1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Va Tech tournament -- Blacksburg, VA 4/12/03 VF4, GGXX, T4, and 3 more

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Iceman, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

Hosted by the Electronic Gaming Society at Virginia Tech

To be held on Saturday April 12th, 2003 at the Jefferson Room in Squires Student Center at Virginia Tech, Blackburg, Virginia.

Games will be run on console with TV screens between 19-25.†The games include Tekken 4 (PS2), Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (DC), Virtua Fighter 4 (PS2), Guilty Gear XX (PS2), Super Smash Bros Melee (GC), and Dead or Alive 3 (XBox).

$10 entry fee for each individual tournament. Pot will be divided 70% for 1st, 20% for 2nd, and 10% for 3rd.
    The winner(s) of T4/VF4 will receive an expense paid entry into Magfest 2 at Williamsburg, Virginia courtesy of Patrician (also know as D by some).

The room opens at 1pm. Registration will begin asap after the room opens. Virtua Fighter 4, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and Dead or Alive 3 will begin at approximately 2pm (we might wait 15 minutes if someone tells me they will be late). Tekken 4, Guilty Gear XX, and Super Smash Bros. Melee will begin at the conclusion of Virtua Fighter 4, Marvel, and Dead or Alive 3 respectively.

Rules:
    All tournaments are 2/3 games until the final four of the winner’s bracket and 4th place round of the loser’s bracket.

** Dead or Alive 3 **
    Rules To Be Announced

** Guilty Gear XX **
    2/3 rounds
    99 seconds
    Arcade characters only. I.e. no EX characters, Gold characters, Shadow characters, or characters named Justice, Kliff, and Robo-Ky

** Marvel vs. Capcom 2 **
    99 seconds
    Banned glitches include, but are not necessarily limited to: Flyaway glitches (like Gambit and Ruby), freeze/handcuffs glitches, and deadbody infinites. Juggy power-up glitch is legal.
    It’s on dreamcast, so no picking more than 1 of the same character (Yes, you can pick Metal and Bone Wolverines together /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

** Super Smash Brothers Melee **
    Stock set to 4
    8 minute time limit
    Items set to LOW. Heart and Tomato turned off
    The following stages are not to be used: Poke Floats, Flat Zone, Hyrule Temple, Yoshi Island 64, Icicle Mountain, and both Metroid Stages.
    No Freeze/Handcuff glitches such as those belonging to MewTwo and the Ice Climbers

** Tekken 4 **
    3/5 rounds
    60 seconds
    Arena Stage only. If both players agree on a different stage, it may be used.

** Virtua Fighter 4 **
    3/5 rounds
    45 seconds
    Dural is banned /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Kumite characters are allowed (I only say this because a local tournament made this mistake).
    Stage will be set to random.

Directions to Squires Student Center will be posted later. If you have any questions or comments drop me a PM or email.

2. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I'm gonna try to make this. Anyone else from around the area? Maybe we can work out a car pool deal of sort. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

how far is this from d.c?

4. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

I think it is 4 1/2 hours. I'll ask my friend who lives in Vienna to let me know.

5. JimmyBiscuits

JimmyBiscuits Active Member

that is too sweeeeet. i wonder how long it will take me to ride my bike from richmond to blacksburg. hopefully i can find a ride. there are a few with skill on our evo machine here at VCU. thanks for the advance notice....

i'll keep you posted on definite comings and goings....

6. Pai_Garu

This will of course be an Evo tourney. If not, I refuse to go. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif j/k. I'll bring my ps2 and evo disc if you guys need me to. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

Well, this is the problem, no one here is going to be importing VF4 Evo before April 12th /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif So if you people want Evo, well, let's see a show of hands /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Pai_Garu

I can provide the game and the hardware. You guys just bring sticks and controllers. So if they don't mind playing evo, it shouldn't be a problem.

9. Gndalf007

Gndalf007 Well-Known Member

In case any of you were wondering about my lax response time to this thread... I've been working full-time, and I haven't touched my PS2 in weeks. I'm gonna try to make this, and that means I've got a month to get John to teach me GGXX and regain my former VF4 skillz and convince Ninjinsan to show up the day before so I can figure out Evo a bit and arrange for the day off.

But I'm gonna try my hardest to make this.
    If I can get at least a day of Evo training, I'd prefer it.

Argh, I've gotta build a new stick too...

and I've really gotta update my sig...

10. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Cool, My g/f is comming down in april, just as long as it is not that week, its all good baby!

11. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

Some additions I forgot to post....

This is a console tourney. So bring your favorite controller! Any controller works, as long as it's not programmed. No rapid fire /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Please remember to set up your controls before the match begins. Pausing to fix buttons mid way through a round will be tolerated once (twice if I'm in a good mood). And do it at the option menu, not at the start of a round. Everyone should know better than to pause for any other reason /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For you melee players, the starman is also turned off.

Directions coming from Interstate 81.
    * Take exit 118B. The exits are a little tricky, make sure you take 118B.
    * As soon as you take exit 118B veer left toward “Blacksburg.â€Â
    * You are now on 460 West. After about 5.5 you will take the exit labeled “Blacksburg/Smart Road†Not the one labeled “Virginia Tech.â€Â
    * Veer left toward “South Main Street.â€Â
    * After almost a mile you should come to a stop light, over the next mile you’ll go straight through 4 lights.
    * After the 4th light you’ll pass a school on your right, and come to a 5th light by a gas station. Go straight.
    * You’ll come to another light very soon, go straight. At the next light turn left onto COLLEGE AVENUE. Or go straight through the light and take the next left onto ALUMNI MALL. Read below about parking to see why.
    * Go straight, the road curves. The building on the right side of a road at the curve is Squires Student Center.

Parking is a little tricky. I know you have to pay the parking meters on Saturday, but for how long I’m not sure. I believe parking is free after 5pm, but I’m not sure. Masaka, you know? Across the street from Squires is a parking lot. If you can find an unmetered space there, take it. DO NOT park on the right side of the lot labeled “Donaldson Brown Hotel Parking†(DBH). Park on the left side labeled “Faculty/Staff†(F/S). If you can’t find parking and you’re willing to put money in the parking meters, knock yourself out. If you don’t like paying for parking, turn around and go back to the last stop light from which you came. Take a left at the light (this is the direction you just came from). Take the next left onto Alumni Mall. As soon as you make the left you’ll see a parking lot on your right. Despite the weird apparatus there, it’s free.

12. JimmyBiscuits

JimmyBiscuits Active Member

i'm assuming some of you all have decent arcade sticks. are you willing to let other people use em? cuz i'd reeeeeeeealy appreciate it! i'll be gentle with it i swear! i'm not a "throw controller at the wall" kinda guy....

13. Pai_Garu

So, have we decided if this tourney is going to be Evo? or Ver C? It should be Evo I say.
    /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

14. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

More things to cover...
    * 2 games at $5 each are being added. SF3 3rd Strike and Super SF2 Turbo.
    * I incorrectly posted the name of the room. The room is the <font color="red">Jamestown</font> room.
    Rules for DoA3, SF3:3s, and SSF2T

** Dead or Alive 3 **
    Tag matches
    2/3 rounds
    Infinite time
    Stage selection set to random

** Street Fighter III 3rd Strike **
    2/3 rounds
    99 seconds
    Gill is banned /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

** Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo **
    2/3 rounds
    99 seconds
    All forms of Akuma are banned

As for VF4 C vs. Evo. We have a problem. All of the locals want C and all of you seem to want Evo. Because I need to say something for certain, I'll say version C for now. If you guys can talk all the locals into it then we'll swtich to Evo. But you guys will need to bring evo and the ability to play it. I won't promise Evo, but it's not impossible. Worst case scenerio, perhaps a tournament for both is in order.

15. Pai_Garu

I can definitely bring Evo and the mean to play it provided there are TV's. I can bring 2 -3 sets of PS2 and Evo game.
    How many people are gonna be in the tourney from VA? Also, how far away is the location from where we were last time? Would it be possible for some of us to stay overnight on friday? That would give us an opportunity to play you all besides the tourney. Let us know.

/versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to come so you may be seeing some of the columbus crew up there. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. Gndalf007

Gndalf007 Well-Known Member

Alright, work's not letting me have that day off, but I think I'll set up an excuse to call in that day. (Hmm, just how do I fake Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome?) So, I'm not 100% confirmed yet, but with news of more and more people coming, I'm getting more and more motivated to figure something out.

Nijinsan:
    The tourney's at Virginia Tech, so it'll be REALLY easy to find.

As for Evo vs. C, I think I'm gonna vote for a C tournament, with Evo running all day, and maybe a small pickup Evo tournament at the end of the night.

I can't say for certain right now, but I may be able to bring Matt's 29" Trinitron Goodness again.

18. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I'm gonna vote for a C tournament, with Evo running all day

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this makes no sense to me. Why have Evo running, and not play the tourney on it? That's retarded. Play Evo, it's available, it's the latest version of the game, it's a far superior game than VF4 VerC. There are a billion reasons to play Evo over C.

cheers,

19. thebradSHow

If i come and TV's are allowed i'll bring 32'' JVC justice in this piece.
    /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

20. thebradSHow

By the by, are there any cheap motels nearby or a place for overnight gaming justice.