1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Uramawari (again)...

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Chanchai, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well, as I am force-feeding myself uramawari in hopes that it will become a bigger role in my VF game, I've definitely been giving a lot more thought about it. For those who missed Myke's posts on uramawari a few months ago:
    Click on Search, enter Uramawari in the search query and either make sure that you are browsing entire post or subject line (well, you get the idea) and definitely make sure that the all posts options is selected (instead of last 10 days).

Anyways, back to uramawari... It was Ice-9 who mentioned the connection of uramawari and feeling. I certainly agree to this, but I don't mean that it is a random event (with the exception that your opponent's method of rising will be-- so to speak-- random). I think what Ice-9 meant was his intuition with his experience with what works in uramawari and what seems to not, also combined with his yomi concerning what rising option his opponent will take (hence, "feeling").

I'll definitely admit that I don't know all that much about Uramawari. Certainly there are definite conditions for it to happen (timing, opponent's method of rising, body position of fallen opponent as a reference). There certainly are uramawari that are quite definite and work most of the time for sure, but again, it usually depends on how your opponent rises (is there a truly guaranteed uramawari, I mean a specific method, or is it based on figuring out what your opponent does every time?).

Most people mention maneuvering to the head of the fallen opponent (it strongly seems it's also important to note if the opponent is belly up or down, at least to me at the moment). However, I seem to have a bigger success rate when I maneuver towards the side of an opponent, at least for quick u/f K uramawari (Lau and Pai specifically, but not limited to them afaict).

Unfortunately, I don't have a sparring partner, nor a friend that would really be patient to experiment quite a bit in Oregon... However, I guess I make up for that by just hoping the computer will experiment with more rolls and risers and what not while I have it on automated training mode... Another thing I've been doing is to use the overhead view in VF3tb on the DC, as dumb as it may seem.... but at least I can get an idea of specific angles and view things in a way that seems more conceptual to me.

Perhaps I am too late on a full out discussion on uramawari and exactly what conditions must cause it specifically, but I feel that I am getting closer to it in that "feeling" way that Ice mentioned... Meaning, I feel I have some intuition to it, and I have to hope I pull it off, but it seems more successful now since I've been making a bigger habit out of it.

In any case, I hear that there might be a chance of an uramawari faq popping up soon. /images/icons/smile.gif

I thought talks of uramawari might be nice to stimulate more VF spirit before NYG2. It certainly makes the fights more aggressive afaik, but that still depends on who you're fighting with/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Aside from being able to efficiently pull off the various defensive escapes, ura is probably the biggest undefined territory for U.S. players. Any takers to write an FAQ? With the lack of regular competition from a macro view, I'm not surprised it's been a little lax.

There is, however, one legitimate reason why ura had never been discussed to any great length, even by players who regularly attempt it. Most of the time, you can avoid getting uraed by not rolling to the side. The trick for advanced players, then, is to take advantage of the camera angle so that the opponent rolls to the side without meaning to.

ice-9

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Any takers to write an FAQ?

Well, I was thinking of turning my "post" into one by dressing it up a little more. What would you or anyone expect to find in a FAQ about Ura?

The trick for advanced players, then, is to take advantage of the camera angle so that the opponent rolls to the side without meaning to.

The camera angle should never confuse anyone into a sideroll. If you absolutely do not want a sideroll, then don't use G when struggling. Your opponent can E all he wants, but you won't sideroll if you don't touch G.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

"What would you or anyone expect to find in a FAQ about Ura?"

Well, all I would ask or expect in a Ura Faq is whatever you know or believe about Uramawari/images/icons/smile.gif. I wouldn't want the faq to be more of a burden for you than a labor of love.

Some ideas:
    -Well, I'm sure it's gonna be a list of the Ura that you know of.
    -Perhaps the conditions for the Ura to work (maybe invent your own shorthand).
    -Unless you absolutely know why uramawari happens, perhaps a personal hypothesis or theory (I assume you Ura a lot) on why it happens.

That's all I would really want out of an Ura faq, but I do hope you make one/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

5. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

Wasn't there some predefined Uramarawi stuff in erm.... that Gamest Mook with Akira's head on it ? The white one ? I remember that there was something on Uramarawi there..... or was it that Orange one ? *Confused look*

-Rulakir

6. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    that book has a ura. section for each character, it's just a matter of translation. To be honest, the easiest way to do it would probably be to get someone at NYG2 to talk to Hiro with the book; when I knew him, he enjoyed talking about that kind of stuff.

I'd also be interested in some discussion about escaping rising attacks with E, which as far as I can tell can be done in most if not all positions/rolls if timed and spaced right. But maybe everyone knows that already. If not, I'd like to see that in a FAQ alomg with ura stuff.

I'd be happy to contribute what little I know, or translate a couple of the ura sections from the mook, but I don't have time to do them all.

Spotlite

7. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: Umm... Hello?

that book has a ura. section for each character, it's just a matter of <font color=yellow>translation.</font color=yellow>

Maybe you all missed it, but the Uramawari post I made some time back (search for it) was exactly that -- a <font color=yellow>translation</font color=yellow> of each character's Ura section from <font color=yellow>Gamest Mook Act 3</font color=yellow>.

Why do I feel colourful today?

__
    m y k e

8. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

...and Mike, I still haven't forgotten to append my translations for Shun, Aoi and Taka sections. It's been...a while, eh?

9. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re:Thanks Shota..

looking forward to it!

__
    m y k e

10. clopin

clopin Well-Known Member

Why do I feel colourful today?

becasue you have <font color=yellow>yellow</font color=yellow> fever.

// clopin
    join #vfhome on the EFnet IRC network

11. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Predictably yummy, and almost funny ;)

__
    m y k e