1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

US/Canada VF4 monthly tourneys?

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by feixaq, Sep 26, 2001.

1. dynamic-league

dynamic-league Well-Known Member

Hey ! Come on. The Dynamic League website is state of the art, minimalist don't you know :)

ON A SERIOUS NOTE.

If you guys want some help processing tournament data we can work out a deal. You email us the scores, we process the data and email it back to you, so that you can post it up on your own websites.
    It's simple, you just log the matches and the scores and leave the rest to us.

The Dynamic League doesn't require a lot of organisation.
    It would be interesting to see how stats come over there.

Then at some time in the future we can have the international clash. Should be fun.

If you are interested let us know.

"Rise to the challenge"

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Derrick,

Coming over here to beat us down should have already been part of the plan long ago. However, don't know if there's much to brag about doing that while we're "still learning" the game... I figure you are just joking/teasing whatever... but seriously, I do not doubt the abilities of some of the European players (Ryan Heart particularly), but the propaganda is making me sick to my stomach. If anything, you are embarassing the UK Players.

-Chanchai

3. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

Ranking system.

If it's not too much trouble, you could use the ELO system for ranking players against each other.
    In a nutshell, every player starts with a ranking of 1500. When a match between two players is input into the rankion system, the winning player gains an amount of points, while the same amount is deducted from the loser. The amount is based on the difference in the players individual ranking. If the winner has a higher ranking than the loser, the amount of points is lower and vice versa.
    The system is also used by Decipher for ranking the players in all their collectable card games and works quite well. It's just a bit difficult to administer unfortunately.

4. Chanchai

Re: Ranking system.

I believe in having competitions.... but honestly, I don't believe a ranking system will do much good for the "community" when it comes to VF4. That is, unless everyone plays in every tournament all the time...

The last thing I wanna hear on the tournament forum or maybe even this forum is BS like: "Hey, I'm better than PlayerX here, but he's ranked higher than me!" or some crap like that. Not to mention the politics of crossing regions over based on no/one/a few tournaments where they actually meet.

If you want local rankings, fine. But anything that stretches outside of anything close to optimal is most likely going to do more harm than good.

Not that I'm proposing we do this, but I'd rather keep tournament scorecards for each player as opposed to rankings. I wouldn't want score cards with rankings though.

-Chanchai

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

You must either A: have good intentions and *really* thick skin (skull)
    B: enjoy seeing pissed off responses or
    C: just post and never read the followups.

Your trash talking is never appreciated, never enjoyed, and starting with the next post, never going to be read by me again. Who's with me on this one? Myke should have crammed your account a long time ago. First for ad spam, and second on general principle ... what good is a registered poster who takes and takes from the forum without ever giving anything useful in return?

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

6. dynamic-league

Re: Ranking system.

Could you tell me a bit more about the ELO system?
    What does ELO stand for?

Thanks

"Rise to the challenge"

7. dynamic-league

Chanchai,

If you got sick stomach try medicine. Or maybe could be what we call "butter flies".

"Rise to the challenge"

8. Chanchai

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

" ... Here we have the UK Akira Kid versus the reigning UK
    champion Ryan Hart 'LionHeart' in our exibition match. We may see a
    three hit combo here from Akira Kid {talking about of course the SPOD or
    the DLC}. Yes, we may see one indeed. This combo is rarely seen in
    Dennmark and the USA, so don't be too suprised when the UK Akira Kid
    uses it on you. May we please see a three-hit combo. Three hit combo is
    being requested. Can we have a three hit combo, please. Is there a
    three hit combo on the menu? {Akira Kid ends round with breakguard,
    single kick, DLC, crowd goes nuts} Yes! There it is! The three hit
    combo delivered as per request! Now that is truly top notch. The three
    hit combo was delivered on request." Now Ryan Hart continues on with
    Kage. "May we have an air combo please. Is there an air combo on the
    menu? Ryan, the crowd would like to see an air combo please. {Ryan ends
    the round with a kickflip} Now, that was a lovely kickflip, but it was
    not the air combo that we requested. Now, the kickflip was quite nice.
    It's a lovely move you know, the kickflip. You see, you press up/back
    plus kick and you get a lovely kickflip. But that's not what we requested."

<hr></blockquote>

(taken from: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://world.std.com/~opus/vf/tour_e_london.html>London Showdown Report 1997</A>)

This is not the sort of commentary I would want to hear while playing any of the VF games! Also, given what is written in the report, it's definitely not the place to be judging skill in VF3 for the use of modern statements. I'm sure there was a lot of awesome stuff for the times in that tournament though, and yomi was good and all, but that's probably all it represents when trying to use the claims for today (and I have the same sentiments for Max Battle--though I also have faith in Akira Kid's reputation). Not that Superdoug is the only US player either... (would like to have met him though)

About the ELO System:
    I'm certain that's the rating system used (or modified) in various Chess leagues and organizations. I didn't have much luck on FIDE's site on an explanation of it, but I've already got a feel for it anyways. In theory, it's a nice idea and could work, but the amount of matchups and competitive environments in Western VF4 is not enough for registering relavent data or making the rankings all that accurate. Maybe things will change, but I just don't see it happening. However, for the sake of your Dynamic League, Derrick, you could go ahead and try it and maybe it'll work. As 3of19 mentioned, it would be hard to administer such a rating system.... Guess that's what VF.Net was originally for...

-Chanchai