1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Very General Questions

Discussion in 'Goh' started by InterDinghy, Jan 12, 2008.

1. InterDinghy

InterDinghy Member

I've had this game for a couple days now but I've probably already clocked about 20 hours into it, but there are a couple things I don't get:

1) What is a "sabaki" and an "ukemi"? Is there some kind of resource I could check up on for information on these types of things?

2) Whenever I play online, I almost never get the chance to throw, because almost no one blocks. No matter how much I block or avoid their attacks, as soon as I go in for the throw, it's just /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif I'm dead.

3) I've looked over the black book Goh strategy a couple times now, and can pull off most of the combos, but again, online I never get a chance to do anything. Almost every match I get into is just the other person doing some combo, backing up really far and running at me, and then I either do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to knock them down, they out prioritize me, or they block my string (which isn't surprising since it's all I can do) and proceed to knock me senseless.

4) Evades don't seem to do much for me at all, I usually just wind up dodging the first hit, but they just keep mashing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and eventually get turned around and hit me, making it a wasted effort.

5) Finally, I never seem to have enough time to input an OM online, and since most moves just change direction to attack you during it (or so I've heard) anyway, what's the point? Goh's roll also feels a bit useless.

Sorry if this is a bit much, but I'm really interested in getting better with this character. I've memorized all of his throws and, given the chance, can execute all of them near-perfectly, but no one ever blocks so I'm forced into playing him as a striking character, which bugs me.

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Ukemi (fall down) means doing a quick rise technique (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif as you hit the ground) or a tech roll (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif as you hit the ground). Essentially it means recovering quickly from a fall. If you press the buttons exactly on the moment you touch the ground, happens 'exact recovery' and you take no damage from the fall. Some knockdowns require exact recovery to be recovered from and some knockdowns cannot be recovered from at all (like stuns and 'bounces')

Sabaki is an attack that has in-built ability to defeat certain types of moves (it has sort of parry built into it) during part of its execution regardless of frame advantage. Sabakis are important to Goh. The types of moves that sabaki defeats are listed on the movelists. Look here: http://virtuafighter.com/commands/index.php?ver=5c&chara=goh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    2) Whenever I play online, I almost never get the chance to throw, because almost no one blocks. No matter how much I block or avoid their attacks, as soon as I go in for the throw, it's just /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif I'm dead.
    </div></div>

You shouldnt do throws randomly. Idea is to predict when opponent is blocking or evading and do a throw then. Also it is good idea to first gain advantage (hit or stagger enemy) which will make opponent propably defend so you can throw them. Read your opponents patterns and antagonize on the opportunities.
    Also a rule of thumb that I use is "never to try throwing a beginner" because beginner will most likely just mash his way out of throws. Against mashers gain advantage and punish them with a combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    3) I've looked over the black book Goh strategy a couple times now, and can pull off most of the combos, but again, online I never get a chance to do anything. Almost every match I get into is just the other person doing some combo, backing up really far and running at me, and then I either do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to knock them down, they out prioritize me, or they block my string (which isn't surprising since it's all I can do) and proceed to knock me senseless.
    </div></div>
    Its a good idea to take a look on the movelists and learn when you have frame advantage and when disadvantage. Attack when you have sufficient advantage and defend when you are in disadvantage. Hitting your opponent with some quick move can ensure that the following move you do cannot be interrupted. This way you 'set up' your opponent into a combolauncher/throw guessing game. look how they tend to defend in the situation and use the option that beats them.

Learning the concept of advantage/disadvantage is the basis of fighting games. Make sure you know the disadvantage you are in when your moves are blocked! And know what you can do after your moves hit.

4) Evades don't seem to do much for me at all, I usually just wind up dodging the first hit, but they just keep mashing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and eventually get turned around and hit me, making it a wasted effort.

