1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vanessa: Final Tuned

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by Myke, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Vanessa
    Text: Kurita

Give her new important strings between offensive and defensive a spin!
    Switch moves, which attack while changing styles increase the strength of her strings. Also, her new moves and changes to her roundedness.

Strings that use her defensive switch moves

The first thing that you'll want to remmeber is her heavy hook to switch knee lift (D [P]+[K][P]+[K]+[G]). Even though it's a mid mid string, on guard it cannot be countered. Also, if the first hit connects it natural combos, so it's decent damage. But, be careful because it's disadvantage on hit. Being in offensive after the move, you can respond with the cut in upper (O [3][P]) or an Evading Throw Escape technique.

Using it is hard, but the stopping low to the switch back blow (D [2][K][P]+[K]+[G]) is a powerful move. First, check that the first hit connects. On CH, continue through to the second hit, and change to offensive during the advantage. On hit or gaurd, use the delay of the second hit to stuff the opponents retaliation. Also, for opponents that use [2][P], use the Cut In (D [4][3][P]+[K]) or for opponents who duck without attacking use a crouch throw, with these you have effective strings.

New move. The ways of using the Leopard Strike (D [4][6][P]+[K])

This move can sabaki knees, side kicks and mid kicks. Which is to say, if used with the Parrying kick ([4][6][K]) she can deal with pretty much all moves, except for full circulars and double handed attacks. Furthermore, after hitting the opponent, you can carry on with the stopping low combo ([2][K][P]) or similar. What you have to be careful of is, there are four frames from where the move comes out where there is no sabaki frames. You have to yomi when to use it.

Changed moves. (Defensive)

The intrude hook (D while [G] [8][P]) can be said to be an important defensive technique, and is move B1. B2 is stronger on the attacking front, being a fast mid hitting move. Because its strength is a completely different quality, deciding which is better in reality is difficult. If you want to research the fighting use of a new move, then B2 is good, whereas if you want to improve the real use of B1, go with that. However, because you can't buffer the new move, you should put some consideration into the negative effects this will have.

Offensive strings that use the switch moves

In offensive, the stopping toe, switch back blow (O [3][K][P]+[K]+[G]) user-friendliness is great. If the first hit connects, it's guaranteed, and it makes for a advantaged situation. It's very difficult to check the hit before continuing, but because it used to be a mid mid string it will often just have both hits guarded and end at that. Also, even if the back blow is guarded, it gives +1 advantage, so there is a way to get initiative here. For opponents who just low crouch for the second hit, you can do the stopping toe second impact (O [3][K][K]) to stagger the opponent, or use a crouch throw.

Another switch move that you'd want to remember, the body body switch back blow (O [6][P][P]+[K]+[G]). The old string was still mid high, so it can be hard to use, but it's a great counter for a crouching opponent who can't differntiate it from the stopping toe.

The way of using the new move Russian hook (O [4][3][P]+[K])

A new offensive move, a mid move that allows for combos after beating the opponent down. It's a slow move, but it has good reach and tech-crouches during the move so it can avoid highs. The best way to use this is to back dash during advantage and then throw it out. It can dodge short ranged moves like [2][P] of course, and will beat out Evading Throw Escapes and [P][P][P] strings.

Changed moves (offensive)

It's hard to choose between A and B as they are both strong moves. but to make the choice easier, it's between whether you want offense or defence. In any case, it's hard to see the advantage in changing from the cut in upper compared with the short upper. It has a simple command into guaranteed combo, which is alluring, but in overall damage the cut in upper is somewhat ahead.

About the two types of switch moves

Switch moves were added to strings that existed in Evo. There are two types, the switch back blow and the switch knee lift, but either one is done using the [P]+[K]+[G] command. There are many instances where a string move was mid and is now high, or was high and is now mid, so you'll have to be very aware in using them.

