1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vanessa - Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by MakiLeSushi, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Lulu Lulu

Lulu Lulu Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lulekani
    Yeah thats how I have them set up now.... I have my [P][+][K] and [K][+][G] bound to the right shoulder buttons (just like in DoA) and my [P][+][G] and secondary [G] bound to the left side. My [P][+][K][+][G] bound to one face button..... the rest is default.

Good news is I pull off Offensive Moves much more consistently now and this set up also makes "stance heavy" characters alot more viable.....:D

The Bad News is its going to take a while to adjust to and I might have to stop Playing DoA for a short while.:cry:

2. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    As i said to other beginners, Van is maybe the hardest char to learn, i mean not really hard but it takes more time to learn her because of the stances it s like 2 characters in 1. So u should start to focus on 1 stance learn it until u feel comfortable with this stance then learn the 2nd one. Choose the stance u think is best in the way u play. And if u want to see how Van have to be played, feel free to add me or marlyjay.

Kruza and Lulu Lulu like this.
  3. Lulu Lulu

XBL:
    Lulekani
    Yep thats the plan.... I'm gona start with the Offensive Stance since its closest to how Mila fights in DoA.... that plus its got fewer things I have no experience with like Sabaki's.

I can't actually play online because I'm not a gold member.... and will never be one because Microsoft is dead to me.

4. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    if u can find ppl to play irl it s even better u ll more enjoy the game...

oneida and Lulu Lulu like this.
  5. Lulu Lulu

XBL:
    Lulekani
    LoL.... I'm trying to sell my friend on it right now.

6. Throwback

Throwback Member

From a theory view at that point you then begin doing the second [P] or [3][3][5][P] for counter-hits. That forces the opponent to re-evaluate, which either restarts the yomi cycle - you get crouch grabs - or they start evading, so you can get standing grabs.

7. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Oh god, I must have been tired when i wrote this - it makes no sense AND i managed to misspell Vanessa's name :cry:

I meant "Other opponents will try to fuzzy guard when at light disadvantage, either when their own attacks are guarded or when they quard vanessa's DS jab [...]" etc. Sorry for that. I edited the OP.

...but yes, I agree with @Throwback, the concept of a yomi "cycle" is very astute.

@Lulu Lulu: I noticed that in your earlier posts you were asking about button bindings on a pad; if your friend is new to the game as well then it might be a good opportunity for you to practice playing on an arcade stick.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    Lulu Lulu likes this.
  8. Throwback

Throwback Member

In OS, how do I deal with fuzzy guard? I know I can delayed throw, and I use [6][6][P]+[G], but neither of those are particularly great.

I also use [4][P]+[K] as it is 17F and + on block, but all it really does is reset my low frame advantage situation, albeit out of throw range.

[2][K]+[G] would be useful if I could proceed to the hit-throw on NH, but of course I can't and it's negative on hit.

the [3][K] strings seems pretty decent because it forces the opponent to make a choice, should I be using that more?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  9. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Fuzzy guard is a way of cutting down on the 2 choice defensive guess (attack from disadvanatage/guard), as it keeps the defender safe against the main offensive options (fast mid/throw). It's just an extension to the guessing game, and very few characters have a way of dealing with it that i'd describe as 'good'.

The best thing you can do is to keep the guessing game going (welcome to VF), whilst staying on the attacking side of it as that's the side with less risk against most characters. You jab to force them to guess again or use a fast mid that will put you on the other side of the guessing game. These continuous guesses and switches between attack & defence is what it's all about. If your opponent fuzzys every time then a slight delay puts them into true nitaku. If they choose to abare instead though, you'll be handing advantage back to them.

One way to look at Fuzzy G is that your opponent has a guard that will avoid throws. If you look at it that way [6][6][P][+][G] catch throw is one of the best options. You're already assuming that they won't abare if they're fuzzying and [6][6][P][+][G] will catch both regular and fuzzy standing guard. It can also beat a delayed attack if their disadvantage is deep enough.

I wouldn't use a slower high as there is every chance they'll duck and punish something like [4][P][+][K]. If they fuzzy guard properly they'll be forced to block a jab which leaves you at small advantage again.