5) Finally, I never seem to have enough time to input an OM online, and since most moves just change direction to attack you during it (or so I've heard) anyway, what's the point? Goh's roll also feels a bit useless.
    </div></div>
    The key with evades and OM is timing and advantage. Doing an evade when opponent doesnt do anything will result in "failed evade" which is shorter and puts you into disadvantage.
    If you time evade to opponents attack, you will get a 'succesful evade, your character will let out a small sound and the evade will be longer and always succesfully evade opponent attack as long as it is evadable in the first place (circular moves cannot be evaded). Also, pressing any button after evade will make opponent track you with his following moves. Using evades is slightly complex but they definitely have their uses.

OM is a special offensive evade, which is only meant to be used when you have advantage. Doing an OM in neutral or disadvantegous situation will propably result in it being interrupted by opponents attack. In contrast, normal evade is meant to be used from disadvantage, and doing it otherwise will most propably result in failed evade.

EDIT: And don't be afraid to ask questions! Everybody has to start from somewhere. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

3. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

Goh's roll can be used for Uramawari purposes (getting to your opponents back when foes is rising) or simply to close the gap between the close range fighter Goh and your foe. While rolling you evade all high, and some mid attacks. You can set up a guess game with the roll too: either buffer a throw after the role if your opponent doesn't react or make use of quick strings when waking up from rolling. However, be aware that you can be low-thrown while rolling. Here some ideas:
    <ul>[*]ROLL > THROW (LOW or HIGH)[*]FOE DOWN, LYING SIDEWARDS > ROLL (to FEET)[*]FOE ESCAPED YOUR THROW > SIDE OR BACKTURNED SITUATION > ROLL into SAFETY[*] ROLL > SHOULDERRAM[*] ROLL > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif HIT-CHECK/DELAY /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif [*] ROLL > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif HIT-CHECK/DELAY /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif[/list]

4. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    You can use the roll as an escape option after being left side or back turned after a throw escape for example.

5. boxedwishes

boxedwishes Member

I find when I play online you have to classify the type of opponent you are fighting before you set up your game plan. If they are abare(aggressive) players your best bet is to focus on punishing strikes since they are likely going to interrupt any throws. The only time you can throw an aggressive player generally is when they use a move that when blocked gives them severe disadvantage. Good moves to use against the aggressive player are the shoulder ram, basic kick, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, jab, low jab, and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. Also knowing how to use your sabakis is crucial against an aggressive player since they typically open with jab or elbow to start an offense. They also like to low punch in disadvantageous situations. Goh has sabakis for all of these situations.

Against the more conservative style of opponent you are more likely going to get throws to land. Jab or low punch to throw setups work pretty well but only when they connect. If they block such attacks you better not go for a throw. Try to work dashes into throws when possible.

Goh's biggest strength in my opinion is the ability to turn the match around with a sabaki. Practice observing your opponent as well as sabaki followups and you should be on your way to becoming a skilled player.

6. InterDinghy

InterDinghy Member

Thanks for all the helpful posts, especially the bits about OMs and DMs. I've got just a couple more questions here, then:

1) Would it be possible, given enough advantage, to block the first hit of a string and do a sabaki? I kind of doubt it since it would make them a little too easy to execute, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

2) Since pretty much everybody online uses umeki or at least uses a quick wake up move, I don't really see the point to the ground throws/grabs. I've seen a few people use them quickly enough after a move to get one in, but are there certain moves where you can follow up with a ground throw?

3) I've also noticed people using his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif as what appears to be a follow up. Is this an actual combination, or did the other player just happen to duck immediately after the hit and get grabbed or something?

I don't think I've run into a conservative player yet, really. They either mash out strings or do a little damage and back way up to wait for a time out/me to rush them so they can mash out the same string.

7. boxedwishes

boxedwishes Member

My knowledge regarding VF is pretty limited since my only experience with VF is VF5 but I'll try to answer your questions:

1) Sabakis are mostly for two situations: either you are disadvantaged and want another option to get out of a disadvantaged situation (i.e. want more options besides DM, low punch, or block) or you have a good grasp of your opponents attack habits. I find using a sabaki in the middle of an opponent's string is pretty hard to pull off and not very practical. Sabakis shouldn't really be spammed since they don't do too much damage on their own and aren't the greatest frame data wise.

