1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vancouver, BC - Dec. 20th-23rd

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Chanchai, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

To all the Vancouver, BC lurkers on the forum. I'll be coming up to Vancouver this weekend (finally) and I'm looking forward to the VF4 matches and just getting to know everyone. Also looking forward to seeing Tellure and Mutant again!

Anyways, I hope my VF4 Lion brings something "pleasant" to the table up there. Don't know if my other characters can bring much of a challenge, but I'll certainly try.

And yes, a camcorder will be following me to BC!

-Chanchai

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just thought I'd let everyone know I'm having a blast here in Vancouver. Last night we had some games, but everyone was kinda tired.

I love Versus City and Astro City Machines. Love the Japanese control layout, though the punch button popped out of one of the panels on me all night (and in some cases, I played by hitting the spring of the Punch button and not the button). Just one of the panels though.

I'll get to see everyone in full force tonight and tomorrow and I'm so looking forward to that. We're gonna watch Lord of the Rings first though (many of the people watching have already seen it, so this'll be their second or third time).

Anyways, since this isn't the full report (if that ever comes out), I'll just jump to some of the gameplay.

Moby - I'll get to see a more evil Moby tonight, but he was still giving me lots of hard times. Akira's annoying that's for sure (especially with low punches hehehe), but oh well, more anti-low punch training for me (and it's working well). His Vanessa has me really surprised. Sure, there's lots of room for improvement, but Moby's Vanessa is definitely one of the best characters up here in Vancouver from what I can tell so far. If her low throws really are unescapable, I think I know why I really get frustrated now/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

Herman - Great Lei Fei, just needs to throw more. Very powerful up here and combos get really scary. Main problem again is the lack of a throw game, but he's getting it. Gets a bit predictable when you machi him too.

Kenneth - Tekken player who has recently started playing VF, or so I've heard. His Jacky got better and better as the night went on. He's pretty good at abusing predictable low punches though, was surprised to see Jacky's kickflip hit people so much.

Mutant - I had LOTS OF FUN playing serious matches with Mutant. Mainly against his Lau and Shun since he would have a much better idea of what to do with them, but he's also playing Wolf now. His Wolf is improving, but still early. Lau rushes do a lot of pressure, but last night he had the same problems I have with Lau in VF4--for some reason, we can't get f,d+K all that often which is weird. We always keep messing it up. Other than that, his Lau reminds me a lot of VF3, lots of elbow-palm (I think he does the palm too much sometimes), nice flowcharting. As for Mutant's Shun, he's adjusting to VF4's changes but it's a nice Shun. A bit VF3ish, but Mutant's been adopting a lot of the low stance games with Shun, applying it to drinking and ultra-low area games. Definitely learning quite a bit of Shun just watching him toy around with it.

There were other players there too, some beginners who were using Pai (and too much uf+KK). A Kage player which was so VF2 it was weird. But generally, the arcade was nice (Rush) and there were about 6 or 7 people there playing VF4 which was nice. Lots of low punching here, but there's also lots of anti-low punch tactics being used which is nice to see.

Looking forward to more matches tonight and tomorrow. Having a great time/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai