1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vanessa STANCE?!?! (To be or not to be)

Discussion in 'General' started by HotSauceNelly, Aug 9, 2019.

1. HotSauceNelly

HotSauceNelly Well-Known Member

Recently Demetrius a.k.a @Cmoney posted an interesting video ranking the various stances in VF5. Lau's Kokei, Kage's Jumonji and Sarah's Flamingo stance were just a few that were mentioned. As I watched the video I noticed that Vanessa's offensive stance was not being considered as a "STANCE". C-Money is of the belief that it's more of a form in and of itself as oppose to a stance. So I ask the community, what would you consider Vanessa as having? A separate "stance".....or is she 2 separate characters in one??? :D:D:D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    beanboy likes this.
  2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I'd more go with the belief, it might be a combination of both.
    But moreso, with the two characters in one idea.:p

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    HotSauceNelly likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Technically speaking, Vanessa has two "styles" which can be effectively thought of as being two characters in one.

"Stances" differ in that it's a temporary state the character can enter where they no longer can access their "normal" moves, but instead, have a subset of moves particular to that stance. Also, a character in stance cannot guard. So for these reasons you wouldn't technically classify Vanessa's Defensive and Offensive Styles as stances.

beanboy, Mister and HotSauceNelly like this.
  4. HotSauceNelly

""But more so, with the two characters in one idea"":p That seems to be the more popular opinion. Im inclined to agree!

5. HotSauceNelly

I must admit that characters being unable to block while in a stance slipped my mind. Good point Myke!

Myke likes this.
  6. The_Nth_Degree

The_Nth_Degree Active Member

Nope. Just nope. It would help if you guys practiced actual martial arts, then these things wouldn't be so confusing. Every martial art has multiple stances within that style. Some moves would be more practical to do from a cat stance than a horse stance in Karate.

Virtua Fighter has several characters that bend or break the rules of the game. Vanessa is one of them. From a gameplay standpoint, Vanessa should not be able to block in defensive stance. By that same token, Aoi should not be able to do a reversal on two-handed moves, but she can. So if C-Money made a top ten lists of reversals, is he going to exclude Aoi's because they break the rules of the game?

Did you see his top ten moves list? He listed Jean's roll kick as his best move instead of his guard breaker. /Facepalm. Why would you take any of his lists seriously after that , I have no idea.

The simple and obvious fact us both Vanessa's offensive stance and defensive stance are within Vale Tudo, so they are therefore stances. If her offensive was Vale Tudo, and her defensive stance switched her to be Akido, then she should be excluded from the top ten stances list.

7. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    errr.. I thought we're talking about game terminology, not real life.

8. Cmoney

Cmoney Well-Known Member

Ninth degree you need to go back and watch that top ten special move video again, I never said that jeans roll was his best move, however I did say it was his SAFEST MOVE! Being the best move and safest move are two totally different things, the roll kick gives players a tougher time to defend against the move is his dirtiest move because it allows jean to go in Uber safe launch mode when it’s blocked or evaded and its his most used move! That’s why the move made the list, Let that sink in....Now as far as making a reversal video, nice try but it wouldn’t make any sense at all because so Of the reasons that you just posted, Aoi just has a dafault advantage so you can’t make a video like that. The reason why Vanessa’s offensive stance is not a stance also is because when a certain character is in a stance they can be knocked out of it if counter hit or however. Also some characters cant even move normally while they’re in stancesVanessa stays in that form when she’s knocked down, which is not a stance in my view it’s a total change of style and form! Another fact that it’s not a stance is because SHE HAS THE ABILITY TO SWITCH BEFORE THE ROUND EVEN STARTS NO OTHER CHARACTER CAN DO THAT which proves that it’s a style instead of a stance! And to answer the question taking the video seriously, when you watch the list I’m only giving MY TOP TEN THEN I ASKED WHATS YOURS! So it’s ok not to take my list seriously because it’s not just about me, the videos are about exploring YOUR PARTICULAR LIST!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    jimi Claymore and HotSauceNelly like this.
  9. HotSauceNelly

We were! The_Nth_Degree took it somewhere else! Lol!

MadeManG74 and Cmoney like this.
  10. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    For the record, in VF4, Vanessa's Offensive Style used to be Muai Thai.

Also, @Cmoney I protest: Vanessa does have stances! There's DS Intercept Position (aka. lie down stance aka. that stance only ever used near walls or when falling FUFT) and OS Intruder Step (indeed it doesn't last a second but if Jacky's short-lived Slide Shuffle counts, so then should intruder step).

...also thank you for yet another Virtua Fighter video (I liked the the last one even better :))

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    HotSauceNelly likes this.
  11. beanboy

I wish she still had her Muay Thai stance.
    Taking it away was such a silly idea.

12. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Brad Burns disagrees!

beanboy likes this.
  13. beanboy

Yeah. So true.:p