1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF - Feng Shui

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Shidosha, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Shidosha

Shidosha Well-Known Member

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    ok, just an introductory note, we all know what feng shui's popular definition is here...
    well, if you dont:
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">feng shui /ˈfʌŋ ˈʃweɪ/[fuhng shwey]
    the Chinese art or practice of creating harmonious surroundings that enhance the balance of yin and yang, as in arranging furniture or determining the siting of a house.
    [Origin: 1795–1800; < Chin: natural surroundings, lit., wind and water] </div></div>
    well in this case (since it's what i call the tactic) i am using the word to describe overall control of you, your opponent, & the space around you both.

i know theres probably a word for this in the glossary but i cant find it so fork it

Now i'm curious to know how many people actually use this tactic.
    you can discuss your tricks of the trade if you like but im not forcing anyone to post tactics.

but to answer my own question, i find myself doing this alot. for those that have played me they know i don't think twice to throw someone off a stage or into a wall.

one of my tactics is pretty much based off juggles. I don't try to go for the most damage all the time, especially if i know i can move you somewhere and trap you for much more damage or for the victory. (yeesh i wish i had video so i could show my examples)

another one is by being abare (not overly abare, but filling up space when both are at a neutral, that way it looks like i am at advantage and on the offense) what ends up happening is the opponent begins to search for an opening and starts positioning themselves for a proper attack. I like this cuz it gives me the control. what i mean is that i can move myself around while still being abare which will lure em into position and then do something which will "leave me open" and POW! they go for the strike. Sometimes i have to give away damage but its not a serious amount (our life bars reset after the next round, this aint killer instinct) but in return, you lost a massive chunk of your life.
    I find this works best with jeffry.

any thoughts?
    opinions?
    discuss...

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Absolutely 100% agree that your positioning in the ring is a big part of pulling out wins.

On Live I have no issues letting an agressive opponent push me to the edge of the ring only to have themselves setup for a surprise exchange or stumbling trip combo out of the ring. Why do all the work yourself? Work smarter not harder.

Also, Yip you've played me, and as I said in my Pai post, I'm a movement whore. In my recent discussion with Chief Flash on the matches he and I had, we both had a similar theory on movement - in a nutshell, keep your fingers moving, keep your character moving, etc. For me, this translates into more effective stepping and putting myself in a comfortable position within the stage. For Flash, it's keeping the fingers warm while applying some exceptional oki. But the principle is the same.

Keep moving and keep being aware of where you are in the ring are critical success factors, I think.