1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

vf archive

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Mr. Bungle, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

so i've been working on a little virtua fighter archive. right now i've got almost 400 text documents: faqs, guides, tournament reports, never released faqs, and usenet posts. also look for a brand new tb kage guide by yours truly.

for media i've got dozens of movies and more coming in. i have nearly 1000 images collected - gold disk, high quality CG stuff, animated gifs, and other goodies such as pre-release character designs for vf3. there's also mp3's of all the soundtracks for the vf games - home and arcade (you're sending them, riiiiight, chan?)

it's 425 MB big now and getting bigger. i'm doing this mainly for myself, perhaps to wrap up the years of vf on the web as tidily as possible before all the web pages, images and docs dry up and blow away.
    two things...if anyone has anything _interesting_ to contribute, please let me know. docs, images - high quality CG and scans would be nice if you've got them hoarded away anywhere.
    and just out curiousity...would anyone actually be interested in having a copy of this?

(if so, write me your request on the back of a $20 bill and send it to me and i'll send out a cd-r just for you)

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

yeah man
    I would love a copy!!!!

It helps as a personal collection....n helps me to explain to my friends why this game is so great

<font color=red>SummErs' 'PSO '

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Selling those text docs for money, eh? Ever read any of the disclaimers? If not, please do so.

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

easy there, GLC. I don't believe the primary impetus behind
    this is a cash grab.

GE

5. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

I'm not against this project, I don't even care if he makes a fuckload of money. What I mean is: did he take any trouble to eg. contact the doc authors? Maybe they have something against it? Internet VF faqs are usually free per definition. That's the whole purpose of voluntary work. If someone wants to make money, even a small amount, he should ask the author first! For instance, I don't mind my work being there... but HE SHOULD HAVE ASKED :p

6. Mr. Bungle

christ man. maybe that lame attempt at humor wasn't clear or absurd enough, but do you think anyone is going to write a request on a $20 bill and send it to an address which i never gave?

i know about copyright laws. if i was actually trying to make money on this i'd open myself up to so many potential lawsuits it's not even funny.

would be nice, though, i could use the money.

7. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Actually, I think some of the ppl on this board would actually do something like this. I won't mention any names though it is tempting. Anyway, I'd say that sentence of yours is still an offer, even posted in a form of joke. How should I know your real intentions?

8. GodEater

you can't, baby...you can't. But I caught the
    joke in Mr. Bungle's initial post and I can't
    be the only one.

This is actually the best thing to happen to the
    world of VF. A nearly complete archive of the
    Virtua series! Its very exciting. I hope anyone
    with information pertinent to Rich's request
    steps up to bat.

What you said about the voluntary aspect of the
    FAQ writers is very true, GLC. Which, in my
    opinion, is why there have been so few FAQS
    written for VF3(DC/TB) whereas VF2 had so many.
    That voluntary aspect has slowly diminished to
    the point where people now ask themselves, "what
    is in it for me?" Either that or they bitch and
    chew about how no one deserves the info.

That makes what Rich is doing even more special
    because he's archiving for the sake of archiving,
    not for personal gain. As far as I know this has
    never been done except on inadequate web sites or
    in a purely textual form.

GE

9. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Here's a quote from Rich's post:

> and just out curiousity...would anyone actually be interested in having a copy of this?

So, how would you like to do this? Copy CDs for free? If you there's ANY money, that's a PROFITABLE PURPOSE. Sure, make an archive; post everything to a website; do whatever you want. Except for selling it. That's it - I don't have anything against making the archive.

10. GodEater

aaargh....I'm getting sucked in.

GLC....you just said "How should I know your real intentions?"
    which implies to me that you don't pretend to know what Rich
    is thinking then you go on to make judgements based on what
    you admit you don't know. Interesting?

Anyway, I say make a rebuttal and then we'll play this
    game privately.

GE

11. GodEater

So, how would you like to do this? Copy CDs for free? If you there's ANY money, that's a PROFITABLE PURPOSE. Sure, make an archive; post everything to a website; do whatever you want. Except for selling it.

Most FAQS/guides allow for a nominal charge to cover printing
    and costs of dissemination. Each CD has a cost, each CD mailed
    has a cost...I once emailed a CD to Ice-9 and the grand total
    came to $13.50...getting pretty close to the $20 Rich joked about.

The funny thing about this type of argument is that a lot of
    people get so uptight and rightous about FAQ sanctity and yet rip
    software from large companies like it's no big thing, half read
    magazines in a book store without paying for them, own less
    than legal Saturn or Dreamcast software.

These "grey areas" in our moral make-up are quite funny. Moreso
    because there is no grey, just endless rationalization and
    excuses.

GE

12. Guest

Guest Guest

hmm, just for clarity's sake...

i believe all GLC was saying was that, since he didn't know what Rich was thinking, all he had to go by was what he actually said.

anyway...nice to see a disagreement that didn't de-evolve into a shouting match.

and it sounded like an offer to me too, but he said he wasn't selling it, so no harm, no foul, eh? :)

13. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

> Anyway, I say make a rebuttal and then we'll play this game privately.

Nah... I'll stop before I say something I'd regret. So here goes: Rich, do WHATEVER you want with vf stuff, just keep the docs written by me out of it. They don't matter much anyway. The end.

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    What a fuss.

I know I'm just reiterating what was already said by a post that's no longer here, but I believe a good point was raised. Since you obviously don't have a problem with Gamefaqs hosting documents you've written, I don't see why you'd have a problem with Rich putting the same sort of thing on a CD and charging only for shipping and production costs. Gamefaqs are making money through advertising, money to pay the host network fees - again, not much different to what Rich was suggesting.

I just had a re-read of a disclaimer from your Gamest Combo faq on Gamefaqs, and again, what Rich suggested doing does not in any way go against what was stated in there.

And for what it's worth, I wouldn't mind at all to pay Rich a little extra for all the trouble he's gone through to put together what surely must be the bible of all that is VF. Rich, put me on that list.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

15. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

ME?

Heck, i caught on the joke....u'll have to be blind not to in the first place

ME?

I don't care if I have to pay for costs (disc n mail)
    I want it.

Clearly someone is overeacting here.
    oh btw

Hey myke...long time no cee....how r things?

<font color=red>SummErs' 'PSO '<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SummErs on 1/19/01 05:04 AM.</FONT></P>

16. Mr. Bungle

the issue has been cleared up..

17. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Re: mariuz.....

Hey GLC your polish Skijumper mariuz(forgot name)......is creating some sort of panic among German viewers(Mr Martin schmitt and Co aren't winning anymore)..........newer thought that this kind of sport was popular in poland.....

18. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Hallo mr.Bungle......i personally would be very interested for such a collection............and I wouldn't mind to pay something for the 'work' you did........

is it no problem for you to send this to switzerland.....

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by nascarbryant on 1/19/01 04:14 PM.</FONT></P>