1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF 5 to be shown tomorrow at AM Show

Discussion in 'General' started by 3of19, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Re: Looks good

[ QUOTE ]
    Bronzefist said:

The game looks pretty good to me form the movies. Maybe the graphics could stand to improve but graphics stopped being the #1 selling point for me after the SNES days.

Vanessa finally got a better costume but I want her originial bra/tights from VF4. I was pissed they took it outta Evo. Also from this VF5 movie it looks like they toned down the muscle on her. Wtf soon she's gonna be a skinny blonde chick w/ big tits :p I always thought the muscle on her actually GAVE the appearance that she could kick ass. Ah well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about character models based on blurry preview footage. I would wait until we get hi-res, clean screens before posting about how much character X's new model totally blows.

2. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Re: Lindbergh

...Or it simply put can be the innovator of the boards / key circuits last name. It's not such an uncommon lastname over here ffs.

I mean, I don't go around relating everybody with the last name Lee to being a general of the South or bad omens cause Bruce died misteriously. That would be just silly. Lets leave this now.

/KiwE

3. ONISTOMPA

ONISTOMPA Well-Known Member

Re: Lindbergh

Game looks great to me, hopefully that girl really does monkey style kung fu. I've been hoping for that style to be in a fighting game for a while. I don't know about another wrestler dude though, seems kinda lame. But he might be fun to play with who knows.

4. FatalRose

FatalRose Well-Known Member

5. Painty_J

Painty_J Well-Known Member

Re: Looks good

[ QUOTE ]
    Bronzefist said:
    Vanessa finally got a better costume but I want her originial bra/tights from VF4. I was pissed they took it outta Evo. Also from this VF5 movie it looks like they toned down the muscle on her. Wtf soon she's gonna be a skinny blonde chick w/ big tits :p I always thought the muscle on her actually GAVE the appearance that she could kick ass. Ah well.

[/ QUOTE ]

well at least now it'll make more sense why she weighs less than all of the other females /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. Jeffahn

Jeffahn Well-Known Member

Nice hi-res pic of Sarah

[​IMG]

This is the pic that was in Famitsu. Odd resolution but Sega are like that.

<>

7. CrewTW

CrewTW Well-Known Member

Re: Nice hi-res pic of Sarah

Nothing odd about it. Thats 1280x720, better known as 720p. Its a native HDTV resolution.

This is also the native resolution of XBOX 360 games and will probably be the most used resolution for the PS3.

Native HD is always 1920x1080, known as 1080i, or 1280x720, known as 720p.

All Lindberg games are 16:9 HDTV games. In Japan, all of the TV's sold today are 16:9, HD capable displays. Japan broadcasts in digital HDTV.

8. Jeffahn

Jeffahn Well-Known Member

Re: Nice hi-res pic of Sarah

[ QUOTE ]
    CrewTW said:

Nothing odd about it. Thats 1280x720, better known as 720p. Its a native HDTV resolution.

This is also the native resolution of XBOX 360 games and will probably be the most used resolution for the PS3.

Native HD is always 1920x1080, known as 1080i, or 1280x720, known as 720p.

All Lindberg games are 16:9 HDTV games. In Japan, all of the TV's sold today are 16:9, HD capable displays. Japan broadcasts in digital HDTV.

[/ QUOTE ]

The properties of the picture say it's 1024 X 614.

<>

9. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Am I like the only one who's freaking excited about VF5???

OH MY GOD that clip is amazing. I don't know what people are smoking if they say the graphics are not a big improvement over VF4... I mean, look at Wolf, his gloves and his hands, all those detail. Look behind him at all the people on different floors moving. Look at the level of detail in the background of Jacky and Vanessa. The graphics are getting so life like. The only thing I would agree with is that Sega really should update the way the characters look. I love Vanessa's new look. Jacky's new hair, Lau's new look, Wolf's new massive look. The lacking characters are Kage, Aoi, Akira, Lion, Lei Fei, Shun, Pai, Jeffry, and Goh. They really should give them a bit more flair to the looks.

Anyways, I'm already planning on going overseas to play this game when it comes out. I'll be graduating soon and it's time for VF... /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif:)

10. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

Ok video. Couple of things I noticed.

The good:

1. Insane facial detail.
    2. Detailed facial animations.
    3. Self shadowing on the character models (most noticable on Wolf).
    4. Incredible lighting - almost real.

The bad:

1. The fucking stages....they're flat....AGAIN! What's particularly frustrating about this is they've clearly resurrected Lion's university stage.....but where's the fucking stairs? Behind that stupid barrier no doubt. *dreams of dynamic combat sweeping up stairs and over slopes destroyed*

11. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

12. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

It's the executive producer talking about his vision for the game.

He is saying that he wants to create the look and feel of watching a Sports event where star competitors compete on TV. Therefore, for VF5, alot of emphasis is placed on making the graphics better in this new installment of VF.

13. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

The lighting and shaders are absolutely top-notch. There was no awkward animation, and there was already more energy than the anemic Evo and FT attract intros. The Vanessa and Jacky appearance tweaks are welcome, though I already miss the former's six-pack, and giving almost all of the male characters angry, tightly knit brows is a bit much. I find it surprising that nobody is surprised to see Lau and, to a lesser degree, Shun still alive and kicking. I know how little backstory counts in VF, but I'd at least expected Sega to follow through on the few threads they took the trouble to put in.

