1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Using EDG/ECDG to beat attacks and delayed attacks

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by ice-9, Mar 9, 2007.

1. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

Re: ice-9's New Super Defensive Techniques!!

i have a question about 0-frame throw.

this occurs on a failed evade right?

if you ETEG (i.e input commands) does the 0f throw still occur?
    the way i understood it (before this thread) is that you can only do it if the opponent is either at garanteed throw position, or when they arent inputting any commands.

or is the failed evade considered the same state as a garanteed throw position (for 11frames atleast)

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

In the new Arcadia some new frame data has been released. It takes 4 frames to guard from a forward dash, and 7 frames to guard from a crouch dash. How does this affect EDG/ECDG?

EDG takes 14 frames to come to guard instead of 13. It's 11 frames failed evade + 4 frames to forward dash and guard - 1 frame (at least) advantage to the opponent for it to be a failed evade = 14 frames. So worse case scenario you're at risk to punches, elbows and standing palms, but this is with opponent having perfect timing.

ECDG takes 17 frames. 11 frames failed evade + 7 frames to crouch dash and guard - 1 frame (at least) advantage = 17 frames. Thus ECDG leaves you at risk to bigger launchers.

3. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Info as always, Ice-9. Props.

4. DancingFighterG

DancingFighterG Well-Known Member

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. This is good to know!! ECDG is what I like to use but I always felt that EDG was overall a safer tool ot use.

5. comoesa2

comoesa2 Well-Known Member

Thanks ice-9......
    but this is for avoiding delayed attacks right?

but can zero frame throws get ya?

so wouldnt just guarding be the best option?

6. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    The thing is, you're sometimes in a better situation after evading a move than you are after blocking a move. Assuming, of course, that you can react fast enough after a successful evade to take advantage of all those frames.

EDG/ECDG not only fails against throws, but it also fails against strings, because when you're holding /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif your opponents moves track you (as explained in Evo's tutorial~). By simply guarding you can wait for one attack from the string to evade, or by evading the first attack and pressing no buttons, your opponent will continue their string without tracking (also from the Evo tutorial).

If your opponent is catching you with a lot of delayed attacks, EDG is probably a nice option to use...especially if he's using punishable moves to catch you on failed evade! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

7. comoesa2

comoesa2 Well-Known Member

thanks

So edg/ecdg is best uesed for delayed attacks..i figured.

evade (with no button press) doesnt give you advantage though..i dont know? it proably does?