1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Using EDG/ECDG to beat attacks and delayed attacks

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by ice-9, Mar 9, 2007.

1. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Re: ice-9's New Super Defensive Techniques!!

ICE-9,

Thanks for your post. It's good to talk about techniques in detail, and one doesn't necessary bring the best/most correct thing on the table. A lot of discussions started from your post and many people had a chance to talk about this aspect of the game for your post, so it's a good contribution. Much thx.

Regarding the usage of EDG, it's a new movement option in VF5 and has some potentials with it. I haven't been able to study VF5 much myself so this is just me trying to add some more to the discussion.

As an Akira player, in VF4 when EDG wasn't possible, using ECDG leaves you to recover crouched after succesfully evading your opponent's attack attempt. The best incentive of evading most attacks in VF compared to guarding them is generally there's a lot more guranteed damage potential when you evade a move compared to merely block it.

Now going back to the situation, in VF4 when I use ECDG to evade a move, due to the crouched position upon its completion, I couldn't use 46P(Akira's standing palm) to punish my opponent's whiff or use 42P+G(stumble throw) to throw him. Akira's 42P+G, unlike Kage's, doesn't come out from crouching for some reason, and if you try to buffer 46P in crouch, you'd get double palm.

Now when you implement this new tech in VF5, you would have different offensive options made possible(such as 42P+G or 46P) which you wouldn't be the case if you were just using ECDG. I had a chance to watch the Akira matches on VF5 DVD one day, and I've noticed this tech being used from time to time, which I thought pretty interesting.

Let's keep the discussion going.

maddy

P.S. There are special ways of pulling 46P or 42P+G even in crouched position, but that takes a lot more work and difficult techniques, which are not as practically applicable in a heated match against a touch&fast opponent. Ask me via PM if anyone really wants to know.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz

I think that what is really interesting on that EDG is the fact that you can do it over and over as EDEDED, because (as in VF4 times) you can cancel dash with evade, but VF5 allows you to cancel evade with dash. I think this is one of the most interestig things on this new stuff; and you can see jpn players preforming this one.

3. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Right on. I didn't want to mention about it as this thread is mainly about defensive tech, but as a stepping tool, I also think that this new addition has a lot of potentials.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, thanks for your posts! I think the 0-frame throw really limits the ECD's ability to duck under throws. Here's why:

Situation 1: You are in a position where if the opponent throws you, it's a 0-frame throw. In this situation, for every frame that you are evading in ECD, the 0-frame throw will always win because you are considered crouching only at the 17th frame. In fact, by definition, if you are in a 0-frame throw situation it is impossible to crouch dash an instantaneous throw!

Situation 2: So let's say it's a situation where if the opponent throws you, the 12 frame throw comes out instead. For you to be able to ECD under the throw, you must have at least +5 frame advantage (12 + 5 = 17 frames). But who tries to throw when they are at -5? Ah, but you say, how about delayed throw attempts? But here's the thing -- if the throw attempt is delayed, you then come to a 0-frame throw situation!!

If you think about both situations above, you quickly realize that ducking a throw attempt with ECD will almost never happen. The reason you don't experience this in VF4 is because there is no 0-frame throw in VF4.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

That's exactly the point! EDG EDG EDG EDG is in fact more than jut stepping, it is a defensive technique! Go ahead and test this. Get an opponent to attack you with only high/middle attacks, preferably those that take more than 13 frames to execute. If you do EDG as fast as possible and hit check, you should never get hit by the attacks, even when they are delayed.

That's because 1) if you EDG after the opponent attacks, you get a successful evade; 2) if you EDG before the opponent attacks (or if the attack is circular/semi-circular), you can recover and guard BEFORE the attack can hit you. Brilliant right!?!?!?

ECDG works similarly, except it has an 18 frame window of vulnerability versus EDG with a 13 frame window of vulnerability.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz

Do you need EDG EDG? Isn't ED ED enough? You know, is it better to put there short guard frames, or DM more quickly? Or are this two steps the same one in real?

7. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Can you e > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif & hold /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif? Or e > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif hold /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif & break throws too?

(not at the game right now)

edit: 46P from crouch? let the lever go to nuetral before P.

8. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC

S-Akai - Don't think so. I think throw input will cancel the forward dash input.

As for continually using EDG, or ED....I think it will be easily punished by throws. The only purpose I can see it used efficiently as a technique is in the following scenario:

1) In a small disadvantage situation, you attempt to do a evade-forward dash (basically evade for advantage to land attack).

2) Opponent expect that you will evade, and will do a delay launcher attack to get the failed evade situation.

3) "Immediately" noticing the failed evade, you enter G to cancel the dash, which in theory allow you to defend against >14 frames attacks (based on Ice-9 calculations in first post).

The problem with inputting dash-guard immediately after evade, is that even if you successfully evaded the first attack of a chain, you make yourself a target of the opponents second attack. So it is only effective for techniques that are not chains.

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

ECD was the precursor to ARE, and allowed you to avoid both an attack and a throw at small disadvantage (In VF4, it was around -3 to -4).