2) Ground throws are only guaranteed in select situations and even then ground throws are escapable so its not 'guaranteed damage'. A ground grab is guaranteed in a few situations: the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif throw, when the enemy hits a wall during a juggle, after a successful /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, after a tsukami grab /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, or even after a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif knockdown or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif knockdown. If they tech roll a lot, you can punish them with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif depending on the direction they roll in.

3) I don't know how to answer this one.

4) I guess conservative is hard to describe, but they are generally players who understand the game's system and don't take many chances when disadvantaged and press their advantage when they have it. Beating machi(turtle) players will never be easy as Goh. You're only solution is to learn what attacks and throws you can punish turtles with after blocking/evading one of their attacks. Turtles like to play with moves that knock you down and moves that have such properties typically leave them vulnerable to a lot of attacks if you can block it successfully.

8. Leonard_McCoy

1) Very much possible. Usually for a punch/elbow+kick string it is not unpopular to sabaki the kick with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for example (see Jacky's strings, etc).

2) Ground throw attempts are guaranteed in certain situations only. As already mentioned /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is a good example here. However, be aware that the opponent has a 50% chance to evade the ground throw (which is either /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif).

3) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif ?! What's that move supposed to be (typing mistake) ?

4) I also hate the hit-and-run players, if that's what you mean. Closing in to them as fast as possible when they are trying to hide away is important for Goh. Using OM, and his roll comes in handy here (you may want to try an OM evade sequence: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and so forth). As well, his standard kick /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for foes rushing towards you with whatever attack, and your Rage kick /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for fleeing foes come in handy here. Goh's highest efficiency is up-close only. Thus, bridging the distance is one of his top priorities. More advanced stepping gets the job done here, as well.

9. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    There are some moves that guarantee a low throw attempt, but low throws are always escapable, so most people don't consider them an "actual combination".

10. Stiff

Stiff Well-Known Member

I think he means the low throw after a crumple.

Regarding ground throws. I've found some players always tech roll (generally into the screen) and others hardly ever. Ground throws are good for those that don't. For those that techroll, you have the option to dash in and use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif +/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to throw them as they rise out of the tech roll.

I've found most players online to play aggressively. Very different from the lower level CPU players, but you can adjust quite easily.

Goh's sabakis are great against players who are predictable - same strings over and over. For example against Akira - he has lots of mid attacks which can be reversed. I find lots of opponents will block after this move (mid sabaki) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif , leaving you the opportunity for a throw.

Predicting what opponents will do is a big part of Goh's game, but against the mashers it's not so important, as they'll often be randomly attacking. It's not easy to play a stylish/fun game against these players. Some games I've just used /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif over and over to defeat a frustrating player who doesn't understand what they are doing or why they are even being hit. Not fun, but rather that than lose to them.

11. sai

sai Member

i really want to get better with Goh. i don't know where to start, though. poet and didn't know it, =P.

all i do every fight is just punch and kick; it's really bad. i can do all his moves without problem except for the basara's. i can do those sometimes.

anyway, i read through all the comments here and they are helpful, but could someone that has played Goh for a while please layout how they got better with him.

this is my first fighter game. well, i played MK on the genisis like 12 years ago. but, that was nothing like vf5.
    with other characters i can just jump right into them and perform so much better than when i use Goh.

although, those characters aren't as interesting to me. like i said i really want to play Goh as my main, so if anyone could post some more tips or suggestions. maybe i'm just lacking something that can't be taught, dunno. i do know that it really is frustrating to try and execute certain moves and just get raped by /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif over and over again.

then after i guard i goto do a move and they just start up again with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and that's that. are all of Goh's moves slower than every other fighter's? seems that they are.

thanks for the information thus far in this thread. i appreciate it.

12. Stiff

Stiff Well-Known Member

Hey, don't be disheartened. Where are you based in the world? I'm sure you'll find people on here who'll play (a Goh) against you - you'd be suprised how much you learn just watching.

I played Goh in VF4 Evo and I pretty much hardly ever won against my friends. It was fine because I was new to it all and they'd been playing a while. It's only now, after pretty much thousands of matches and hours in the dojo drilling stuff and working out/practicing combos that I'm able to compete with them. I think I still lose the most - but I'm getting closer!

