1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF an e-sport cross over game?

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Jan 4, 2019.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Could VF be the cross over Arcade fighter for e-sports?

Most of the viewers who watch e-sport fighting games actually play fighting games of one sort or another. But what fighting game will cross over to appeal to spectators that don't actually play fighting games but like watching a good fight?

Games like Street Fighter, Blaze Blue, Mortal Kombat, SC, Tekken, etc can be confusing to the uninitiated and non gamers. With all of the pyrotechnics and special meters and gauges its hard to know what going on if you don't already know what's going on. But VF is clean, simple and its clear whats taking place during a match and why one fighter has the advantage over the other. None of this rage-art- reverse-edge-magic-last-minute-meter-glowing-presto stuff that can turn the obvious loser into the surprised winner (shocking everyone who is spectating!)

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I think as more and more of the general public tune into e-sports fighting games, the games with the more realism will get the most attention and win out in the end. I could be wrong, its just a hunch. But I'm thinking if VF ever truly gets into the e-sport fray its going to be a major contender. Virtua Fighter is spectator friendly. The other 3D fighters involve too much (insider baseball) for the non gamer. I'm thinking the ultimate winners for 3D fighting game will be.

UFC for sports combat simulation
    VF for 3d arcade fighter

These games can go "reeeeallly" main stream because the uninitiated general public can understand whats going on during a match they are spectator friendly. All the other fighting games that currently are dominating the e-sports scene largely appeal mostly to other gamers. e-sports ultimately want to appeal to the broadest possible audience. I think that means good news for VF in the long run.

Or is this just wishful thinking:cool:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I can understand, why soul calibur is up there, with those games.
    But I would put, Soul Calibur 1 (dreamcast version), in a completely different category.
    Heck, even Soul Blade as well.

masterpo likes this.
  3. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Some people might disagree with that quote.
    But in my case, I agree with you there. Because I'm having a strange suspicion, that as time goes by, what you said there might come true. Moreso for 3d fighting games.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    masterpo and Tricky like this.
  4. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I think at the surface level it isn't particularly viewer friendly. But it definitely could be. The game isn't flashy, and it isn't always clear why something that seems amazing to a VF head is so. I think the cleanness makes it harder to know what's happened and when to get excited. An uninformed viewer understands a combo into a super but a backdash into a whiff punish SPoD might not evoke the same response and I think that's due to visual feedback.

A lot of modern games have features that make things easier for spectators. Combo counters, notifications of counter hits and other types of special hits and the like but VF is so clean that unless you've played it you may not know what's going on and why it's exciting.

Weird thing is, this stuff exists in the game. The training mode makes clear when something is full circular, a counter hit or a punish. It has a frame display that makes it easy to see advantage and disadvantage too, with different colours for when things are guaranteed. Maybe the game just needs a spectator mode or options where you can select what things are visible in a match. That might just annoy people playing the game though. It's a very hard thing to balance.

Ellis likes this.
  5. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I disagree, I think that VF is actually more viewer friendly than most fighters these days, precisely because the 'systems' in the game don't require extra explanation.
    Even in your example of combo into Super vs backdash into attack;

Combo into super requires the viewer to understand the relationship between meter and the super attack, whereas with VF you can visually see Akira stepping back and physically avoiding the attack before counter-attacking with his own strike.

This is before we even get into more obscure things like SFV with V-Triggers and EX moves etc. I think visually VF is a lot easier to follow because it's so grounded in reality by comparison. It doesn't take a lot to explain that evading into a kick means you can't dodge it for example, and the yellow and blue flashes only need be mentioned once and the viewer can easily recognise it and understand it repeatedly.

masterpo likes this.
  6. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    No my friend I'm afraid you're wrong on this one. Think of it this way. The general public can watch a real boxing match or mma match and have some idea who's winning. There are no special meters, or flashy indicators, no explosions, they can generally follow a fight. I'm referring to the general public here. A VF match is inherently a lot easier for the general public to follow than any other 3D fighter basically because its the simplest visually. Its simplicity and no nonsense makes it far more spectator friendly to the uninitiated.

The kind of stuff you're talking about would only make sense to people who play or who already understand fighting games. And trust me these e-sports folks ultimately want to reach not only people who play video games but people who do not play video games but like to watch a good fight. UFC, Fight Night Champion and potentially VF fights could all be enjoyed by the mainstream (non gamer viewing audience). Whereas Tekken and the likes won't make sense to the general public.

beanboy and MadeManG74 like this.