1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding Nitaku - on behalf of n00bs

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Franz, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Well, within that same part of the book, it talks about TEG using the input buffer for TEG, but it doesn't go into detail about the conditions of it.

Ok, Akai's explanation made it clear now why it was so inconsistent at small disadvantage. It makes complete sense after I mapped out the frames. This makes it clear as well why ETEG gives you a much bigger window for throw escapes compared to ETEG (you get the full 10+11 frames window for TE's).

Sorry for doubting you guys, but TEG at anything below -8 just seems too impractical to use. I'll give it a try next time at the arcades to see how it goes.

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Yeah, this happens to me nearly everytime I try to do TE but fail.. I forget to delay my TE until the buffer window. Thanks Akai for explanation.

3. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I mapped it out in-case people care to see...

This is probably why when Myke said that 10 frame window always exists I didn't really believe it, cause that 10 frame window is not for TE, it's only the input buffer which ultimately limits your effective TE window. So it's misleading to think that there is always a 10 frame window for TE's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" style="height: 150px;"><pre>

Legend:

* = Recovery frames (no action/input is possible)
    - = Throw execution frames
    # = Throw active/detection frames
    @ = Idle frames

-12 Situation for 1P

Frames 67890123456789012345678901234567890
    1P Frame *****************@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    2P Frame *****-----------##@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    TE Window $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    1P Input Buffer &&&&&&&&&&
    [!!!!!!!!!]

Effective TE window = 9 frames

-8 Situation for 1P

1P Frame *************@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    [!!!!!!]

Effective TE window = 6 frames

-5 Situation for 1P

1P Frame **********@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    [!!!]

Effective TE window = 3 frames
    </pre></div></div>

Conclusion: TEG is possible at non throw guaranteed situation like what KoD, Myke, Akai and others said. The less the recovery, the smaller effective window you have for TEG.

4. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Nice! Thanks, Srider, I already had the idea but seeing a map of it is even better.
    Nooooob Powwwaaaaaaaa!

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

So basically the TE window is:
    1 - as long as the recovery time (and no more) if the recovery time is 10 frames or less
    2 - only the last ten frames of the recovery time if the recovery time is more than 10 frames

Plus 11 frames in each case, which is when you can still TE even if the throw is already happening.

Sounds good...

6. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    The throw escape window is always 10 frames before throw connects and 11 frames after throw connects - thus, 21 frames or ~1/3 second.

If you want to use more advanced techniques, such as throw escape guard (TEG), you are imposing your own limit to the throw escape frame window reducing the window to 10 frames or less.

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Is that because no move as a recovery time of less than 10 seconds?
    So basically my point #1 in my previous post doesn't really exist?

8. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    No its about that you can only successfully input TEG when the throw escape window (when TEs register) overlap with buffer window (when your inputs register). And on top of that it needs to be within recovery so that the guard registers in time and no whiffed throw comes out. (If you do throw command in neutral situation, the game assumes you are trying to do a throw..It cannot discriminate between throw-escape and a throw attempt.. in TEG and ETEG you cancel the throwattempt with guard before the throw-attempt can initiate. But the inputs still count as throwescapes if they are within TE window)

I used slightly wrong wording in my previous post..I didnt mean buffer window but the window when TEG works.

Using a ETEG is easier because you get lot longer window within which to press guard... although in theory and often practise failed evade is just about as bad. And something that people dont realize is that the actual throwescape window isnt as long as the whole failed evade animation, although it is longer than in TEG case (throwescapes after recovery is over still count in ETEG case cause you can press guard later)...

In non-ETEG case you can input throw escapes after the recovery, which would allow you to escape possible throws, but then you wouldnt be able to guard so a whiffed throw would come out if opponent wouldnt do the throw.. (or it wouldnt whiff...which would be pretty embarrassing heh)

Damn...at this rate Im gonna get confused myself!

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I understand although, this one time, I did mean simply TE and not TEG.
    And, yes, I am trying to confuse anyone more expert than me...

bwawawa

10. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Yes, the fastest recovering move in the game (backturned P) still has 12 recovery frames (not seconds).

11. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    12 SECONDS?!?!?!? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Oh come on, I was writing in haste!

:p :p :p