Essentially, no matter which move you come from, each switch move is the same. However, the back blow will have different properties depending which stance it's used from. In defensive, it will be +4 and in offensive it will be +3 on hit. On guard it is +1 and CH +6 for either. The knee lift is the same on counter, but being a mid, it's -6 on guard and -2 on hit, a disadvantaged situation.

Another important thing on top of this, is the fact that you can delay switch moves. In particular the delay on the backblow is very broad, so use this to your advantage.

Footnotes

The execution for the standing punch in defensive has gone from 14 frames (elbow class) to 13 frames. This could be said to be the biggest change to defensive style. While being just a one frame change, it terms of actually application it's can be thought of as a large improvement. Not only in winning clashes at mid range or ability to retaliate, but an effect can also be seen in the ease of connecting combos.

A massive change is the ability to change style before the round starts. The command is as per normal [P]+[K]+[G]. Because of this, you can start with the faster standing punch of offensive style. In EVO, you were essentially at a disadvantage from the start of the round, because you could only choose the slow moves from defensive. This change can be said to be "considerate."

Source: Arcadia 52
    Translated by: noodalls

2. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

Great info =) Thanks ...

3. DanniBoySmith

DanniBoySmith Well-Known Member

again thanks for the info myke and noodalls /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif! great job doing so many characters in one day.

DS [4][6]+[P]+[K]: well guessed right that this was a sabaki. and its a good one too. should be very useful against characters like lion and sarah. btw does this sabaki also go through high attacks?? i'm only asking because maybe they didn't mention it due to it being such a standard feature in most sabaki's done from characters normal stances?

completely forgotten vanessa's moves from VF4 so i can't really comment on her change moves but weren't her [G],[8] or [2]+[P] the same as in evo? /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i guess 1/60th made some errors with the frame stats on these moves and my initial observations in the other thread were way off. these stats look much more believable (i guess a mid mid string which gave +adv on normal hit would have been too good...........................................................then again why did akira get a string like that? /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

the switch moves all sound great. +4 while going into OS sounds great but from DS they're only two moves which give the back blow and they're both pretty risky ([2]+[K] and [6]+[P],[K]). well hopefully some use will be found because they definitely open up a lot of possibilities for heavy nitaku situations from OS.

the increased jab speed in DS is wicked. should make it much easier to maintain an offense, esp if she's still retained her huge DS jab reach. btw are her new jab strings in both stances which end in the switch moves guaranteed of normal hit?? in DS that could be a huge asset (she'd finally be able to punish decently. thats probably her biggest prob in DS. she was probably the worst recovery punisher in evo in DS). regarding the faster jab, which combos in particular have been made easier due to it?

OS [4][3]+[P]+[K]: this sounds great! from the description vanessa seems to have gotten kage's [3]+[P] /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif. thats better then any whiff punisher i could hope for. er....is it punishable?

4. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Originally posted in another thread.

[ QUOTE ]
    DanniBoySmith said:

i'm sure myke and noodalls will get around to doing an arcadia translation soon enough but in the meantime we could discuss a little vanessa.

my biggest gripe with her in evo was her lack of range and a solid whiff punisher in OS. that's hopefully been remedied in FT with the introduction of her new move [4][3]+[P]+[K]. it hits high, is linear and from what i've seen from the movelist vids, seems to execute fast enough to act as a good whiff punisher (in the vid it hit at point blank range though so i have no idea of the extent of its range). oh and i think it also caused a flop which should allow for combo possibilities afterwards (the move itself does very little damage anyway). much needed addition imo.

she's gotten one new move in DS which is done via [4][6]+[P]+[K]. from the stats and from what i can gleam it seems to be quite useless. execution is 30 frames, hits high, -10 on block, +2 on hit and knockdown on CH plus completely linear. also from teh vid it seems to have rather limited range as well. as far as long execution, big payoff moves go, atm i don't see how it'll replace [2]+[P]+[K] and [4]+[P]. of course it might be a sabaki or have some uses i don't know about because i doubt am2 would give a character such a blatantly useless move.

