1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

US/UK players

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by [PKG], Oct 4, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Roy,

You're a cool guy in my book and all... but please don't add to this UK-pulling-US's-leg thing. I used to have a lot more respect to the European players in general, but I can't help but get so annoyed when you guys "jokingly taunt us" in the form of a challenge.

I always take the offers seriously because I really want to see what you guys have to offer. I'm always skeptical on the "UK's best is as good as Japan's best" thing, and I'll admit that. However, I do want to see how the UK players play and all.

The London Showdown sounded like a great event, but it certainly was not something intended to judge the "future of VF3 handling between two continents." (sorry, that's a remark that goes more towards Derrick than you, but some of those comments really annoyed me).

If I'm sounding uptight, well, go ahead and say I'm uptight. But honestly, taunting and challenging followed by a "I wasn't serious" sort of remark is something I (and I think some others) frown upon. Many of us even frowned upon CrewNYC (Andy) for doing the same at some point. However, as annoying as that was to some of us, we're suddenly fed a TON OF IT out of Europe.

In any case, according to Mutant (who was the Mike that went to the UK), you still have your reputation of "flashiest VF player (Mike's) ever seen."

-Chanchai

2. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Take some time to read the board, the majority of the hardcore players acknowledge that the japanese players are the better players overall. They simply have more competition and play more frequently that we have the opportunity too.

CrewNYC

[​IMG]

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Oops, yeah, that's the guy, Mo Imran...

4. Chanchai

The Japanese players also have people crazy enough to choose VF over family, go into debt because of VF arcade scene, etc.... Sadly for them, feudal ambition doesn't mix so well with modern society/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif Depend on where your ambition is headed anyways.... certainly not in VF. Hmm... After saying that, I think I'll go rent the movie, "Ghost Dog" for which Ghost Dog names himself after (and Forrest Whitaker kicks ass too!). I still haven't seen that movie.

But hey... Choose a path, perfect it.... that alone is quite an accomplishment I guess.

Also, not saying we don't have such people here in the US, but as far as VF goes, I haven't seen many or any examples of that sort of devotion. Just hope people don't castrate themselves to hope for the VF Ability from God.

-Chanchai

5. Prince_Hatim

Prince_Hatim Well-Known Member

Hi, kind of in response to AdamYuki's invitation (and the other yanks') Nothing would please me more than having the opportunity to challenge the best of the US.

The truth is this...... we stopped playing VF3tb a long time ago partly because of the reason PKG mentioned and also because the interest level dropped so low, that people couldn't be bothered to go the arcade anymore. Actually another one of the main reasons is that the main arcade closed down.

I appreciate your offer, but it just seems too difficult to come over./ If I go to USA I want to go for at least 2 weeks. The most I would be able to do at the moment is 5 days including travelling.

Just as you guys are finding it difficult to come here, it's the same for us.

I've thought about coming over many times, and the plan would be that we try and get a few of us together and practice HARDCORE to prepare for a battle with you guys, because I know it won't be easy.

*sigh* I really don't know at the moment, I'm in two minds about it. I haven't ruled it out completely but quite frankly, the longer we leave it the less likely it is to happen.

We'll talk about it in the weekend and maybe let you know next week.

Take it easy Yuki, and the rest of you lot too.

PS. They would never let me on the plane.

<font color=red>The bigger I am....The harder they fall.</font color=red>

[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Prince_Hatim on 10/04/01 06:52 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. Prince_Hatim

Summers,

your replies just seem a bit too hardcore. Your posts are just as bad as you say our ones are.

You assume too much, and you take what people say out of context. I mean look at your reply to Roy (PKG's) post!!!

You wrote:

"So u're suggesting that as time passes, myke just became shit with the game? Or that UK VFers improved over time and with no rematch, UK VFers are naturally stronger than Myke now?"

I mean what kind of nonsense assumption is that?!?!?

