1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Using playstation 2 in other countries?

Discussion in 'Console' started by Neko, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Neko

Neko Well-Known Member

I don't know if I should post this in the international forum...anyway...your call Myke...

I have a PS2 purchased in the US, do I need to worry about compatibility issues while staying in China? I am sure there is someone out there that is/was in a similar situation that I am in.

Any advice is helpful.

N

2. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

yes, there will be compatibility issues since they are different regions. The only real advice there is get ahold of an asian regioned PS2 and use that while over there. It might be worth it since you can always get import games from Japan / Korea etc. and play them on it.

3. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

The key thing to remember is that first of all, the power outlets in china uses 220V and the plug you have for your US ps2 won't even fit into the wall electrical outlets. So your first problem is getting a convertor, or maybe you can just go to a local game store and purchase one. The second thing you need to worry about is that China uses PAL signal. This means what most of your games won't display correctly on most TV's in China. However, since China is fairly modernized now, most people will have multi-system TV's which will accept NTSC signal. So make sure you get a TV or Monitor that can display NTSC. (TV and Monitors are sooo cheap in china)

Lastly, like what SH said, the games you buy in china won't be playable on your PS2 since they will be region coded to Asian region. Your only option is to buy a Asian/Japanese PS2 or mod your PS2 and go buy the "3$ discs"... but that's another story.

4. Neko

Neko Well-Known Member

SH, Srider thanks for the advice.

Perhaps I should just go ahead and purchase another game system there (as I plan on spending lots and lots of time in China/Asia)? Do you guys know if I still need to worry about compatibility issues after purchasing there or are most ps2's (in China) functional regarding Srider's specifications? Also, I got a VF:EVO stick I ordered from NCSX, I am sure it will work with a new Asian PS2...right? My mem card is prob. not compatible either? I know these are dumb questions but I really want to make sure I still have the chance to keep my VF clean.

Srider,

Been playing for some time...I would like to take you up on your offer. Will you be in TN from July to September? Now I really feel like an idiot...driving to get a beat down! DAMN YOU VF AND YOUR WAYS! lol.

Please excuse my ignorance.

Neeks

5. Pai_Garu

I think once you get to China, you will realize that when it comes to electronics, everything is possible for not much money since China gets all kinds of stuff from around the world. Besides, PS2 never came out in China for a very long time and people have been buying the Japanese units, so there will be alot of options available to get a NTSC unit working there.

Accessories wise, they are all compatible, so you don't need to worry about your mem card or joystick not working.

And, yes, I'll be here during the summer, so let me know and we can arrange something.

6. Neko

Neko Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the answers.

I will contact you once my summer A term has completed.

I will be looking foward to it! /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

You know I was reading this post and I suddenly had a question about compatibility. Why are the systems all over the world different. I mean why can't we just have one damn simple system. I am asking this because I have faced this problem myself many times. I am especially pissed at the U.S. system for being so ass-backwards. I am just mad beause I have electronics that I pusrchased from either Europe or other parts of the world and am not able to play them. I am sorry if this post has caused any annoyance to you guys, but I just had to say that because reading this post has brought back memories of anguish and annoyance for me.

8. Pai_Garu

There are many MANY reasons for why that is, and it involves issues in politics, engineering, business, etc... that to address them all, would take way too long.

So I suggest you to read more books and keep up with more current events, one day you might probably realize why that is.

9. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    This seems to be an appropriate thread for my question......

I just moved to texas from england and brought my ps2 with me. I need a voltage converter and something to make it so I can plug my 3 prong plug into a US 2 prong socket.

I've looked up some sites but can't really seem to find what I need (maybe I just suck at the internet or something)

Anyone know a good place to look?

Thanks in advance.

10. REAL_JEFF_FREE

REAL_JEFF_FREE Well-Known Member