then there's the stance changing stuff. from what i can see the best new one seems to be DS [P]+[K],[P]+[K]+[G]. the stats on this move are just awesome. for second hit (the knee) they're -4/+1/+6. the move's linear but i don't forsee that as a big issue. +1 on hit and +6 for CH is just wicked because you're in a position to setup anything from OS then. the +6 on CH seems to be a great setup for a mixup between her instant WS K and new [3][3]+[P]+[G] throw (at least thats what occured to me initially). the move could also have some wicked combo possibilities. i wonder if it'd work after DS [3]+[P]+[K]?

like DS [P]+[K],[P] i hope this variation is also a combo on normal hit or its usefulness could be somewhat limited. same goes for other stance transition moves she's recieved like OS [6]+[P],[P]+[K]+[G].

i like her new sweep from OS which takes her into the tackle though i'm somewhat confused because the vid site (http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown/2306/new.htm) lists the followup to ger sweep as [2]+[K]+[G] into [6]+[P]+[G] (to go into the tackle). however according to 1/60th's site the followup is listed as [6]+[P]. typo? the new sweep certainly gives her more damage potential though according to 1/60th its now only semi circular /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif. fair tradeoff but it seems she doesn't have any (fast & reliable) full circulars in OS anymore.

her new wall throw looks great but will probably have very limited uses. she also seems to have gained a new df throw in OS which i just noticed at 1/60th.

i don't know about being made stronger but vanessa certainly seems to have been given the versatility that a character with a movelist of that size should have /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    ice-9 said:

[ QUOTE ]
    my biggest gripe with her in evo was her lack of range and a solid whiff punisher in OS.

[/ QUOTE ]

[6][P]+[K] and [3][K][K] aren't bad I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    DanniBoySmith said:

[ QUOTE ]
    ice-9 said:
    [6][P]+[K] and [3][K][K] aren't bad I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

they're pretty bad as whiff punishers imo. if you backdash after a blocked or connected d+p for instance, you're not going to be catching the opponents moves with [3]+[K][K]. the first kick's range isn't enough to keep you in range after the backdash. [6]+[P]+[K] has the range but because vanessa already has a [4][6]+[P]+[K] style move its very impractical to use it after a backdash (you have to go to neutral or cancel the backdash motion with another direction first). i've tried to use both moves several times but they're really not feasible as reliable whiff punishers in my experience.

the only reliable whiff punisher she had (of sorts) was the generic [2]+[K]+[G]. it had pretty good range and i used to be able to catch my opponent with it many times after a backdash. i don't know the range of her new [2]+[K]+[G] though. if its as good as the old [2]+[K]+[G] then she's (hopefully) got two good punishers on her hands in OS now.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    ice-9 said:

[ QUOTE ]
    if you backdash after a blocked or connected d+p for instance, you're not going to be catching the opponents moves with [3][K][K]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure?? I think you can. The range on the OS sidekick is one of the best aspects of the move.

And how big of a hassle is [4][4][G][6][P]+[K] really?

Also, I have to say [2][K]+[G] is horrible for punishing whiffs. The damage is low, and Vanessa is at a disadvantage on hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. DanniBoySmith

good idea to merge the threads myke.

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you sure?? I think you can. The range on the OS sidekick is one of the best aspects of the move.

[/ QUOTE ] compared to her DS sidekick and most characters sidekicks, the range is horrible. like i said in my experience the range is horrible and in matches i whiff with the move way too much to call it a whiff punisher. additionally i've yet to see any vanessa player use it to punish whiffs after backdashes. in fact i'm surprised you're calling the range on the kick one of the best aspects because i feel the complete opposite way.

[ QUOTE ]
    And how big of a hassle is [4][4][G][6][P]+[K] really?