It's probably a good idea to have a another character to switch to and play if you get frustrated. Saying that I never have /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

13. sai

sai Member

ya when i get tired of losing i go brad or lau and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif followed by /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

makes me feel better, haha.

14. SweepTheLeg

SweepTheLeg Well-Known Member

If Brad or Lau are PPPKing you, try Goh's P+K sabaki.

15. Leonard_McCoy

What I found useful to do (even nowadays) is to take full advantage of the Dojo mode. Getting to know Goh's strengths and weaknesses can be masterly observed here. Simply choose Goh as your Dojo companion. Set the AI's advanced setting (throw escapes, etc.) to random and the CPU difficulty to highest and then fight him.

Seeing how the CPU tries to play with Goh will get you a better feeling of his moves, and specific tactics.

After you got better I'd try for the Quest Mode on Hard or Expert. If the difficulty gets too high, then lower it. Try to play against every Goh Quest CPU on Hard or Expert in order to see some of the quite different play styles of this Judo character.

Goh may have only four combos, and not too many moves; but the moves that he got are highly damaging, and efficient up-close. The quickest punishment action /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is even one of his major mind games as he has multiple options from the back-turned state (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif).

16. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

This is a great training idea I never thought of. I guess you could employ that with any character to see how a high level CPU plays with them. I'm going to try that later today...

17. sai

sai Member

yea that's a really good idea. i'll try it.

18. InterDinghy

InterDinghy Member

After employing all of the advice in this thread online, I've noticed that I win considerably more matches, but I've really only been fighting people who just spam the same strings, and it's almost solely because I've just memorized how to block them.

When I fight against a player who actually switches things up a bit, I seem to just have no idea what I'm doing and go into a kind of frenzy :(.

By this I don't mean I just start mashing punch, I mean I just kind of fade into doing the same thing over and over no matter how often I'm punished for it the second I start to lose.

Is there any way to get better at predicting others' moves? The timing on most sabakis seems like I have to do the input before they've even done the move (I guess this is the point?), so I tend to just avoid them altogether.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ROLL > THROW (LOW or HIGH)</div></div>
    This is probably the thing I've had the most luck with online. No one ever seems to see it coming, no matter how many times I use it against them. I've actually gotten some 270s in because of this.

is it's application as an Uramawari that you use it when they're down with a side facing you or something? If I knock them straight down I usually just roll into them and get a wake-up kick.

So I'll ask a couple more questions! :

1) Is the shoulder ram the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif? If so, what exactly is the charge time on the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif, and is there an alternate input? I've noticed that I have successfully performed this move (or something that looks like it?) using just /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

2) Should I stop using his roundhouse and punch follow up? I've been using it lately to bait far away players to punish the kick and then following up with the punch. This seems to work an awful lot, but I'm slowly becoming extremely dependent on it, and when this happens I start failing. Hard. Are there any good alternatives?

3) Online I'm still seeing a lot of people who just mash out their string. I'm fairly good at the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif sabaki in the dojo, but I've yet to do it online even once. Could this just be a lag issue?

4) What are some good punishers for when I have only a small advantage? Most of the time online people just spam punch, so it's hard to get much of an advantage on them.

5) Abare Akira players absolutely decimate me. He is one of the couple of characters I have yet to beat at all online. Almost all of his standard chains seem to be unblockable and cause a stagger, and if I try to block one that actually IS blockable, before I can get out a punisher I get hit by one of his disorienting throw moves and get destroyed. I'm afraid to try a defensive move even though most of his attacks seem linear, because the timing on them is still really awkward for me. Should I just practice getting comfortable with DMs offline?

6) OMs still seem useless. I've never seen anyone online use a move that gives me enough of an advantage to get one of these out. Am I just playing bad people?

This thread really has been a huge help, and it's gotten me up to 1st Dan. I feel like I'm right on the cusp of becoming a decent Goh player. Some day!

19. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif Will produce the shoulder ram without needing to hold a crouch.

20. Cadger

Cadger Member

The shoulder ram can also be done with the hadouken motion from SF.