a simple matter of executing rocks-papers-scissors. In VF3 there are more variables to worry about, more choices in attack and defense that have to be made. At the other end of the spectrum of course is Tekken, where the game system is so unfocused you wonder whether the developers knew how the game would be played at a high level.

I have no idea what DOA3's gameplay is like.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ice-9 on 03/30/01 01:37 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

12. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

"There is no way X-BOX will defeat Sony"

- agreed! not that i have a preference really.

13. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Hell if I had my way or the world was fair at all Dreamcast would be the king of the world. Can you imagine how many great games their would be if they had 5+ years.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

14. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

In DOA2 it is too clear what is the "right" choice and what is the best thing to do and the game quickly boils down to a simple matter of executing rocks-paper-scissors. In VF3 there are more variables to worry about, more choices in attack and defense that have to be made.

<hr></blockquote>

I agree. One of the assets of VF3 is that there are many choices to be made stemming from one action. For instance, if a character leads with a high punch or elbow and it hits, that leads to other options (set-ups, throws, rushes). If the same attack is blocked or misses, then that opens up more choices (blocking, dodging, interrupts, option select). It's one of the things that adds depth to the game. It makes gameplay so much more interesting. It's important to have good graphics, but depth in gameplay makes you play the game for longer than a month.

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

At the other end of the spectrum of course is Tekken, where the game system is so unfocused you wonder whether the developers knew how the game would be played at a high level.

<hr></blockquote>

How is the game system unfocused? I thought it was a system based 10-string combos and juggles.

-GhostDog

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It makes gameplay so much more interesting. It's important to have good graphics, but depth in gameplay makes you play the game for longer than a month.

Actually, I do think that DOA2 has a lot of depth. My issue with it is that most of that depth does not need to be accessed due to the clear cut way in which the gameplay is structured.

How is the game system unfocused? I thought it was a system based 10-string combos and juggles.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic here, but 10-strings is a great example of what is not used at high levels of play that is specific to Tekken. Also, Tekken is not based on juggles; otherwise the game would have a G button to buffer and cancel in a juggle.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

ok.
    let our predictions go down in the history books

17. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

So what do you mean by unfocused? And what is used at high levels of play that are specific to Tekken?

I'm not trying to start a debate or flame or whatever, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I'm curious about what goes on at a high level Tekken game./versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-GhostDog

18. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    oh man VF4 is being outdone before it comes out...
    What was that rule of diminishing returns again???...

it seems like we are moving quickly graphically....

hmm sega makes the annoucement that VF4 will be on PS2

then sega annouces 11 games for X-Box...

is Sega in money making mode....Sure is!

Awesome!

CrewNYC

<font color=red>Jyunen hayaindayo!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

19. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    The quality of that druken guy in the DOA3 Demo is close to DOA2, but did you see the chick and the stage after that!!! Amazing....that should be my little PAI!!! WOO HOO!

CrewNYC

<font color=red>Jyunen hayaindayo!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

20. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Never forget the the 2 gameengines are very different.
    I think AM2 will put a lot of power mainly on cloths-animation and also on realistic interaction with background(snowstage,sandstage, you know Yu is very fond about little details). Maybe DA3 will put all the power in textures and poligoncount on fighters. Look how different the focus is in FV2 v.s SC for example. I still believe that Naomi 2 should be a little bit more powerfull then the XBOX even if it uses old components like the two Power VR graphicprocessors..... I hope VF4 comes on a worthy console(the PS2 isn't a worthy console due it's various limitations in hardware components, why should Yu suzuki talk about a very balanced naomi 2 board in an PS2 -VF4 interview hehehe)

Yeah Adam, talking about the desperate need of making money, when your cash flow is desperatly low

P.S most importantly ,please Yu, don't ruin the Vf-Gameplay(massmarketcompatible)