1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF Circuit September Team Battles (Online - PSN and XBL)

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by akai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    WOW this really IS complicated

2. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    If I get it correctly, the issue is that you do not count victories through sets, but through Matchups.
    matchup 1 was Kingo. He won set 1 and 2.
    matchup 2 was Aidan. He won set1 but lose set 2
    matchup 3 was Kahn. He won set 1 and tie set 2.

That means that...
    matchup 1 is win for Scrubs.
    matchup 2 is tie and set 3 will decide which team won this matchup
    matchup 3 is in favoure of Scrubs but FFF can still change it into tie in set 3

so matchups 2 and 3 needs to be played in set3.

If FFF will win both of them, the battle will end in tie (matchup 1 go to Scrubs, matchup 2 will go to FFF, matchup 3 will be tie).
    If FFF will lose one or both of this 2 matchups OR win matchup 2 but tie matchup 3, Scrubs will win the battle.
    If FFF will win both matchups OR win matchup 3 and tie matchup 2, it will be a one big tie.
    Plus Scrubs cant lose now.

So FFF needs to win or tie matchup 2 and win mathcup 3 to not lose.

@akai is this correct?
    Anyway what I do not understand is pairing in set 3 in this case. Can FFF pair using all 3 of their players, or is anyone of them out of the game as much as kingo is? And if yes, who and why?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Ok, I thought the reasoning was made on sets not matchups.
    So this changes all indeed.
    I'm not sure I'll be able to play tonight but wenesday should be okay.

4. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Yes, the main emphasis for the Team Battles is the Matchups. In earlier post: "The way team battle works is that the three "match-ups" is worth a separate amount of points for the team (1 for loss, 2 for tie, 3 for win)." I should have gotten that written into the rules and guidelines earlier...sorry!

Correct. So for matchup 1, Scrubs received 3 points total so far. FFF received 1 point so far.

Correct. Even if a team lost - the points accrued for not losing to badly is important when determining who goes to the "playoffs or championship."

One of the rules: "An individual player can only be substituted or switched out once in a Team Battle."

After Set 1, Team FFF switch all 3 of their players up in their match-ups; thus they are not allowed to change their player order in Set 3. Because of that only nowhere and chibitox is still playing, makilesushi is out.

In Set 2, King of Scrubs Aidan and Kahn Rahn lost or tied against their opponent. Since neither players were substituted or switch, they have the option of doing that. However, Kingo won his match, so he cannot be switch in to fight against Chibitox or Nowhere in Set 3. Does that make sense?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Due to starting this up late in September and it already being in October, the goal of the first team battle is to get it scheduled and played so that we can work out all the kinks! :D

I apologize for all the confusion, but I promise it was not done just for the sake of making things complicated! There actually was some thought put into the format ^_^

6. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Yes, makes sence. Together with the rule that winner stays but loser can be swaped...
    But what about in case of tie? Can players be swaped? And if yes, which team decides about swaping 1st?

7. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Well, since it's our first attempt, the rules ( an unusual format :D) seemed a little confused, but I think we all get it now.
    I guess kahn rahn & aidan can switch their opponent in set 3, right ? even if kahn rahn got a tie against chibitox in set 2 ?

8. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Players that tied can be substituted out or switch to a different "ring" (the term that will be used to replace "matchup") unless they have already been switched or substituted out/in in a previous "set" (which most likely will be replaced with the term "turn").

If both teams have a player that can be swapped, the Away Team always decide first (this was not in the original rules, thanks for asking)

For King of Scrubs against FFF,
    Yes only winners can't be moved to a different "ring." I hope the unusual format :D is not TOO unsual :D