When Akira hit you with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, he could press the nitaku with either /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (double palm) or throw. In this situation, an ECD would protect you against both.

It's funny how you compare this technique to ECD but don't even know what the ECD's application was? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

What you described is ARE, not ECD. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I also asked the question about ECD in VF4 to demonstrate that it cannot be used in the same way as in VF5. You should not use ECD to avoid both attacks and throws--it doesn't work because of the 0-frame throw. I hope that's obvious now.

11. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

ARE involves an attack...

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Beating both dpalm and throw after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif requires ARE, not ECD (in Evo/FT at least). I wasn't sure if Myke made a typo or was referring to the original VF4. I assumed the former though since Evo/FT should be our reference points for VF4.

I was just about to edit my original response to Myke with the above to avoid confusion but you beat me to it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

13. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Sorry, but you're wrong. I'm pretty sure I know what I described!

ARE = ECD with an attack

I didn't mention attacking at all. Therefore, I did not describe ARE.

All I've described so far is ECD -- /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif -- with the option to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif if you want cut the CD to a standing guard.

But even if I did describe ARE, it's just as applicable to the conversation. It's another defensive technique against nitaku, but working at even a greater disadvantage (in the context of Evo).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also asked the question about ECD in VF4 to demonstrate that it cannot be used in the same way as in VF5. You should not use ECD to avoid both attacks and throws--it doesn't work because of the 0-frame throw. I hope that's obvious now. </div></div>
    This part I'm not sure about since not having the game yet means I can't test. But, when you refer to the 0f throw, are you talking about a delayed throw? Because, if you're talking about the fastest throw (from recovery), then it will not be 0f. If you are talking about a delayed throw, then this is where I need to test on ps3, because I was under the assumption that if you're in the motion of crouching -- even if not fully crouched yet -- then you can't be 0f thrown. Reason being is that you're not in an "idle" state.

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...don't know. I guess technically you can cancel a dash with an evade. And you can cancel an evade with a dash. Does that mean you can continuously cancel evades into dashes and dashes into evades? I tried it for about 10 seconds and found it pretty hard to pull off.

So for consistency reasons I would recommend EDG EDG EDG instead of EDEDED.

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

See my response to s_aki. Correct me if I'm wrong but you must use ARE to defend against attacks and throws after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif normal hit. ECD won't work. That was an inconsistency in your post that threw me off on whether you meant ARE or ECD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This part I'm not sure about since not having the game yet means I can't test. But, when you refer to the 0f throw, are you talking about a delayed throw? Because, if you're talking about the fastest throw (from recovery), then it will not be 0f. If you are talking about a delayed throw, then this is where I need to test on ps3, because I was under the assumption that if you're in the motion of crouching -- even if not fully crouched yet -- then you can't be 0f thrown. Reason being is that you're not in an "idle" state. </div></div>

That might be true -- but consider that the earliest moment to cancel out of the evade is on the 11th frame. You'd expect that opponents will try to throw you when they have the advantage. So let's say you're at -1 when the opponent tries to throw you. 1 frame disadvantage + 11 frames to cancel out of the failed evade = 12 frames = normal throw execution time. You will still get thrown. When you are at worse than -1 the timing is even more against you.

The more I think about it, the more I do think AM2 specifically designed the system to be this way.

However way you cut it ECD isn't that useful of a defensive technique in terms of avoiding throws and attacks. I'd argue it wasn't even that useful in Evo/FT.

16. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

IIRC, ECD works in -3 or below in VF4(ver.C) against a nitaku. You could crouch dash under a throw even in -3.

ECDG loses to a non-delayed throw in Evo. So, ECDG doesn't work to beat a nitaku in disadvantage any more in Evo or FT.

Regarding the 0-frame throw, Yanaga explained it with an example in the Blackbook. Basically, he said when you block a LP and go for an immidiate throw when the opponent chooses to evade right away, the 0-frame throw'd happen. I still have no clue how this works in terms of frame wise, and I don't have a PS3 to test it on. :cry:

17. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

This is interesting and I'd like to understand why. I know that if the opponent chooses to evade right away, he is standing pretty much instantly. But going by the rules of 0frame throws, technically after the LP is guarded, the 10 frame safe window is still in effect. If what yanaga said is true, I wonder if it's because going from crouch status to a standing status instantly resets this safe window.

18. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC

I try using a low punch then evading against cpu (program to block and throw). I still see the hand grabbing animation before throw connects.

19. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

As maddy pointed out, ECD could still be used post-VF4, but just in a lower disadvantage.

As far as VF5 is concerned, I'm going to bow out of this discussion because not having the game means I cannot test anything, or see how VF4 mechanisms carry over to 5.

BTW, where are you getting your frame information from regarding evade cancel timing being 11 frames?

20. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I think Maddy is saying that ECD doesn't work for Evo/FT against throws, and that it works only in VF4 version C in small disadvantage. The former is what I have been saying, and I think you've been putting forth the latter.

I got the 11 frame stat from Shou-san, who I assume got it from a magazine or some other credible source.