I'm kind of nonplussed that they don't seem to have touched the cloth/hair physics. In Shun's portion, for instance, his new long sideburns clearly segment as they brush his shoulder, and if you scrub through you can see his shirt and sash clip messily through his legs while his pants do that weird bounce deformation that VF4 used for, among other things, implied breast movement against cloth (Pai, Aoi). With DOA4 featuring freeflowing hair and cloth that, while glitchy and also prone to clipping issues, does animate in a much smoother and more realistic fashion as it flows and bunches, I hope this is something that's just a placeholder from VF4 code for the demo until they implement something more advanced. Just throwing more polygons at the same simulation doesn't really cut it; speaking of which, realizing that I can still see individual modeling polygons on the characters here and in most other next-gen games is a bit of a downer, but only because I had ridiculous expectations.

Finally, I hope that the new girl is Korean. They (we?) really are aggressively nationalist, and having a Korean character practicing a Korean art goes a long way with them. Such a move would really boost the game in Seoul's arcades, I think.

14. Coroo

Coroo Well-Known Member

nice report.

15. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Just quickly, I'm wondering if the absence of Yu Suzuki will effect the series?

Even though he hasn't been the real lead on the game since VF2, from what I can tell he's always been the "concept" man behind the game. If the person who's always come up with the new, basic step forward for the series is gone, I'm hoping that the same level of advancement continues: IE back to the drawing board.

"Sports" Fighting was sighted as a reason that the variable terrain stages were removed for VF4... I smell flat stages.

Bryan

16. yoomazir

yoomazir Well-Known Member

"It's the executive producer talking about his vision for the game.

He is saying that he wants to create the look and feel of watching a Sports event where star competitors compete on TV. Therefore, for VF5, alot of emphasis is placed on making the graphics better in this new installment of VF".

hmmmm so,they watching sports combats program like Pride,Hero,Pancrase and K-1?Well,that's better than the Tekken team influences (Baki....).

17. Madin

Madin Well-Known Member

$

I hope they mange to make a fighting game better than Virtua fighter 2/3.
    Well they failed last time around.

18. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

The only thing I would agree with is that Sega really should update the way the characters look. I love Vanessa's new look. Jacky's new hair, Lau's new look, Wolf's new massive look. The lacking characters are Kage, Aoi, Akira, Lion, Lei Fei, Shun, Pai, Jeffry, and Goh. They really should give them a bit more flair to the looks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. All the redesignements in how characters look are great, I would feel like I got the short end of the stick if my character didn't get one. I really wish Jeff could get a bit of redesign, the whole "I'm black and I have no shirt RAAAAAWR!" can only go so far. Jacky is more skinny now and finally thereby sticking with the program of being a striker of his type. He looks kinda SNK like. Shun / Lau got the best uppgrades in terms of looks, they fucked up Lei's eyebrows to make him look more evil, that's fine. Brad looks better somehow, more of a fighter and less of a lover (he still bags all the chicks), Pai looks younger then ever. Putting Wolf next to the new (maybe) wrestler would definatly show that he needed a make over.

I hope we get some real customize items this time around. I want to be able to put on a jacket instead of a gi on Aki and if I dont like that a fucking vest. I'm talking about totally changing tops / downs instead of bunnys and random swords on the back and shit.

2 things strike me right now:

1) I can't wait to see gameplay. There's something special about how characters move right now and I don't think the puzzle will be completed until we see characters interact with eachother. I'm actually thinking right now that will be the biggest Wow of VF5.

2) The clothes, allthough detailed, do not seem to cling / have alot of movement to them (even by Evo standards) - in fact they seem quite ridged (like Akiras gi). Now why is that? Not completely done or a complication / sideeffect of something else?

/KiwE (Hopes Brad now can stancestep Jacky style like he did in the clip).

19. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    KiwE said:
    I totally agree. All the redesignements in how characters look are great, I would feel like I got the short end of the stick if my character didn't get one. I really wish Jeff could get a bit of redesign, the whole "I'm black and I have no shirt RAAAAAWR!" can only go so far. Jacky is more skinny now and finally thereby sticking with the program of being a striker of his type. He looks kinda SNK like.

2 things strike me right now:

2) The clothes, allthough detailed, do not seem to cling / have alot of movement to them (even by Evo standards) - in fact they seem quite ridged (like Akiras gi). Now why is that? Not completely done or a complication / sideeffect of something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my view on the design of the characters so far- they are the 1P outfits, except for Jacky (major difference from before), as he always wore a biker jacket in his 2P outfit. Curious to see what his 2P outfit will be. Honestly, I don't have any problems with having the 1P outfits always carrying over <u>BECAUSE THE 2P OUTFITS ARE THE ONES THAT'S ALWAYS REDESIGNED.</u>

My one wish is that they give the characters a 3rd outfit, or make customization a whole outfit change thing- that would be cool.

BTW, you might wan to watch that video again as far as the clothes animation (clinginess) goes.

One more thing, this is coming from a person who studied art/drawing for quite a bit. The reason the characters look LONGER/SKINNIER is because the head proportion to the body is different. The heads are smaller this time around. True head/body proportions (of normal people) are that bodies are 7 1/2 heads long (including the head). The smaller the head gets, the more "noble" it looks- hence the "special" look of those small headed/long legged runway models.

Here's a link to head/body proportions

In VF5, their heads are smaller, and legs longer. Hence, they now almost have a "fist of the northstar" quality to them
    [​IMG]

20. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

I would apreciate it if they put more options in the item customization by doing the following: adding more places to put on items like head, face, chest, body, legs, feet, back, hands, elbows, and back.

I had items that i really liked to mix up real well, but I couldn't because it was classified as the same body part.