1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Vanessa's Bread N Butter Moves?

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by Chan415, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Chan415

Chan415 Active Member

Just trying to get the hang of her, but mainly want to know which moves should i have on the top of my move list.

Right now, it's

MTS- F+P+K
    DS- F+P, K, K
    MTS- D+K, P, P

Those are my 3 most used moves for vanessa, but I was wondering if any of you guys who've used her for awhile use something else in a tight situation.

2. ukie

ukie Member

I just started to use Vanessa as well. Some of the moves I like to use in tight situations, besides the ones you said...

DS-
    First and foremost, g+u+p or g+d+p /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    Along with b,b+k and g+d/b or u/b+k into f+p+g, and the f+k into f+p+g

ws+p is pretty useful as well. Sometimes, I do d/b+g+k to get out of low attacks.

Only other two attack moves I use often when I'm right in the face of opponents (especially counter happy Aoi, Pai and Akira) are p, d/f+p and d/f+p+k? (don't know if that's the high angle fist drop, because I usually tap d+p+k and it comes out... Vanessa slowly turns around before landing a mid-elbow) and hope the delay will catch them off the timing.

I haven't had much experience fighting other players with MTS, so I usually fall back on that handy g+u+p, f+p+k, and the defensive elbow against low attacks a lot. I'm not good enough with the stance to sort out my preferences of other combos in MTS in a pinch situation.

- ukie

3. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Vanessa's Guard/Intercept Series

<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=yellow>DOG's findings in Vanessa's Guard/Intercept series (i.e. G,u+P ; G,d+P) is an interesting turtle's approach to openers especially if you know that your opponent is likely to blitz with a series of punches and kicks. When applied successfully, Vanessa's Guard/Intercept series will reap Major Counters (MC) and Stomach Crumbles and will reward anything else you may want to tag on, i.e. d+P, d+K, df+K, u+P, etc. You can even get some bounce combos in! It can yield from 40-60 damage points prior to Ground Attacks (u+P, df+K). And it can be run all over again.

The Flipside: This tactic is best run by more experienced players who are familiar other character's pokes and strings. A constant vigil needs to be kept for throws that lurk nearby... This is one big reason why I run this scheme out of a crouch: to avoid the high throw. Still, Vanessa is going to be vulnerable to low throws and veterans will see that. Jeffry's come out at an 8 frame/60-80 damage rate... ouch... VF nutjobs will also detect that you're running this scheme if you go to your Guard too soon. In tandem, if you've been selling your opponent on your prowess in administering her Guard/Intercept package, you can actually run a Bait and Switch mini-game by going to the Guard early and busting out with a throw of your own as your opponent approaches. It will definitely keep them guessing and keep the advantage out of their hands.

I’ve been working out some combos for the Guard/Intercept series. My test subjects were Kage, Pai and Jeffry. The data is still pretty unrefined and I can’t say that everything will work on Heavyweights just yet. </font color=yellow><font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=yellow>DOG is still teaching me about closed and open stances/positioning. I’m not up to speed on it yet… so much to learn, so little time… So I’ll probably need some help to fill in the blanks to regarding open/closed stances on these. Here’s some of the combos I have so far:

<font color=orange>Gd+P/Gu+P Combos (DS)

f+P = 42 damage

d+P = 37 damage (38 damage on MC?)
    d+P -> d+P = 42 damage (44 damage on MC)
    d+P -> d+K = 45 damage
    d+P -> d+K -> d+K = 51 damage

df+P = 43 damage
    df+PP = 48 damage
    df+PPK = 54 damage
    df+PP -> d+K = 52 damage
    (hope the notation is correct)

d+K = 43 damage
    d+K -> d+K = 51 damage
    d+K -> d+K -> d+K = 57 damage

d+K -> K = 53 damage

df+K = 48 damage
    df+K -> d+K = 56 damage
    df+K -> d+K -> d+K = 62 damage

d,K = 36 damage (40 damage on MC)
    d,KK = 55 damage
    d,K -> d+K = 48 damage (54 damage on MC)
    d,K -> d+K -> d+K = 52 damage (62 damage on MC)

d+K+G =42 (49 damage on MC)

Gd+P/Gu+P Combos (MTS)

d+K = 46 damage
    d+K -> d+K = 56 damage

f,f+K = 40 damage

d+K+G =42 (49 damage on MC)</font color=orange>

<font color=yellow>I’m sure there are more. Add in the Ground game (u+P or df+K) for 25 and 13 additional damage points respectively and you have the makings of a nice little piece of havoc and mayhem. There are wall combos using Vanessa’s Guard/Intercept series, too. Still working on that as well…
    /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Hope it this helps. There’s more cool stuff on Vanessa at the thread and the <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=versus&Number=34432>Vanessa crumple combos (no low throws) thread to take in. Check it out!</font color=yellow>

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Vanessa's Guard/Intercept Series

Sayow, thank you for the listing of moves, and their damages after the guard intercept. I have one followup to add, although it is not a true combo, it is still an interesting situation.

