1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF Global Showdown: International Tournament Announcement

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Blessy, May 1, 2021.

By Blessy on May 1, 2021 at 1:11 PM
  1. Blessy

Blessy Moderator / -10 is just Nitaku Staff Member Content Manager Goh Bronze Supporter Content Manager Aoi Tournament Manager

Hi everyone, apologies this has taken so long to post.

We're finally ready to announce VF Global Showdown, an international tournament taking place during Q4 2022.
    The tournament will feature a top 8 from EU, NA and Japan. I'm going to be organising the qualifiers for EU, @Harpooneer will be organising them for NA and @Tetsuko_Yamada will be organising for Japan.

VF-Global-Showdown-poster.jpg

This post will have all the rules for qualifying alongside clarifying any questions people have about the event.
    The event itself will be crowfunded through Matcherino, as such I'll update this post to include the Matcherino's when they're ready. Those who qualify will be going to an offline final which will take place in Scotland at the end of 2022.

We will try and raise enough money to cover flights for all players, however as we can't guarentee that please be aware that those who qualify may need to pay a portion of their flights.

First off we have the qualifiers:

EU

4 Qualifiers (quarterly)
    Top 8 from each qualifier are assigned points
    Top 8 players with highest points qualify for the international
    Will be run on xbox
    Funds will be raised through matcherino
    Funds will be equally split between top 8 to cover flights
    Any additional money raised will go to other regions

NA

4 Qualifiers with a “last chance qualifier” at the end (5 events total)
    Qualifiers will be run on East Coast and West Coast (see map for split). Counting both sides, there will be 8 qualifiers before the last chance.
    Top 8 from each qualifier are assigned points
    Top 3 from each region qualify for the international
    Players in position 4-8 in each region will be able to play in the last chance qualifier. This event will take place over two days and will be two round robin tournaments including all players from both regions. One day will be hosted on an East Coast favored server, one day on a West Coast favored server. The 2 highest scoring players will get the last two spots in the international.
    Will be run on Parsec with servers in VA, OH, Norcal, and Texas.
    Fundraising will be done through matcherino, and money will be raised to cover flights. Qualifiers will be responsible for their own paperwork (visa, passport, etc.)
    If enough money is raised to cover all flights, additional funds will be used for event support (covering other regions flights, supporting lodgings/food/etc)

The first qualifiers for NA and EU will be taking place during Quarter 3 of 2021.

This post will be updated as and when new information is released regarding the event. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me or Harpooneer.

We have a discord specifically for this event if people would prefer to contact through there: https://discord.gg/xyeqhR7ww4

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2021

Comments

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Blessy, May 1, 2021.

1. Blessy
      Blessy
      UPDATE

We have set up the matcherino's for each region:

EU: https://matcherino.com/tournaments/48763/overview
      Coupon Code: EUVF10

NA: https://matcherino.com/tournaments/48765/overview
      Coupon Code: VFSHOWDOWN

JP: https://matcherino.com/tournaments/43726/overview
      Coupon Code: VFPARSEC2

Each Coupon code will donate $0.50 to the prize pool. These will be used to cover the flights for qualifying players.

All money will be held on Matcherino until we are ready to buy tickets, if for any reason the event has to be cancelled all money will be refunded, so no need to worry!

We're also looking at adding stretch goals to our fundraising, are there any stretch goals people would like to see? E.g. Side Events, exhibition matches
    2. Dreamboat
      Dreamboat
      Any update on this?
    3. akai
      akai
      The last I heard, Global Showdown was delayed to happen after Evo Japan. In addtion to the current economy, Tetsuko (organzing the Japan side) is still looking to get more funding for the Japan side to travel.
      Dreamboat and Blessy like this.
    4. akai
      akai

Shiwa will be one of the Japanese representives at Global Showdown.
      VFhayato and Dreamboat like this.
    5. akai
      akai

Jin is the 2nd representive for Japan at Global Showdown (tentatively planned for December 2023 - post by Tetsuko)
      Dreamboat and Blessy like this.
    6. Blessy
      Blessy
      Hey guys, I have an update for everyone:

So I was planning on releasing a nice statement on the state of GS, but I've been stupidly busy! GS is still going ahead, however we have changed the date to December 2023. There has been so much going on in the background that has caused delays, but I'm more sorry that I haven't communicated this very well. Tetsuko and HimaJean have been doing a massive amount of work on the Japanese side of the event. We have had to cut the number of players from Japan who will attend but we have some great talent flying out. While we have a few players from JP confirmed we’re going to save some of them to announce later.

Myself and Harpooneer are planning on running another qualifier for NA and EU in the coming months, but keep an eye out for some exhibitions too! We have worked with Matcherino to ensure that the funds raised so far have been transferred to new, active pages that myself and Harpooneer are managing.

I just wanna say thanks to both the VF community and all those who have helped us get this far. On top of all the work put in by community members I also want to thank everyone for their insane patience while I deal with all sorts of life stuff in the background.

Global Showdown originally started as a bit of a party rather than a big event. Despite the setbacks of covid and rising costs, we’re looking forward to putting on a great event.
    7. akai
      akai

Third player to represent Japan is Tonchan (Tonkatsu). I believe Global Showdown is tentatively scheduled December 9-10.
    8. Razinoff
      Razinoff
      Is it? haven't heard much regarding a date and as the GS discord is deader than VF itself, maybe @Blessy can chime in. December is pretty close.
      Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
      Blessy likes this.
    9. akai
      akai
      The December 9-10 date was mentioned by Tetsuko Yamada in Twitter. She is the organizer of the Japanese side for Global Showdown and the dates are also written in the description of the YouTube video interview. The way it is written in English "aiming to host" is that it is not 100% set in stone for those days.

But hearing from the Europe and America side should help clarify for those looking forward or planning to attend the event.

10. Blessy
      Blessy

Sorry for not replying earlier.

We had a last minute venue change as our original venue cancelled.

The event is confirmed and going ahead on the 9th and 10th of December. Due to the venue change we will now be holding the event in Liverpool instead of Glasgow.

I've made a twitter announcement here: https://twitter.com/BlessyVF/status/1713592365091266903?t=jGO01TQYpHHNJDBQ88NZTQ&s=19

If you're looking to come as a spectator please let me know as we are limited on space, but I'll do my best to fit everyone in.

The confirmed Japanese players who will be attending are:

Tonkatsu

Jin

Shiwapon

Homestay Akira

I'll be posting confirmed players from the other regions over the following weeks.

Again, thank you to everyone for your patience.
      adamYUKI, Dreamboat and akai like this.
    11. akai
      akai
      4th Player to represent Japan - Homestay Akira. Q+A with Homestay also features Tetsuko's reflection on the state of VF. English subtitle included.

adamYUKI likes this.
    12. Dreamboat
      Dreamboat
      Venue change means I'll be unable to attend, but good luck with it! If there's a stream I'll be sure to tune in.