1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF in Scotland

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Seidon, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    This thread here is more for my sake than anything else because I don't think there are any Scottish VF players besides the ones I already know about.

Basically I thought of trying to run a VF tournament for beginners. The purpose of which is to get people here who don't play VF into the game.

Provided there's enough interest I'll go ahead and cover all the hosting fees and set up some cash prizes. So it will essentialy be a completely free tournament for beginners. The reason I'm limiting it to beginners only is so that everyone will have a fair crack at the prize money and hopefully that will increase the potential player pool.

Up here in Glasgow we were pulling 30-40 people for SSF4 stuff so I'm hoping to target these people specifically (seeing as they essentialy ARE the Fighting game scene in Scotland). Once a year or so ago I offered £100 to anyone who could beat Akira's Dojo Time Trial and it got a good few attempts (Around 30. No one got past double palm btw) so I'm hoping for something similar this time about.

I've just posted this up on Neo Empire(UK fighting game website) and ESC-Games.com(Glasgow based gaming centre, ran all the SF stuff).

As of making this post I have no comments on either site.

If anyone knows anywhere else I should try and advertise this let me know.

I'll keep this thread updated if and when anything happens.

One extra try to boost VF couldn't hurt, could it?

Oh, and I thought of a shit hot name for the tournament "Beginners Try" - Brilliant!

2. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

Seidon, can I partecipate? or is strictly scottish beginners?

3. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Man, if you want to come up you're more than welcome. It won't be for a while yet though.

I'd like to keep it as just beginners but I'll wait and see how many folk I'm getting before I commit to anything.

4. GetSelious

GetSelious Well-Known Member

Seidon Upload some vids of the tourney if you can/get a chance

5. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I plan on it, man.

Got a friend with great recording equipment. Gonna try and save all the replays and then upload them.

In my topic on Neo Empire and ESC forums i say:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prizes would go to the top 3 places.

I'll make a point of getting all the matches recorded and after the VF community critiques your videos the "MVP" (whoever shows the most potential, not neccasarily the winner) of the tournament would get a little something extra.</div></div>

that's my idea as far as the recordings go.

Get to include VFDC a bit as well this way.

6. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Small update.

No date settled but I'm meeting my mate who's gonna help me with this. Probably gonna shoot for February.

Marl y said if I gave him a date he'd try and come up.

Now, would any other VF players be able to come to Glasgow in mid to late february to play some VF?

Ideally I'd still like to do a beginner only tournament at it and more people have been showing interest in that so it's defo still t he plan.

I thought having more actual VF players here would help put some things in perspective for people new to the series and this way there would be plenty of folk about who would be able to help if they had any questions.

If enough VF players express an interest as well this can definitely be expanded to host everyone else. Would like to set this up to happen over the course of a weekend. For insatnce, Saturday would be the 1v1 tourneys for beginners and experienced players. Then Sunday would be free to throw together a team thing.

Anyway, let me know if any of you would be interested. Once I have enough names I can take things to the next step and actually set a date in stone.

7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I'm putting my name down for this. Hopefully, some other more experienced players will join me and we can have some sort of side tournie for us. If not i'd like to be around to help out and do some tutoring anyway.

8. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

Im putting my name down as well. Hopefully we can have a good time and play some VF, thats all I care for.

9. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

My sister lives in scotland, maybe I could tie in a visit and attend this at the same time.

10. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Awesome!

Well, I already have a few names. I'm going to meet my mate Walter on Friday and we're gonna try and set something up.

I'll keep you updated!

11. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    I posted over at Neo, but yeah I'd like to attend to show my support and get beaten by newbies, I'll let you know if/when I can.

[​IMG]

12. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    gonna put asmall list here of people.

If the name is red it means they are a maybe.

Beginners:
    Crème brûlée[/size]
    smezel[/size]
    Infy
    SamuraiPizzaKen
    BigFool
    bigdaddy
    Steebs
    Dev

VF players:
    Seidon
    MarlyJay
    MonkeyPunch[/size]
    Matteo
    Boris[/size]
    Jide[/size]

14 all in so far. Still not advertised it properly and theres a bunch more people I need to ask.

13. RORY

RORY Well-Known Member

XBL:
    RORORORORORO
    What's the easiest way to get to Scotland lol

Ill see if I can come too, depending on when it is.

14. ultralewis

ultralewis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    InfamousGeezer
    XBL:
    Infamous Geezer
    I'll go

15. Seidon

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Easiest way is probably by train, Rory. You should ask Marly how he's getting up. I should have a date and location for this weekend.

Nice one, Lewis!

16. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Yea Train. singles to and from euston should be about £15 each so around £30 total i'm hoping. Earlier it's booked the cheaper it'll be. I'll investigate prices and stuff when we have a date and post up results.

17. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Just had a quick look. Seeing tickets for £17.50 each way. prices gone up a bit. still, for a 4 and a half our journey it's not bad. you can book tickets from 12 weeks in advance.

18. AnimalStaccato

Marly where are you getting £30 from? I googled Inverness (where my sister lives) to Glasgow and am getting prices of around £50 for a return.

And London is way further away from Glasgow than Inverness.

19. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Then you just ain't got the skillz [​IMG]

Nah, you got to remember if you book 12 weeks in advance its a lot cheaper. Check what the price would be in January. That's more indictive.

And the prices were from the virgin site.

20. AnimalStaccato

OK £20 from Inverness to Glasgow return, that's a bit better.