1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF and Fighter Techniques.

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Akira Yukii, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Akira Yukii

Akira Yukii Active Member

Yo'.

One thing I personaly admire most about fighting games is that gamers develope their very own strategies, tactics, combos, moves, whatever. One thing you can never complain about in a fighter, ESPECIALLY Virtua Fighter is the custamization. Gamers actually deploy their own feels and nails to the game.

A fighting gamer's tactics and startegies give the fighter ( sometimes the gamer! ) personality. It's a rare thing to get such pluses in modern video games. So, I want to see some replies concerning YOUR fighting game "persona".

Me? Read my signature. Defensive play, with hard impacts on victims. It works, but it's without a doubt not the ONLY way to play. Get crackin' and be as DETAILED as possible!

Peace.
    -Z'

"In fighting games, it's always better to fight defensively. This allows taking advantage of jump ins with a nice fulfilling uppercut special."

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Many of the top players do possess a fighting style.

I don't know how detailed I can be but Hiro once remarked to me that my offense was strong but that my defense was weaker...I think there are two reasons for this. First, ever since I left Singapore nearly four years ago most of my competition has been the CPU in any fighting game. That naturally fosters an offensive versus defensive type of thinking, and even then, some of that thinking is too tailored against the CPU. The other reason is that my defense in many ways is my offense. That means a lot of stepping in VF3 (too much for my own good probably), wavedashing with the Mishimas in Tekken, and a lot of dashing/b,f K/d,u K with Urien in SFIII.

After my last session in NY, however, I am beginning to pay more attention to my defense and using Adam's Jeffry as a model that I can partially emulate (I would never go to Adam's extreme...not my style).

Also, my playing style could be characterized as risky...I like to go for the big win. As in, I make big bets on my guessing what the opponent is thinking/going to do. I would rather anticipate the attempted throw and K-cancel than go for the safer heelkick...which would stuff attempted throws, crouch dashes, dodging to the wrong side, interrupt certain moves, etc.

Akira Yukii, I noticed you asked for a detailed description, but yours is awfully broad. Come on now, spit it out, what's your fighting personality and how is it expressed.

3. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Strictly defensive play is labeled as "machi" in the VF world, and in most cases doesn't receive a warm welcome from opponents. If both players are machi, talk about a boring fight. Ask about the ACPC :p

kbcat

4. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

I would never go to Adam's extreme...not my style

In light of what meseur (sp?) yukii initially asked, please could you (or anyone else) describe this 'extreme' style :)
    Surely Adam hasn't taken to boring machi play, has he? ;)

5. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

adam has always been machi.

6. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

I see. Well, I guess I was basing my statement on seeing Adam in just a few short clips (where he seemed quite aggressive), so can't really argue with ya. Plus, those clips are very old now.
    Adam: stop being so boring! Machi sucks ;)
    ....joke.

7. Akira Yukii

I've decided to describe my techniques a bit more in detail, since, as someone pointed out on an earlier note that I was blunt and limited. Well, basically, I play your standard defensive fight.

Truthfully, though, I have NEVER resorted to going as low as "turtling", which I'm sure you are all aware of means. I understand some of the comments I've seen regard my style as boring, but NO!

I tweak things up a notch. For instance, in the occurance of two defensive players, SOMEONE has to take action, obviously! In this case, I'm a fan of using VF's 3D arena's for "Crossing up" into a brutal combo to get things shaking.

Basically I DO have and enjoy an attack feel to the gameplay, however I prefer to play defensively. Call it wimpy, but I play to win, not to put on a show. Though a show is always nice, I agree 100%.

Rock on!
    -Z'

"In fighting games, it's always better to fight defensively. This allows taking advantage of jump ins with a nice fulfilling uppercut special."

8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

In this case, I'm a fan of using VF's 3D arena's for "Crossing up" into a brutal combo to get things shaking.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow. Can you explain what you mean by this, exactly? How do you define a crossup in VF? I understand the concept of crossups in 2d fighters, but I'd like to make sure I know what you mean. And what kind of brutal combos do you use? And you do this in a situation where both players are playing defensively?

-Chanchai

9. Akira Yukii

3d fighters aren't much different then 2d fighters, and thus the term cross up can pretty much be defined in the same way.

A friend of mine devised a "3d" crossup which was used by using a rotational button followed by a lightning fast air kick in order to "screw" with the pixels and arrange it so that you're located on the opposing side. However, this I would expect is nulified due to the advancements in 3d gaming pixels. Um. Yea.

However, my previous use of the term crossup was incorrect, after referring to fighting game terms! So replace crossing up with A jump in attack to a combo that begins with a crouch. Appologies!

-Z'

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Thanks. If there was any doubt among the VFDC forumers that you're merely a forum troll and a spammer, you've managed to provide conclusive proof in your last post that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

11. Akira Yukii

Uh. Right. Fuck you too?

"Every gamer developes a FEEL for the fighters they play. It's probably the only non optional aspect."

12. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Akira Yukii, it's painfully obvious to everyone that you have no idea whatsoever regarding fighting games, let alone Virtua Fighter. Your so-called "techniques" are laughable. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's true. Crossups, jumpins and crouch combos in VF? You have no idea how funny and ridiculuous that sounds. Better still, go over and post your strategy of waiting for a jump-in to uppercut at shoryuken.com and see what kind of response you get.

Bottom line dude: you have no idea and you're not kidding anyone.

To make matters worse, you're convinced that you actually do know what you're talking about, your preaching is not appreciated by anyone, and your noise level here has shot through most people's comfort threshold. Do everyone a favour and pipe down a bit.

I sincerely hope you meet up with the Toronto guys at Funland because I guarantee it will be an enlightening and humbling experience.

13. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

adam's theme song... :)

machi? adam? maybe its cause he just <A target="_blank" HREF=http://home.att.net/~allende/vf4movelist/cant_stand_losing.mp3>can't stand losing</A>

/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

[​IMG]

<font color=red>nAndato</font color=red>

14. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Re: adam's theme song... :)

Piccolo, that song is tight!! That's one of my favorite Police songs!!!
    Nice choice../versus/images/icons/cool.gif

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

15. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Hehe...machi? With Jeffry yes - i wholeheartedly agree. With Akira, i am quite agressive at times and_never_as machi as i am with Jeffry. I feel you gotta play the heavies in this fashion to capitalize on their specialty which is throwing. For me, getting the whiff animation is crucial and then just mixing up the numerous throws at Jeffry's disposal. Furthermore, conditioning and switching at key points makes this particular strategy quite effective (for me anyway). Now, this strategy can be employed with any character, but it is *perfect* for the heavies IMO.

[​IMG]

16. Akira Yukii

After the final post subjected by the "boss" I suppose, I was brutally diminshed to a mere scab on
    someone's skin. I was struken by many emotions. Regret. For joining such a clique-ish forum. SOME
    of you have been worth it. Uk_kid. Thanks.

Shock. Myke. You are a forum master. Such offensive posts on YOUR OWN BOARD? adressing me for
    attempting to "fit in" and learn one or two things? I haven't even played VF3. I Was hoping to learn
    more about it. Well. Whatever.

I AM OUT.
    Call me a wimp, I understand that term suits me perfectly.
    Myke.
    You run this thing, so I'm counting on you to
    do your best UNregistering me from this
    blasphemy of an experience.

To all who beared with me.
    Thanks.
    Bye to all.

Don't reply to anything I put up anymore.
    As far as I'm concerned, this forum never
    existed. Lesson learned.
    1st impressions ARE everything. Which sucks.
    Well. Time's money.

Unhappy Farewell,
    -Z'

"Every gamer developes a FEEL for the fighters they play. It's probably the only non optional aspect."

17. Chanchai

I won't go into too much detail..... but, Adam... hehehe, there IS a situation when ANY of your characters will be machi. And as you and I know, it's not when you are seeking the round win/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

On the subject of machi, everyone defines it in their own way (in terms of its scope). To some it might simply be range and defense. To others it includes any use of backdash. Could also be the application of zoning on any level. And I'm guessing the term may also be applied to building layers and layers of defense in your play, even when playing offensively. Adam's use of OS and fuzzy guard is a strong example of having a huge wall of defense.

But for me, it's what I like about Adam (aside from his wonderful personality and devotion to his game and his girl).

-Chanchai

18. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    I think most people think of machi as waiting for the opponent to make a mistake/whiff and then laying the smack down on them. That is a big part of my game with Jeffry, but I am curious about the following statement:

there IS a situation when ANY of your characters will be machi. And as you and I know, it's not when you are seeking the round win.

Can you elaborate on which situation this is? Again, barring the heavies, i really don't think this is an effective way to play a character like Akira (relying *mostly* on the machi definition i mentioned above).

I play as machi as most people (a fair amount) when playing with my main nigga - AKIRA.

[​IMG]

19. Chanchai

Alright.... I'll get sorta detailed...

I'm referring to those moments when you have a two round lead (sometimes a one round lead) and you decide to sit there practicing your blocking and defense skills until you decide to fight all out again (usually final round or when opponent is close to catching up).

I noticed that you did this a lot at NYG2, VG, and E3. We even talked about it online before/versus/images/icons/smile.gif I don't know how many people caught on to this, but I think it's generally obvious when you choose to do this (again, usually when you have a greater than or equal to 2 round point advantage--sometimes one).

Sure, you do give the round, but it looks like it's been a good way to train your reflexes and your notorious fuzzy blocking.

-Chanchai

20. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Oh...hehhe...that situation. Well, when i do this it is purely for building defense and to mentally frustrate them - I dont even retaliate when the opponent misses/whiffs. So, i don't really consider that machi play at all - i'm just having some fun with the opponent. If I just sat there and blocked, waiting for the opponent to whiff and then attacked to capitalize on the whiff/miss, well, then that would defnitely classify as machi IMO. Thanks for clarifying what you meant Chan.

[​IMG]