1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF and Shenmue

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Shadowdean, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I know it would never happen, but Ryu would be an amazing addition to the VF series...or even if some of his moves made it to some of the characters like Lau and Akira. Any thoughts on this?

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

2. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Umm, isn't it Ryo?...you had me thinking of the SF character : P

3. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

speaking of Shenmue

If anybody doesn't have the direct feed E3 clip from dreamcast IGN,GO GET IT.

4. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i don't think ryo would be an amazing addition to VF. he is basically just a hybrid of jacky and akira....and a relatively sluggish one at that.

5. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

The sluggishness is cause Shenmue is not a fighting game..he could easily be tweaked to fit directly into VF...Hell, Vanessa looks like a Sarah/Jeffery hybrid!

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeh, it sounded so to me also.
    Maybe it must be RYO ? not RYU...

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I think Ryo is an interesting character in Shenmue, but I don't know if he would work in Virtua Fighter. He just doesn't seem distinct enough to stand out, and the typically banal storylines associated with fighting games would be fatal to someone like Ryo.

As for Shenmue, there was always a marked VF influence in its action scenes, and it certainly seems to up a couple notches in Shenmue 2. On the flip side, I'm really hoping that the parrying techniques from Shenmue's fights will appear in Virtua Fighter 4.

Daniel Thomas

8. Vicks Biru

Vicks Biru Well-Known Member

Storyline and good characterisation is very important to a fighting game. Just another reason why VF didn't do well compared to the likes of Tekken and Soul Calibur. Soul Calibur especially... with a name that doesn't have old age tagged with it (anything with 'Fighter' seems old) and great characters (many original characters.... where else can you find another Sophitia or Voldo?)

Most fighting games have this formula, which VF follows closely, but not as close as other games. Games compared are VF, KOF, Tekken, SC, SF and DOA2. Examples chosen may not be the best [all out of memory and no reference] but they are there and that matters more.
    VF's ideas have been used in other games
    The Japanese hero - Akira, Kyo, Jin, Kilik, Ryu, Hayabusa
    The Chinese Girl - Pai, Xiangfei, Ling Xiaoyu, Chun Li, Lei Fang
    The American - Jacky, Terry, Paul Phoenix, Rock(Siegfried is better but Rock's the only American), Zack
    The Brainwashed/Undergone Experiment Freak/ assassin - Sarah, Rugal, Nina/Anna, Cammy, Ein
    The Hulk - Jeff/Wolf/Taka, Chang Kohan, Ganryu, Astaroth, Zangief, Bass
    The Ninja - Kage, Mai Shiranui, Yoshimitsu, Guy, Taki, Hayabusa/Ayane/Kasumi/Ein
    The Sage/ Old Man/ Drunken Freak - Lau/Shun, Chin Gentsai, Heihachi, Gen, Edge Master, Gen Fu
    The Young Boy - Lion, Sie Kensou, Jin?, ?, Kilik, Zack
    The Kimono wearing Japanese - Aoi, Kasumi Todo, ?, Hokuto, Mitsurugi, Tengu

...and more. The Chinese young guy... the promiscuous Japanese girl...
    still think that Tsukikage ought to be in the game... only that she might duplicate Kage's moves.

<font color=orange>Imagine losing to this bozo...</font color=orange>

9. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

To be fair most of those idea's were Street Fighters long before Virtua Fighter.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin