1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Uramawari in DOA2...with every character

Discussion in 'General' started by ice-9, Jun 21, 2000.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yup, everybody (I think!) can ura in DOA2 along with Kasumi and Ayane. The method involves a wall. When the opponent is "sitting" along the wall after being hit into it, free step into the wall opposite the way the opponent slides away from the wall. The opponent's back will be exposed to you. This presents a nice guessing game: get stuck between wall and opponent's incoming attacks, or escape and risk getting uramawaried?

I don't have a second human player around so I can't test this myself yet, but it's something I accidentally discovered against the CPU. Anyone else want to try this and test for conditions? See if it works for Bass and Leon? If you can just dash forward instead of free stepping? If the direction and angle you free step makes a difference?

ice-9

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Re: Uramawari in DOA2...on a related note

Something I'd been wondering about: in the manual it says

"Escaping from the wall

If you are knocked against the wall, you will lean on the wall in a weakened state for a fixed period of time. In such an event, hold the directional button on UP or DOWN as you stand up. This will enable you to stand up while pivoting against the wall"

Sorry if I'm an idiot and everyone else knows about this, but can someone explain it? Is it a way to end the animation Jeff reffered to in his post?

thanks

Spotlight

3. TripleRaid

TripleRaid Active Member

I will have to try that. Funny I never saw it. But I miss alot of things. /images/icons/smile.gif

[​IMG] TripleRaid

4. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

all it does is get you out of the wall quicker.
    example; you get slammed into the wall, the "oh
    shit! that hurts" animation kicks in, your
    opponent starts to okizeme your ass trying to
    slam you into the wall/danger zone one more time,
    then you hold up or down to escape left or right,
    you get up quickly and away from the wall as if
    you did a u+Free/d,d+Free. if you didnt hold up
    or down, you would just get up normally, but your
    back is in front of the wall and your opponent is
    gonna pressure you into a mind game. that's how i
    see it. i use this all the time i hit the wall.

hope that helped

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

That's exactly right, except I'm pretty sure sliding out of the wall presents an urawamari opportunity for the attacker if anticipated. Messing around a bit more I've discovered you can't dash in, you actually have to free step. The angle doesn't seem to be as important although it is advantageous if you were to position yourself in such a way that you could take advantage of the opponent's back.

Also, keep in mind that the opponent can't "slide out" of the wall with a rising kick but is forced to defend or counter once up.

ice-9

6. TripleRaid

TripleRaid Active Member

Ice-9, what do you mean? Can you explain it to me? It might help in my DOA2 game. /images/icons/wink.gif

[​IMG] TripleRaid

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I wanted to test this out with Acel before I say any more, and sad to say, this uramawari tactic is a lot less useful than I had hoped.

Basically, this is what happens.

When you're punched/kicked against the wall and you crumple, you can't rise with a kick. So you either just stand up and block/reverse what you think your opponent is going to throw out (big advantage for attacker) or you can "slide" out by tapping U or D. When you slide out, your back is no longer exactly against the wall but a bit of a distance away...enough space for the attacker to free step to the back.

The reason this can work is because after sliding out, the timing is a little bit unclear as to when your character can start moving/attacking. So if confused enough, you can take advantage of the confusion by free stepping to the back. Moreover, because you can free step more than 90 degrees while the opponent is in the middle of sliding out, it's fairly easy to end up on the opponent's back.

ice-9