1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Uneven ground?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by haste, Dec 1, 2004.

1. haste

haste Member

I tried searching before I posted this, but I'm guessing the topic might be on older version of the board.

Am I the only person who liked VF3's uneven ground? Was there a lot of player opposition to varying terrain in VF3? (I didn't play as much my senior year in high school, so I have no idea what people thought.)

Uneven ground added one more level of depth to the game, and it made for interesting stages. In VF4, the stages are, IMO, a littlle boring. It's either a square with no walls, walls that are breakable, or unbreakable walls.

Certainly the walls add an interesting aspect to the game, and provide for some funny float combos. But uneven ground allowed characters to move around and avoid some moves simply based on the terrain. It forced you to you think a little more and have faster reflexes when attacking or defending.

2. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I thought the sloped stages were cool but honestly I dont miss them much. I'd really wish if some of the stages weren't perfectly square. I really liked Taka's circular ring and the desert stage with no borders.

3. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

You're not the only one. Quite a few people here miss the more open stages from VF3.

My main gripe with VF4's stages is they're simply boring. Setting every match in square arena then trying to marry this with exotic locations dosen't really work. Jeff's, Lion's and the Palace are three of the worst examples.

Contrast this with Shun's raft or Kage's temple stages from VF3. They gave the game a tangible atmosphere and made positioning and movement much more rewarding. There was something very staisfying about booting your oponent into the sea in Jeff's island stage or throwing them off Pai's rooftop.

4. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

I second all what you wrote. Pai's rooftop is the shizzle. Shun's raft was great, loved the trainstation. The strategy was much deeper in terms of positioning and ultimately more fun (plus I was only 16 when 3 came out so I more time to play it!).

5. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeff's, Lion's and the Palace are three of the worst examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I kinda like Jeffs stage. But what I really like is his VF4 Island music. Man every time I hear that tune it's like I'm actually there at the island. I was kinda disapointed that they changed it in Evo, but I still think the Evo tune is pretty good. But above all I love the Harbor in VF4. The tunes in that stage are amazing. If I fight there I practically win every match 'cause the tune like puts me in a trance. Overall though I would like for some stages to be a little different besides square. I kinda want some stages to be circle, especially Kages stage. It does have a circle symbol and I always wanted it to be a circle. Also I really would like Lei's stage to be circle.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Sorta miss them... sorta don't... Still love the sloped stages throughout VF3. But I like the various VF4 versions as they are.

7. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    Why stop at square/circle/slope? Why not just stick the fighters in a warehouse and have them hopping on top of crates and other boxes of various size, for example?

Or like Kage's VF4 stage, you've got the open floor, a staircase along one wall, the walltop itself, and a nice little path to run down. It would be really cool if the characters were allowed to roam free in that stage, as an example.

In short, instead of making "rings", just totally disregard that notion and make "environments", or "locations". The only thing I could see against that is the dramatic change in gameplay that some stages would produce, in particular stages like the warehouse example. It would interfere with the normal flow of the game, which might not be a good thing. If done properly, however, it could end up being extremely cool.

8. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

...... NO.

9. KS_Vanessa

KS_Vanessa Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Why stop at square/circle/slope? Why not just stick the fighters in a warehouse and have them hopping on top of crates and other boxes of various size, for example?

Or like Kage's VF4 stage, you've got the open floor, a staircase along one wall, the walltop itself, and a nice little path to run down. It would be really cool if the characters were allowed to roam free in that stage, as an example.

In short, instead of making "rings", just totally disregard that notion and make "environments", or "locations". The only thing I could see against that is the dramatic change in gameplay that some stages would produce, in particular stages like the warehouse example. It would interfere with the normal flow of the game, which might not be a good thing. If done properly, however, it could end up being extremely cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

not a bad idea. however i think your idea is more along the terms of a brawler type game. Think the 70 man fight in the end of shenmue. however i dont see VF ever going in that direction. good idea tho.

and vanity, tut tut tut, no need to try to put someone elses ideas down.

10. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Heyyy, great idea. Awesome.

Nail. Head. Hammer. Boy, you really hit it.

In fact, while you're on a roll, I think you can pick up a copy of Dead or Alive on sale at your local store.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

11. PurpGuy

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    Great. Super. Excellent.

My only problem with that is Dead or Alive sucks.

12. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    So would VF if you had your way.

13. PurpGuy

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    [ QUOTE ]
    The only thing I could see against that is the dramatic change in gameplay that some stages would produce, in particular stages like the warehouse example. It would interfere with the normal flow of the game, which might not be a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound like I'm rallying a cause or anything. If I had "my way", people would read posts before replying to them.

14. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If I had "my way", people would read posts before replying to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. This actually made my day /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif I truly wish, in this case, that you had your way as many are culprits of this too often.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

15. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    So basically you're saying "here is a great idea that has a huge flaw and probably wouldn't work so don't listen to me".

Ok then...

16. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

It's just so pointless to say something like "They can put in this feature that probably won't work very well, BUT IF THEY DID A REALLY REALLY GOOD JOB WITH IT, IT CAN BE AWESOME!!!"

Well..... isn't that obvious? Anything shitty would be good if it turned out to be good.

17. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

But simply put, that's not what vf needs, nor do its fans want it.

18. PurpGuy

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    The entire premise of this thread is idle speculation and meaningless rhetoric, given that "Uneven Ground" was a concept that was abandoned after VF3.

I'm sorry for those of you who have difficulty distinguishing fantasy from reality. There are medications you can take for that.

19. PurpGuy

XBL:
    PurpGuy
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's just so pointless to say something like "They can put in this feature that probably won't work very well, BUT IF THEY DID A REALLY REALLY GOOD JOB WITH IT, IT CAN BE AWESOME!!!"

Well..... isn't that obvious? Anything shitty would be good if it turned out to be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is also pointless to talk about things that do not exist, yet that is what everyone in this thread has been doing.

20. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

I want a background where I can jump on trashcans and roll down a hill while Korean stepping.