After a Gd+P or Gu+P MC stomach crumples, hit your opponent with f+K, this will land them face down, head towards. If your opponent tech rolls, tap f,f, and then hit them with a df+K. If timed right you will connect with the kick and put your opponent into BackStagger, a useful situation, as your opponent will be backturned, staggering (obvious from the name) and completely open to a followup attack. I havent gone over all my options for the followups, but a b,f+P+K,P or db+K+G are nice options. The db+K+G will only really let you juggle much if it strikes the opponent against a wall though. At any rate, its all inescapable as long as the opponent Techrolls after the f+K knee, and the damage is immense.
    b,b+K+G kind of a scrubby move. Seems to hit my freind on occasion and has a nice crumple on a connect. You can charge to taste.

Now anyway, back to the initial question of bread and butter moves, here are a few ive been using to kick my friends ass.

DS - Defensive Stance
    Gu+P or Gd+P
    df+K, f+P+G (doesnt have to be MC so i find it to be a very easy hit-to-grapple sort of move)
    d+P
    ws+P
    d+K,P,P
    P,P,K and P,P,P,K (note: my friend is getting good at ducking these, so every now and then ill stop the string short, pressing G will clear the buffer to help stopping it. Then i often try the next move on my list)
    df+P+K+G Low Throw!! Great move, i low throw a fair bit since my opponent doesnt seem to ever escape.
    FC+K, and d+K+G
    df+K when opponent is down
    f,f+K vs sidesteppers
    f+P,K,K its nice that you can stall the executions here.
    Throws!!! Vane has a nice selection of throws and they are good part of my arsenal, the ones i use most are HCF+P+G, 270+P+G (mostly u,b,d,f+P+G, although i think the other is cooler looking) and f,f+P+K,P
    Reversal - im not too good at reversals, i use it only when my opponent is in a rut, and i know whats coming, or if he plans on trying the mid wakeup kick, which i can see coming.

MT - Muay Tai Stance (any moves listed above that can be done in MT stance are also used here)
    K, f+K and f,f+K knee strings i mix these up a fair bit, with K,K,P,K and f,f+K,d+K,K being my faves.
    df+K
    d+P sabaki
    f+P,P,K
    f+P+K (usually with f+P,P,K as the juggle, or df+P,K and a df+K tacked on if i can)
    Throw in this stance is df+P+G mostly, and i still low throw alot.

Im sorry for listing a whole lot of moves, but i cant help it, Vanessa has the biggest movelist of any character, and she needs it. A wide range of options available in each fight really helps her out. And believe me i could have listed more that i use semi regularily, but i figured enough was enough.

5. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

are you talking about ver B or C? you should really specify as a lot of Vanessa's moves are toned down.

For Ver B, MT p+k,p,k is THE BEST move for Vanessa. The kkpp is a close second. But both are not very useful anymore in Ver C.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry about that, i had just assumed he meant version C, seeing as the ps2 version is getting the majority of the attention currently. I had forgotten about those who would read my post and attempt my stuff on version b.

So anyway, all my tips are for the console version. As for version B i have no comments.

7. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Van's B&B against an expert Akira version B? What are your suggestions for battle plan? Van player is competent. thx in advance. ver C answers are cool too.
    /versus/images/icons/wink.gif Gotham VF Club will award a VF4 poster at todays AM battle (8 Mott St)
    www.chinatownfair.com[//url]

8. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color=white>My bad! </font color=white><font color=yellow>I always presume that we're talking about Verson C. I don't get to the arcades much.</font color=yellow>

9. SLA

SLA Active Member

Re: Vanessa's Guard/Intercept Series

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

After a Gd+P or Gu+P MC stomach crumples, hit your opponent with f+K, this will land them face down, head towards. If your opponent tech rolls, tap f,f, and then hit them with a df+K. If timed right you will connect with the kick and put your opponent into BackStagger, a useful situation, as your opponent will be backturned, staggering (obvious from the name) and completely open to a followup attack. I havent gone over all my options for the followups, but a b,f+P+K,P or db+K+G are nice options. The db+K+G will only really let you juggle much if it strikes the opponent against a wall though. At any rate, its all inescapable as long as the opponent Techrolls after the f+K knee, and the damage is immense.

<hr></blockquote>

LOL. This keeps happening to me. I find something out and the next day someone posts the shit. Happened with some of the juggles in the "Vanessa in General" thread.

Either way. I found this out playing my friends Jacky. Followup after backturn stagger: I elected for the ff+k. He wasn't able to get out of it...but I'm new to the game so I don't know if it's possible or not. He started to p+k+g tech (for Jacky he just stands up...what I would give for Vanessa to have the same animation!)...is d/f+k guaranteed in this situation as well? I have a hard time with this get-up...since I am a Tekken player...we can hit them when they pop up....VF4, have to wait until they are fully standing, correct?

If not guaranteed...Vanessa mix-ups in effect afterwards.

Let's not forget/neglect her evade+p+k+g.