[/ QUOTE ]
    depends on the player i guess. i consider it pretty significant. my other two mains are shun and jeff. both their whiff punishers feel more natural (chouwan and [4][3]+[P],[P] in the way they're executed after a backdash. for that matter look at every other common whiff punisher or general move commonly used by other characters after a backdash. akira's [3]+[P]+[K] and shoulder ram, lions [4][4]+[K], jacky's beat knuckle, most characters sidekicks, etc. how many of them require you to go to cancel the backdash and go to neutral first?? thats all the logic i need really. i feel vanessa's [6]+[P]+[K] wasn't designed to whiff punish but rather to be used as an elbow class punisher and catch delayed dodges.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, I have to say [2][K]+[G] is horrible for punishing whiffs. The damage is low, and Vanessa is at a disadvantage on hit.

[/ QUOTE ] i see kurita and tokyo megane use it after backdashes a fair bit. so do i and its mostly because of the range on the move. its also a simple command. i'm not saying its a really good whiff punisher because of the disadvantage but imo its a good occasional flowchart to use when you backdash after fast recovery moves like a [2]+[P] or [3]+[P],[P] (on hit). saying its a reliable whiff punisher was probably a bit extreme so my bad for that /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

6. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    DanniBoySmith said:

DS [4][6]+[P]+[K]: well guessed right that this was a sabaki. and its a good one too. should be very useful against characters like lion and sarah. btw does this sabaki also go through high attacks?? i'm only asking because maybe they didn't mention it due to it being such a standard feature in most sabaki's done from characters normal stances?

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be drawing a blank, but I don't know of any other characters who have sabakis against knee/sk/mk and can also go through high attacks? Given the fact that she already has a sabaki (and more!) to deal with high attacks then I would say the chances for this attack to do the same are next to zero. Wishful thinking maybe? /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. DanniBoySmith

[ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:
    I may be drawing a blank, but I don't know of any other characters who have sabakis against knee/sk/mk and can also go through high attacks? Given the fact that she already has a sabaki (and more!) to deal with high attacks then I would say the chances for this attack to do the same are next to zero. Wishful thinking maybe? /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

we-ell there is lion with his qcb+[P]. it is wishful thinking on my part though because getting a sabaki so similar to lion's would have made her matches against lion and sarah so much easier (esp sarah's flamingo stance). i guess thats why i was hoping for it to sabaki highs /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

8. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I don't think i added it to my translation, but the way it reads is this move can parry those three classes of attacks. So, I think it really is just those three.

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    i see kurita and tokyo megane use it after backdashes a fair bit. so do i and its mostly because of the range on the move.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be. I do it too sometimes, but it's mostly to decrease the risk of the move. I.e. at longer distance opponents will have a more difficult time of punishing you at disadvantage...and plus, the nature of the move is such that frames wasted in back-dashing isn't a big deal.

10. KS_Vanessa

KS_Vanessa Well-Known Member

i humberly apologize to myke and congratualate him at the same time for giving this much needed info!! thanks MYKE!!

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I tried Vanessa OS the other day, some points to share:

- [6_][K] has been drastically weakened. It now only crumples on MC and above, which is a shame since a lot of hits connected in Evo were against a low punch. However, the reach might have improved a bit--Vanessa's limb just looks bigger.

- Damage in [3][3][P]+[G] has been increased with the change in animation. To 60 points now?

- On mount, [P]+[G] takes more damage wiht a cooler animation and the camera panning for a close-up.

I forgot to try out [4][3][P]+[K]...will do so later today. That new move excepting, OS Vanessa feels weaker.

12. pkg_inc

pkg_inc Well-Known Member

sorry to be anal, but how does the mounting throw look like? (I haven't the connection for downloading clips)

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hmm, the camera does a close up: Vanessa's face is right next to the opponent's face. The arm goes around the neck and, crack!, damage is taken. Sorry man, I'm crap at descriptions like this.

One thing I forgot to mention about OS Vanessa that is a major downgrade: [2][K]+[G], or the lack of it. Yup, she no longer has her low circular sweep, but instead has a half-circular, standing low kick similar Jeff's and Goh's. I think [3][K]+[G] is the same kick, but half-circular in the other direction. So she's lost full circularity and the ducking low animation.

