1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Using K+G moves?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Xiliphore, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Xiliphore

Xiliphore New Member

how do u do these in battle? the angle is too awkward for me to press o and square at the same time

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

if u're using a pad, i suggest u reconfigure your buttons.

Otherwise, there's no problem doing K+G on a stick.

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

If you're using a pad, then look at the control config in the options menu. You'll see that the shoulder buttons are combinations like P+K, K+G and P+K+G. If you don't plan on buying a stick, then just set the R1 and R2 button to handle the multiple button taps you want to use the most.

4. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

The trouble is, the R1 and R2 buttons (as well as the L1 and L2 buttons) are also awkward to reach in rapid gameplay. The dancing of fingertips from the top of the pad to the front of it just doesn't work for me. I fooled around a little with Akira using the pad, and still can't come up with a configuration that allows for the button presses required for all of his moves to be done reasonably and accurately. For instance, because of the way the buttons are placed, there is no convenient way for me to press P+K+G unless a single button is dedicated to it, while for his knee to work, you need decently placed separate K and G buttons. Trying to accommodate this further makes any of his P+K and P+G inputs awkward. Drives me crazy...

5. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Get a joystick, or don't play using Akira... <shrug>

6. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

Yepa <shrugs back>. I think I already figured that out. I was just making a comment. Though judging from the feedback in other posts, there really doesn't seem to be a clear good choice available for a joystick either. Not to re-drag out an old discussion, but I am convinced there will be an Xbox version of VF4 later this year. That will be the time for me to commit to a relatively expensive proposition like joysticks. No point (in my mind) to buying one for the PS2 for the interim if I am going to be switching consoles on which to play VF4.

One thing worth noting is that the pad's vibration effect gives a tactile dimension to playing VF4 that is missing with using a joystick. It adds a certain flavor of immersion into the imaginary fights that I like and will miss. Life is full of tradeoffs.

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

the best way to use a pad is to hold it with the first three fingers hovering over the GPK buttons, and the thumb supports. The pinky just sticks out to the right like some fob drinking a martini. Doing this you can easily land K+G and P+K+G at the same time...

8. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

I believe that is the way I hold it too, but for some reason when I do so, I find I can't use my third finger (the one next to the pinky) reliably on the PS2 pad with its unaligned buttons (not a problem for me with a joystick or a Saturn pad!), so I have to make all inputs using only my index and middle fingers. I guess if you have no problem using all three fingers with the PS2 pad, then we have quite differently structured hands.

9. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

I finally figured out how to make what CreeD suggested work comfortably for me, with a slight modification. Instead of just supporting the right side of the pad with my right thumb, I rest it on one of my knees. For some reason, this slight extra support enables me to use my third finger effectively. This is the method I will now use, with just the three buttons (square, triangle, and circle) in their default configuration being active. It's by far the best setup.

10. Typhoon

Typhoon Well-Known Member

Being an oldskool Tekken-ite, Ive adapted to the PS config pad. It all depends on the speed of your thumb. Most peole I know dont have the dexterity in their thumb I do but in case you DO...

Hold the pad in your palms, with your two main lefties on L1 and L2 (or hovering around them), two main right fingies on R1 and R2 (hover.. whatever).
    Using default controls for the PS2 config, I can mash anything using my thumbs for directional and buttons. P+K I mash or use R1. G+K is hard to mash so I use L2 or better yet... switch default control scheme to guardX and punchSquare. When guarding I use the heel of my thumb firmly on X. Anything else is a slide tap to the button.
    I do it in arcades to. I dont dedicate fingers to buttons. I have a keyboard stroke style where I have my 'homekeys' and slide my thumbs from there.

If you cant use shoulder buttons fast enough or accurately enough, play with the editable controls... its a blessing considering the limitations a PS2 pad has compared to stick. If you can mash combo buttons P+K K+G with your setup you have it made. The problem is adjusting once you have a set scheme. On the ps2, hitting triangle and x or square and circle is difficult without accidentally mashing another button. Hence my change to my guardX scheme. Mashing both bottoms gets the k+g, top gets p+k (so does right side but its a preferrence to use left or right mash for throws... I use left mash hence left mash resulting in p+g throw).

I seriously dont know why people complain about ps2 pads when the game gives you full control over remapping buttons.