This is just a VF message board and we tend to muck about a lot and stuff.

So I'm going to take the liberty of saying that I bet you're one of the shitter VF players, since you've got such a big mouth.

Anyway, whatever man. Noone should take non-serious posts seriously, if you know what I mean.

Get some wins and then come back and talk to me. HAHHAHAHAHA

Later.

[​IMG]

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

ohhhh
    insulted~
    HAHAHA

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

8. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Did I "hear" my name?

Anyway, I think I may be approaching that level of VF ambition. Why else would I go to New York to play against people I've never met in a game that no one around me plays anymore? Oh well, it was fun anyway...

And yes, you should go check that movie out. It's got nice music (Wu Tang, I believe), and interesting characters. The story is a little on the strange side, but I liked it. Shameless plug...

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

9. Chanchai

hehe, yeah you heard your name. And yes, you and I have that VF ambition. We just don't sacrifice our lives for it.

Whereas the guy in GhostDog is crazy enough to lead an old "samurai inspired" way of life in modern times. A mercenary/ronin of sorts. Well, he does find a "master" anyhow. Forest Whitacker no less. At least that's what I gathered from reading about the movie. Sounds cool actually.

As for VF ambition.... Did anyone read the translated Ikebukuro Sarah essays that Shota translated awhile back? That was pretty scary. His (ex)wife actually asks him: "What's more important?! Your family or Virtua Fighter." Wanna take a guess at his answer? And supposedly, he went on to marry another VFer...

I wonder if he's gonna go as far as Francisco Terraga (the grandfather of "classical guitar"). When he was about to marry his fiance, she purposefully (as a joke) played a bad note. The wedding was off! A VF situation of that would be pretty funny (or scary depending on how you look at it).

-Chanchai

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I wonder if he's gonna go as far as Francisco Terraga (the grandfather of "classical guitar"). When he was about to marry his fiance, she purposefully (as a joke) played a bad note. The wedding was off! A VF situation of that would be pretty funny (or scary depending on how you look at it).

Say, there is a VF machine at the wedding, and they exchange their vows over the machine, he picks Kage, she picks Akira, he goes for the (TT) low kick and whiffs, she goes for the Shoulder Ram ~ P ~ DLC but only manages a 2/3 DLC, and he calls off the wedding? Hmm...

[​IMG]

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Actually, I did read that particular tale at Ed's site.
    Yeah, talk about a revolting development..he was afraid he if he said ' family', his wife would never let him play VF again.

when his son was born, they never even consulted him about what the kid's name should be.

How sad.

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

12. Electro_Jacky

Electro_Jacky Well-Known Member

PSN:
    electrolex
    XBL:
    electro lex
    I hate to burst your bubble mate but Ghost Dog is a shit film, put it this way, it was so boring and crap I fell asleep.

THAT'S.......IT.......NOW!!!

13. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I hate to burst your bubble mate but Ghost Dog is a shit film, put it this way, it was so boring and crap I fell asleep.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. And I'd have to be kinda pathetic to let that "burst my bubble". It's not like I made the film!/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Hatim, I can appreciate the difficulty in traveling across the Atlantic just to play a game...I too would have to think long and hard about making a trip to the U.K. (why not make a trip the opposite direction and end up in Japan and use the same ticket to go home? is what I always conclude). However, I don't think you can use the "We haven't played the game in a long time" as a real excuse...I mean, that's an excuse for not being good NOW, but that doesn't excuse bragging and then declining to make real on the challenge. If you've grown tired of TB, that could be a valid reason not to come down, but from what I sense from the post, you're tired of it because there's little new competition. Well, my friends, come on down...

15. Prince_Hatim

Damn! You took it like a man?!?

Respect dude.

[​IMG]

16. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

You have to see that movie its a Jim Jarmucsh film. So go rent that Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and The Emperor and The Assasin. also read Mushashi and Hagakure which is what Ghost Dog is constsntly quoting in that film. Then maybe just maybe you will understand The Way:)

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

17. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Hatim...
    Errrrr?

18. [PKG]

[PKG] Active Member

Maybe its me... But it seems your looking for an argument?

Don't give attitude and you won't get it back!

19. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Dickhead
    I wasn't sure what he was on abt
    that's all.

upon reading it a second time..I think I do now~

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SummErs on 10/05/01 12:18 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

20. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I hate to jump in, since Summers vs. Anyone is good for a laff~~~

But if Summers was looking for a fight, what were you doing coming here and saying "ehh, I played a couple of Americans. I wasn't too impressed. You'd think they'd be better." ?

That's a picture perfect definition of trolling.

"Ehhh, I played my nephew in England in soccer for three days about four years ago. I broke even with him. I can infer that despite their enthusiasm, I could easily whip the entire English team with my shoelaces tied together. Give me ten minutes to get used to gimping around first and I should be able to show them all up."
    -----
    Anyway, maybe this is a cultural thing? It goes against stereotype. Americans are supposed to be the ugly, loudmothed braggarts. The people of the UK have a reputation for being polite. It must be some genetic freak occurence - two or three UK players come on here smelling up the board with random shit. The Americans are doing their best to remain patient, but it's a losing battle.
    Here, let me explain this to you slowly.

A sample US "Gathering" post: -'Hey all! I'm pleased to announce that there's a tentative date for the "VF Armageddon" gathering. Everyone's welcome and Jim has offered to put up anyone for free if they can't find cheap lodging. We'll have representatives from 16 states and 5 different countries so far, and that's just the confirmed list of people. It should be as fun as last year. Don't miss out!'

A sample UK Gathering Post: 'It's pretty clear that Americans are weak at VF. This has been in ample evidence since your hero Superdoug retreated five years ago. Why don't you come over here and get an education? We'd be glad to spank you repeatedly until you have some inkling of how to play the game. Come to the UK. Unless of course you're scared. Only a small handful of players have tried before and we whupped them. If you don't come immediately, it must be a sign of cowardice. Where are your balls, yanks?'

Are you seeing the difference? Americans have to travel good distances to play each other, and Canadians and Australians have to make enormous investments of time and money to do the same. But they do it, and they consistently report back that it was fun, and they will cheerfully do it again. US players on this board are constantly referring to their good buddies in Australia or Canada that they have played before and wish they could play again. Nobody on here says "geez, I miss those UK players. I go there whenever I have the chance and I sure wish I had another opportunity to come again and play. I had a wonderful time the last time I was there." ...
    That's because nobody EXPECTS to have a wonderful time there. What they expect is this hostile, competitive environment packed with trashtalking cocksuckers. They expect Derrick to stand next to them with a megaphone pointed toward their right ear saying shit like "ohhh, and the yank gets spanked with yet another three hit combo! Oh no! It looks like another nobrainer for Ryan! " .... going to UK sounds about as fun and educational as paying money to clean a bathroom of a senior citizen with the runs.

Now to be fair I KNOW that isn't the case. I REMEMBER Doug's post about a million years ago saying that despite Derrick's jabbering, he had a good time. I'm sure that the UK is a FINE place to play from a social point of view. But nobody in the world would ever guess it from the negativity running back and forth on the board. Derrick started it by giving the wrong impression years ago, and you (PKG) are keeping that impression alive. Where do you think this 'attitude' comes from that you're referring to?

1. All americans lack a sense of humor except Superdoug?
    2. You're trying to piss people off on purpose and don't WANT anyone to come to the UK to play?
    3. Your trash talk is designed to drum up competitive spirit but it's backfiring miserably, and it has guaranteed that many good players (myself include) wouldn't come to the UK if you paid me.

------
    Jesus do I need to learn to edit. The UK brings out my inner fire in the realm of International Speed Typing and Olympic Righteous Indignation.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>