14. pkg_inc

hehe, it's the thought that counts /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I use the OS sweep for punishing (never mind how (un)effective it is). Is there any circular attacks that are appliable in OS (not [K]+[G])? (suppose not, but something like the vf4 MT [6][6][K]+[G] (I think)).

15. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

I dunno, I think Vane in OS has more options now. For example, the OS dodge move is now her pounce. So you can dodge an attack and pounce... amazing stuff, and it's fast too.

I think maybe you have to work hard in OS (not like you didn't have to before) but the results are good. I need to try that new move some more, but I keep forgetting she has it. What does it sabaki again?

I thought that that [2][K]+[G] kick could link to the pounce but I guess I was wrong? I thought it was a standing version of the [6][6][K]+[G] ?

16. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    KTallguy said:

I dunno, I think Vane in OS has more options now. For example, the OS dodge move is now her pounce. So you can dodge an attack and pounce... amazing stuff, and it's fast too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to avoid any confusion, the "pounce" being referred to is her Takedown and not her down attack.

[ QUOTE ]
    I think maybe you have to work hard in OS (not like you didn't have to before) but the results are good. I need to try that new move some more, but I keep forgetting she has it. What does it sabaki again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which new move in OS? She has a new move in DS that sabakis knees, middle and side kicks, which was explained in the first post of this thread (the leopard strike).

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought that that [2][K]+[G] kick could link to the pounce but I guess I was wrong? I thought it was a standing version of the [6][6][K]+[G] ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Leg Slicer ~ Takedown: (OS) [2][K]+[G] (counter hit) [6][P]+[G]

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that! I think the good thing there is that, unlike Wolf's, it's not escapable. I didn't know about low kick > takedown, but I see now how that makes sense!

Overall though, I still think she's much harder to play effectively in FT. I now only get one crumple combo per match from [6_][K], whereas I used to get it all the time in Evo.

[4][3][P]+[K] is quite good, though I had always used [3][K][K] in places where I can now use the new attack.

18. pkg_inc

is the not-quite-a-combo OS MC ws[K] ~ [6][6][K] ~ [6][P]+[K] ~ [3][P]+[K][K] ([3][K]) still working?

And can the opponent easily throw you (as I assume her new evade attack is a catch throw) on a failed evade -> evade attack?

edit: I mean, could you easily throw her on reaction?

19. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The combo still works.

Our Vanessa player here doesn't use that evade attack (catch throw) that much.. it's about as effective as using it regularly I guess (i.e. not very?) but I suppose with the ability to evade first it may allow it to connect more often, especially against slow recovering moves.

20. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Played OS Vanessa some more today. She's still quite good I suppose, but you can't rely on [6_][K] as much. Some other notes:

- [4][3][P]+[K] is not bad for beating unsuccessful dodges as the article above suggests. I've been comboing with [3][P]+[K],[K] but something better might be possible. I've also done [2][P] > WS knee. The damage is good, but the Russian Hook feels throw-counterable. It's also has unreliable hit detection.

- Vanessa still has her old [3][3][P]+[G] from Evo, but executed as [3][P]+[G]. 45 points for the old one, 52 points for the new one. So Vane's throwing game improved a bit.

- I was hoping that, with the ability to change stance at the beginning of the round, I wouldn't have to play DS at all. However, the stance switch moves seem quite good. [6][P] (hit) [P]+[K]+[G] and you can throw, [1][P], [3][P], etc. Haven't tried the others, but [2][K], [P]+[K]+[G] looks promising as well.

- The dodge attack to mount works OK with the CPU, doesn't work all that well against human opponents. It's simply too slow, and I often get MCed attempting it.

- [2]+[K]+[G] sucks...I'd rather [2][K][P][P] if I thought I could MC.

I was surprised that I could beat a couple of 10-dans in Hong Kong using OS Vanessa...I guess she's not that neutered.