Lows can be a decent option but are slower and so risky if blocked. [2][K][+][G] is a pretty decent option as lots of opponents will actually attack after fuzzy guarding. If they don't tend to attack then the catch throw is an even better option.

Another thing you didn't mention is Offensive move. If your opponent gives you enough time using an OM can be a smart move. It will force your opponent into sideturned position where it is far harder to defend and it's heavily stacked in favour of attacker.

Throwback and Kruza like this.
  10. og23

og23 Well-Known Member

Marly's got it on the money here, although I just go with 66P+G in most situations, depending on the positioning I'll change it up.

For example: If both of us are in closed stance and we're perpendicular to the wall, I'll go for 1P, it's not a terrible option as it's half circular forcing them to evade to the wall, and I get a fat combo on it if I'm close enough, or in another case, if my back is to the edge of the ring I'll go for delayed throw. Vanessa's throws in OS are very strong when her back is to the edge of the ring, as all three of her directions have massive ring out potential behind her. This wont work at higher levels though, as people are more likely to back off with the life lead then try and finish you off.

Throwback likes this.
  11. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    vs the fuzzy g an also good option is P3P. If the oopoonent tend to attack after P whiffed or blocked he ll get a stomach crumple and u ll get decent damage.
    Fuzzy g is very efficient and there s no real strat vs it than what is said previously: 66P+G low om or delay throws. The point is to notice what ur opponent tend to do after his fuzzy g and adapt, that s what vf is all about.

Throwback likes this.
  12. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    The advice given is very solid so I would like to address the one move in @Throwback's OP that wasn't covered:

OS [3][K] is kind of awkward against experienced opponents because they will be aware that the mid followup ([3][K][K]) is -15 on guard. In fact, I've frequently used [3][K] > [9][P] to bait and punish a low punch. Personally I have used [P][+][K] with much greater success: the mid followup ([P][+][K][P]) is solid and VERY delayable, allowing for better throw mixups than [3][K].

I would also like to second @MarlyJay's advice about [4][P][+][K]: the reward is just not worth it. If you want to use a slow high attack that's + on block use [9][P] instead. It gets your opponent thinking "oops, did I really guard that? was I asleep?! I'm at -2 again and vanessa just used a 23f jumping combo starter, that's no good, I better try to interrupt her next time". It acts like an invitation to stop fuzzy guarding.

[4][P][+][K] does nothing to discourage fuzzy guarding since even if it hits the opponent is knocked too far away. I would only recommend using this move against Taka since his fuzzy guard speed is slower AND it guarantees a combo against him.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Kruza and MakiLeSushi like this.
  13. Lulu Lulu

XBL:
    Lulekani
    Oh man... if only. I want one so bad but my budget can't handle getting a good stick right now. Soon though...... hopefully.

14. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    The most common mixup after OS staggers is attack/catch throw.

Is catch throw really a better option than dash>throw in those situations? Or do we Vanessa players just use it because it has an easier input than dash>throw?

15. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Catch throws can be a better option because catch throws can beat attacks.

16. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    @MarlyJay True that; but it's not like the opponent can attack while they are unstaggering. What about total frames? Do we know which one recovers faster?

I am not trying to play devil's advocate here, I just realized I was recommending the attack/catch throw mixup in the wiki, without having really thought about it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  17. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    If you're able to throw the opponent in a stagger situation then the opponent is able to beat that throw with an attack.

If they break stagger slowly or it's a really deep stagger then an attack will be guaranteed but i don't think you can throw them. It'll whiff.

18. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    @MarlyJay Putting it that way, indeed catch throw seems the better option all around. Thank you.

19. droy900

droy900 Member

Hi I'm new to Vanessa and VF and was wondering what makes a Vanessa player good ?
    From what I've watched most Vanessas' go into OS right off the bat and start playing offensively and it's p rare for me to see a Vanessa in DS which is p interesting .

20. MakiLeSushi

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    I use van ds a lot mainly vs wolf jeff or aoi. What makes a van player good is the capacity to adapt the stance to the opponent style. For example someone who likes to abare will eat big dmg vs os van. Someone who knows when is his turn to attack will find troubles against ds van. She s very tricky and has a lot of set ups and frame traps.
    If u need some help feel free..

droy900 and jimi Claymore like this.