1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Uses for Lion's lesser used moves?

Discussion in 'Lion' started by F1RE_FL00D, Mar 5, 2008.

1. F1RE_FL00D

F1RE_FL00D Active Member

Just curious as to how anyone might be incorporating some of Lion's less frequently (if at all) used moves. Moves such as:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif,
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif,
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif,

etc.

2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Actually i find /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif a really good move and use it frequently. It's on positive frames on block but most opponents don't know that so i usually manage to nab them after that. The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif followup is decent too, once of the few lows that are on even frames on simple hit.

I use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif for oki, that way if the opponent rolls Lion closes the distance. I know i should use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to jump back to safety but i like being reckless with lion.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is not that useful really, its only interesting property is that it recovers high so that makes it sort of a meta-game move. So far i've used it only once, against a friend of mine who plays wolf who has developed his reflexes to block sweeps on reaction. He had already blocked 2 of them and low throwed ftw so i used this move for a change, i recovered high, he low throwed and i got a free float. That said, if you want a safe low stick to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif instead.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is a humiliation move really. The move does jump over lows and ducks under highs at some points during its animation but it's just too slow and gives no followup whatsoever. Or at least i havent found any. I use it when i finish the round with a pounce and want to taunt the opponent.

3. F1RE_FL00D

F1RE_FL00D Active Member

I know someone mentioned to me once that you can side step then do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif when an opponent is rising in order to end up behind them but I haven't really had much luck with that. Also, I find I get knocked out of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif when I have tried to use it in close range fighting. Maybe i am just not using it in the right situations.

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

My take...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    Not entirely useless, but you need to either be predicting heavily on an opponent, exploiting the nature of laggy battles, or your opponent has to have a really bad habit of doing low rising attacks or other long execution low attacks.

The positive is that you get a free /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif combo if you land /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    Virtually useless or at least a waste. You might as well go /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif if you were going for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. I tend to get this move if I somehow botch inputting /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    Throwable on block (despite requiring a low block). Lion's opponents should know they get a free throw if they block this low attack--but it's so counter-intuitive that they tend not to do it. I mainly use this attack for its evasive properties, especially if the opponent is prone to using linear attacks. When my opponents tend to use linear attacks on ukemizeme, I tend to use this attack to go around their ukemezeme.

My personal over-used sequence is to poke someone with something like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and then followup with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. However, I don't recommend people do this, it's just a sequence that works decently enough for me, though rarely for great reason outside of evasive properties.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    Quite useful! Especially if you use the back-turned option ( /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif ). I use this move a lot, perhaps more than I should. It's half-circular and it's a low poke.

Despite the frame-stats, backturned option seems to be relatively safe. On hit, I like zoning the opponent by doing (backturned) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif which has Lion running away from the opponent via uppercut--when the opponent whiffs or tries to dash in, I punish with either a long low poke in /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or a nice interrupt combo starting with (backturned) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. For low blocking enemies, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. You can also use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for a short ranged retreat (with a built-in hop).

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif
    I enjoy using Lion's maneuvers, though they are very tricky to master or use properly.

The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif followup is nice since a normal hit yields a guaranteed /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and a counter-hit yields a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif combo or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif --> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + [K} followup is risky if blocked, but a decent evading low poke for some tight moments.

-Chanchai

5. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

You can try a 0 frame throw after 3P+K+G P (similar situation to Akira's pull in throw). Even if you miss the timing opponent won't be able to crouch, he has to attack to stop the throw.

6. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    There is no use for rare used moves that's why they're rare used. But you can use them to spice up your gameplay. Well, there is one use.

7. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

I used u/f+k to great effect the other day -- punishing anticipated low rising attacks. Dunno what it is, but the timing on u+k for that seems a heck of a lot harder online than it did for me offline or in prior VFs. Is it just me?

Best,

-Jason

8. Cadger

Cadger Member

Do you guys know of any use of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif? I know it only launches on CH and for only a few more points of damage than /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif so it seems pretty useless to me.

And as for the timing of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif I'm guessing its just something to do with online. I know I can never get Jacky's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to connect on live for some reason.

9. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    I think it jumps over lows, doesn't it?

10. F1RE_FL00D

F1RE_FL00D Active Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is a circular move. It is for when you think your opponent will anticipate you doing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (which is linear) and try to evade it. If they evade they will get hit. I am not sure if /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is a full circular or only half though.

11. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

It's full circular (check the command lists next time you need to know move properties >.>).

12. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Cha:
    I do have a harder time timing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif as an anti-rising attack online. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif does seem to have a really large hit-window. Though in a similar situation, I actually sometimes use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (as much as I generally don't advise it) if only because it can combo on hit and you're generally fine if someone blocks it.

radnRADN & F1RE_FL00D:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is a weird move to me...

-It's full-circular but it won't launch on normal hit, you'll just end up with a fun back-turned game opportunity, which is fine by me because Lion, imo, has some great options with a back-turned game and I enjoy those games a lot (maybe too much). You can also opt to just string /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, but I prefer the back-turned game here.

-It's both a hopping attack (hopping at the midpoint of its execution frames) and it turns around--so this attack doesn't clash with throws.

-Launching on CH combined with being a high... This means you'll only launch if the opponent is standing. It's fun punishing Vanessa's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and what not, but standing lows are the only lows you'll punish. Though if this move was special high and launched on normal hit, I would think this move would become very, very powerful (maybe too powerful with how things are in VF5?).

-The problem is that if you are interrupted, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is safer because you get slammed back turned usually or get launched in an awkward way that many (but not all) opponents can't maximize damage with--if /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is interrupted. If /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is interrupted, you can eat a pretty wicked combo if I recall, especially because of the hopping up property.

*Special Point: I think Lion's back-turned game is great and he has a lot of options. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, against certain play-styles or tendencies, is a nice way to initiate the back-turned game with Lion imo. I'll emphasize that I said against certain play-styles and tendencies because you don't want your opponent ducking this move at all--you more or less want to punish evaders or maybe people who like to throw. Though /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif probably has much more merit in initiating a back-turned game with a circular attack (I personally overuse /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif which really isn't that safe or great, but I love using that move for who knows what reason).

13. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I'll give you my "secret tactic" with 44+K+G lol. It's a great move to use when the opponent is down near the wall, like after a throw for ex. Why ?
    If your opponent is back against the wall, and tries a rising attack, if it's a mid rising attack you have an opportunity to crush it for a combo on CH, since you're near the wall you'll be able to do good damage. If your getting interrupted you'll stay backturned from there you still got the 11f backturned K to play abare if you want.
    Now if it's a low rising and you managed to hop with 44+K+G, you have enough advantage to go for a bacturned 2P which will cause a wall stagger on hit, follow with the traditional 33+P+K (crumple)--> 6+P+K,K --> pounce for nice damage.