9. pana

pana Well-Known Member

BigStickOwners (Home) vs. KoScrubs (Away)​
    Set 1
    1. Ring 1 - BigStickOwners, Krye (JE) vs. KoScrubs A, Pana (JA) - Results: (0-3 ; 1-3)
    2. Ring 2 - BigStickOwners, 40i4 (EL) vs. KoScrubs A, G0d3L (KA) - Results: (0-3 ; 3-0)
    3. Ring 3 - BigStickOwners, Manjimaru (JA) vs. KoScrubs A, Unicorn (WO) - Results: (0-3 ; 1-3)
    Set 2
    1. Ring 1 - BigStickOwners, Manjimaru (JA) vs. KoScrubs A, Pana (JA) - Results: (0-3 ; 1-3)
    2. Ring 2 - BigStickOwners, 40i4 (EL) vs. KoScrubs A, G0d3L (KA) - Results: (2-3 ; 3-2)
    3. Ring 3 - BigStickOwners, Krye (JE) vs. KoScrubs A, Unicorn (WO) - Results: (3-2 ; 3-2)
    Set 3
    1. Ring 2 - BigStickOwners, 40i4 (EL) vs. KoScrubs A, G0d3L (KA) - Results: (0-3 ; 2-3)
    *Ring 3 - Manjimaru played against Unicorn and won 3-1 ; 3-2 because Krye didn't defend his Ring.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  10. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    Overall good job, my little scrubs ! :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  11. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Not quite how I envisioned it..

The ring whichever its number is: First unicorn beats me, then loses to Krye, then Krye says "fuck this shit", refuses to play the third set and leaves, and I fight in Kryes place to win against Unicorn.

So the ring that you talk about is actually a win for us..

What number of the ring this is - I dont really care.

edit: Why did you ninja-edit your post... my quote ended up being incorrect.. grr..

12. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    That is 3 team battles out of 11 that have been played. Thanks again for trying this out.

For the King of Scrubs vs Big Stick Owners...yeah the idea would be Krye playing one more turn with Unicorn (Turn 3). As I'm not sure what actually happened that led to Krye not playing the third turn..feedback would be appreciated if its related on what works or did not work with the format.

Hopefully the other 8 paired matches will be completed soon so that we can have more people's feedback on what works and what does not work and also move the team battle portion forward.

13. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Krye seemed to be in bad mood yesterday and both xliiv and godel arrived later then expected. Krye just play 2 sets of 2 and then he left, because he did not wish to wait to "play more of this shit".
    At least this is how I understood what happened.

14. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Actually they arrived more or less the time we had agreed on, everyone else just started almost a hour early due to Pana asking we start as early as possible.

The reason why Krye left, is afaik that he didn't know about how many sets he would have to play. I had told him to play two sets. I couldn't answer his questions how many were actually needed since I wasn't even sure myself at that time. When I told him he would have to play a third set, he didn't want to and just left. (He didn't want to play in vf circuit at all, but since 2 of our players I haven't heard since sunday and one said he wasn't going to play, we needed him to)

And as for feedback about the system: playing the third set is completely unneeded, since tie in the over all results is possible.. You can figure out a win a loss or a tie with just 2 sets. Third is unnecessary in all permutations. NORMAL fighting game tournaments do not allow a tie in the overall results, so they opt for best of 3 or best of 5 method.

On the other hand, if the purpose is "to play" to quote Unicorn, then why not just say "play 3 sets" always. Why must it be "maybe 2 maybe 3", for rather arbitrary reasons. Just another example of unneeded complications. VF circuit rules give me a headache with how illogical they are. And thats the reason I have trouble understanding them.

ps. I dont think I will continue this farce either. 99% of the time is spent doing something other than playing VF.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  15. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I must agree with @Manjimaru that there is problem with this team rules. Overall they work well and everything, but we all are in circuit in order to play and to enjoy VF. With how the rules works, you will spend significantly more time waiting for something or someone then playing.
    You need to wait till all sets are done with each round, you need to wait for (or to make) decision abouit swapping, you need to wait till your new (or old, but you never know in advance, so it does not matter) opponent will join you in PM...
    You are spending a lot of time with waiting while you spend only a little bit with playing.
    I think this should be considered as an issue and be solved.

I mean... We really all wish to play. Circuit is AWESOME for this.
    It is sort-of online online simulation of competitive playing. That is great.
    The rules for teams are good and fair. That is also great.
    Problem is that while the rules itself are good, their spirit is killing the very reason why people enter whole Circuit.
    And personally... Yeah. partially during individual events on Sunday and much more on team event yesterday, I was getting bored and I start questioning myself why I am playing this. It took me over an hour to play 6 (!!!) games and I had no time to watch my teammates saved games during this, cause if I will, there will be a high chance I will be hindering 5 other players. The same stands for individual event and watching the replays.

@akai , I know you put a lot of effort into this, but please try to consider this. Maybe less-fair but more-fun rules will work better that this ones. maybe somethign like "play 3 (6. whatever) games with everyone from opposing team during next week and report results" should work fine and be about as fair as this rules are..?

16. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Thanks for the feedback and I already got krye's respone in PM. Got to go to work, so I will make a proper reply later.

Two points:

1. With online, you have plenty of time to play whenever and whoever you want without "wasting time." You don't need Circuit to do that. With any tournaments or organized play their is always time waiting in between play. The Circuit gathers people together to play in a "tournament," but it should be the player's initiative to use the non-tournament portion to their advantage of playing matches or whatever they prefer.

2. One of the hopes with the team battle is to urge people to communicate and work together as a team to make it actually a unique, different experience compare to the individuals stuff. So the rules, while it is more complicated and unusual for a fighting game events, was done so to try to foster the communication and working together as a team. If people want to just play matches, you don't need to put an arbitrary "team" label on it, you can do that whenever you feel like it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  17. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I can see what you are trying to do, but online with its limitations to communication compared to offline just doesn't yield to this complexity. If we spend a hour setting it up, and play for 2 minutes, you can see its nothing short of disastrous experience that just drives people away. Since we have next to no chance to actually COMMUNICATE, then FORCING us to do so is a bad idea. Strategy should be optional, not forced.

18. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    Communicating is not that hard with a mic or even with messages.
    I understand you have fun only when you play, but for some of us communicating with teammates or one's opponents isn't a waste of time; you can take out this aspect and just play, but this seems to me like individual events glued to add points for the team and that's all, not very different from the individual circuit then.

19. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I haven't even played a match in this yet but here's my suggestion (which someone already said). Since it's 3vs3 why not have every one play vs everyone (3 rings).

It doesn't take away the communication breaks if people want to have them but at least there's not a lot of thinking of who's going to get matched vs who and everyone gets to play vs everyone of the opposing team.

Points counted from overall match win totals from both teams. In a situation of a tie either a) have both teams choose a representative for a final BO3 match or go with the one with the most wins maybe (or the ones with the least for something possibly a bit more interesting) OR b) count rounds (and then possibly still go to (a) if itss still a tie). I'd prefer option a out of those suggestions.

Just on a sidenote I thought people realized there's the breaks between matches and one full set is going to take a bit more than an hour or so...

20. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Ok time to give more direct replies:

Unicorn - I think my earlier two points written addressed your points?

Example to explain the logic of above using your team battle as an example:

1. Ring 3, Turn 1 (or Set 1): Manji vs Unicorn - Unicorn wins so he can't switch. Team Big Sticks have option to counter pick for Turn 1. Manji was switched out for Krye.
    2. Ring 3, Turn 2: Krye vs Unicorn - Krye wins so he can't switch. Team Scrubs now have the option to counter pick for Turn 2.

The logic behind the "3rd Set" is to give both teams equal number of chances to counter pick. It also allows teams with more than 3 players the chance to participate in the team battle matches through substitution.

So that is the logic behind it. You may not like it, which is perfectly fine, but that is the logic. If you don't understand the logic...then we can agree to disagree! :p

That is fine. Just don't mix up on issues that is really team-related versus issues actually related to the rules.

No_w_here reply about the communication sums up my thoughts. Everyone here have a VFDC account, so I don't see how it can be that difficult for your team to hop onto shoutbox and talk there (if you don't have mic). Or you set it up through PSN or XBL. I think both have options to instant message or group chat (make a room after your matches).

As for me "forcing" you guys to communicate and to strategize...in the Rules and Guidelines section, bolded if you still can't see it...

I think from the quote that it is pretty clear that "strategy" and "communication" is not forced on you, but is optional? If one team actually wants to communicate and to strategize they have the option. If your team don't want to that is fine also. Take that time to play some matches against your teammates while the other team communicate. "Hey 40i4 and Krye, lets play some room matches while waiting for the other team is ready for the next turn."

===

That was the original plan I had and depending on how things turn out with the remaining Team Battles and feedback, it can be change to that.

The reason I did not chose that format is due to the inclusion of team squads with more than 3 players (the players that don't start makes up the bench). The bench idea was to give teams more flexibility. For example, lets say you have 4 players on your team. Sometimes a player can't play during the week, no problem. You still have the minimum 3 players to participate in the team battle.

If you can schedule a team battle in which all 4 players can make it, how can the 4th player get involved? How would that work for everyone that just plays against everyone format?