1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF Evo 2: Rumour

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by PhoenixDth, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

It's simple marketting logic.

A typical consumer doesn't want to feel like they are buying the same things with only minor facelifts over and over again. You might be able to get some of them to buy a "special edition" or "new and improved" game/movie/book/whatever once more if it seems like it offers a lot more than the original version did (ie. the "extended editions" of the LotR trilogy). However, conventional wisdom says that the drive of Average Joe Consumer to purchase such "revamped" products yet again after already having invested is quite low.

You can already see this in comparing the sales of the original VF4 to Evo in Japan.

Original PS2 VF4: -/+ 600,000 units
    VF4Evo: -/+ 150,000 units

The best example of this happening is with Super Street Fighter II on the SNES - Capcom USA anticipated sales similar to the first 2 ports, and wound up sitting on about a million unsold units due to consumers getting tired of buying what was essentially a yearly-revamped product.

What an XB version would do is not only let AM2 bring the game up to par graphically with the Naomi 2, but introduce the game into a slightly different market that hasn't grown "tired" of it yet. Even if Sega only sold about 50K, they'd probably do similar numbers on the PS2 at this rate. Plus, the XB is very strong in the West, so the numbers there would still generate a good return.

2. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    If there gonna port another to xbox then might aswell port it to GC while there at it and throw in a Lan/Online Mode too. With more training and better A.I

If there gonna port might aswell do it well.

3. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

Announced yet?

I would love a new version of Evo, and I don't care if AM2 is tagged 'the new Capcom' or something. Since demand for VF has been really high (especially in Japan), I don't see how a new version would hurt /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

As for a port, I just bought a new Ceramic White JPN PS2 to replay Evo. But if it comes out for xbox, chances are this will be sold and I will get an xbox instead, with controller converters to use my Horis /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

4. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

HULK KILL. SMASH!

[ QUOTE ]
    At the AOU 2004 Amusement Expo running from today, Sega announced the latest in the VF series, "Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned", developed by Sega-AM2. The game features missions which, when cleared, open up a challenge mode (single player mode). The level of difficulty can be set by the player for these challenges, but regardless of difficulty, only one stage can be played. Also, points will be awarded depending on the Mission Clear results. The enemy AI has been improved to such an extent that it is now difficult to tell whether you are playing a real person or not.

The game introduces a new ranking system, where a "style name" will be given to you depending on the way you fight. When you level-up, your fighting style is checked and your title can change according to the way you have been playing.

All characters have new moves, as well as the traditional moves, and a large number of new items have been added to the game. Existing users of VF4.NET will be able to move over to the new service, retaining their items and other data without problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

All characters have new moves, as well as the traditional moves <----------------- !

I'm officially in a state of pure panic right now and will be until I get all the info possible available to mankind about this new version.

<font color="yellow"> PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANIC I SAY! PANDEMONIUM 2004! </font>

/KiwE (Omfg this sounds like as big of a change as Evo was to vf4!)

5. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

6. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

Re: VF 4 Final Tuned

that Jacky scares me

anyways i think VF Final tuned on Xbox, is nothing more than hopeful thinking. Xbox is pretty synonmous with failure or DOA in japan (not connecting the latter two). When only 2 titles, both of which are DOA, are the only games to break 100,000 units just because of T&A factor, its a sad reality for the xbox. Considering no previous sega exclusives even broke a 100,000 units, from marketing standpoint - bringing VF to the xbox will only hurt VF's image in japan.

VF on xbox -hopeful thinking and thats about it.

7. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Re: HULK KILL. SMASH!

[ QUOTE ]
    Zero-chan said:

JP news from Dengeki

[​IMG]
    ...Aragorn?

[/ QUOTE ]

no stupid the guy from nickelback

man i cant wait lei is gonna get REAMED

8. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

The whiteboy looks like Paul from Tekken. WTF!!! /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif

9. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

ahhh, screw it. Anybody got a quarter? /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

VF4 FT info

Thought I would post something I thought was pretty promising. In a crude translation through Babel fish, I discovered the following:

[ QUOTE ]
    In addition, because you call title for the fan, the fan most in regard to taking over the card data which becomes matter of concern, it is possible to take over of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, my take is that the card system is fixed. Hopefully this is indeed the case. Other tidbits indicated new moves (as already mentioned) but I saw nothing with regards to a new character, so I'm not sure on that aspect. Would be cool, mind you - especially if it was Taka /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif Lastly, it indicated that we should be seeing this sometime in Summer 2004.

Wow - another VF4. I'm already excited. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

11. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

Re: VF4 FT info

I think this is regarding the arcade data actually, so that current players in Japan can transfer their win/loss records and items. At least that's what game-science says in their translation too, and it only makes sense /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

But yes, this is like back when Evo was accounced and we first saw the video of the new moves and stuff. Hehe /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

12. ONISTOMPA

ONISTOMPA Well-Known Member

/versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif WHOA !!! So the rumors turned out to be true afterall ? This is sick news ! I hope it's not japan exclusive, PLEASE let it not be japan exclusive ! Wonder if there's any new fighting styles ?

13. Aeon

Aeon Well-Known Member

Hot damn!

And here i thought it'd be 2006 before we saw more of VF (that wasn't related to the kiddie game).

Yayuh!

14. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Just quickly skimmed through the news article on dengeki, seems like aside from new moves for each character and new items. There will be a new mode called challenge mode in the arcade. From the article it seems to give the example like "win with 5 throws", "win with 3 juggle combos", etc. Also there will be a new feature for player with card data (if I'm translating this correctly) where the cpu will analyze your play and give you an appropriate name that associates with the way you play. There seems to be some sort of level up feature, I'm assuming it's some sort of new ranking system. The last thing is like zero-chan had said, it is very probably players will be able to keep their old data. The new card system is intended to go into operation summer of this year, could that also hint at the release date of Final Tuned?

Also, I took a look at the gamesonline article that gamescience translated. One thing that they messed up on the translation is the moves of the characters. The gamesonline article says that every character will have new moves, and the existing moves will be adjusted. It did not say they will necessarily retain their old moves. It also says afterwards that there will be new fight balancing. So I guess we can expect as big of change from ver C to evo as from evo to final tuned. Can't wait till footages come out!!! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

15. ONISTOMPA

ONISTOMPA Well-Known Member

Lol ''Final Tuned'' sounds corny enough to be something that AM2 would cook up... But for some reason VF4 FT sounds cool.

-Subliminal message of the day : VF4 Fucks Tekken lol... Just kidding Tekken, you know I love you.

16. SlimTYME

SlimTYME Well-Known Member

Hmmm, seems like the old VF2 ranking mode is back! About bloody time. (YEAHHHHHHHH BABBBYY!).

17. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

18. MAXIMUM

MAXIMUM Well-Known Member

I hope AM2 will add some extra stages - Brad and Goh should finally get their own home turfs.

19. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Wow! Jacky thinks a beared's gonna make up for that "Perfect Gay" hat /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Are we gonna see this in the western world is my main concern /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I like the new "play analysis" idea alot. If players can keep their old Evo data in the arcades, I hope the same thing applies to the PS2 version.

Sounds like the A.I. has been improved alot too. /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

We'll just have to wait and see the footage to figure out how dramatic the changes are.