1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF IQ: LEGENDS MADE ABOVE SHOULDERS

Discussion in 'General' started by CobiyukiOS, May 18, 2009.

1. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

Just who is better, Itazan or SHU? Why did Koedo win Katoku Shinseki 5 in a whitewash? Is Kyasao as good as he used to be? Is BunbunMaru better off with Jean? Where’s VF5R on console, Sega? The most intriguing of questions of the lot are these: what makes these guys the best of the best? Why are they the ones we love, or love to hate?

Most people have theories of what makes a champion, some say some are born with talent, despite VF being born after the champions. Others say it is hard work, Sometimes a mix of these. But the buzz term being used right now is “decision making”, it is this “VF IQ” that many think separates a champion from a good player.

I can tell you how VF is an invasive sport, but that’s another story. He breaks these down to five main areas.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>READING THE PLAY</span>
    Nothing tells you read your opponent’s play better than doing a successful sabaki / reversal. The opponent must have asked: “Why did he sabaki me? Why did I do the same move again?” But the question should be “How did the player know the opponent’s move was going to happen before anyone else?” The best players pick up movements up the ground and around him a split second before anyone else. Occasionally they get it wrong and do the wrong strategy, but 9 times out of ten he moves first and finds the best position. This allows for consistent damage.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>POSITIONING</span>
    Of the way that the player is positioned in relation to the other player, and the stage, is aware of what is around them and when possible find space to move. Without this extraordinary spatial awareness, they would get knocked down more than they did. I don’t know this for sure, but I imagine that during the continuous lead time VF5R is not released into consoles, those very lucky Japanese and Reno are dodging each other, making combos, and just being immersed in the arcades as they were beginners, allowing them to see and feel space and positions before we know they are there.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>TIMING</span>
    Timing is everything in Virtua Fighter. You need to be in a correct position to attack when needed. When the opponent takes the high risk, and fails, it is the players chance to capitalize on it. They do guaranteed throws and hits. Some do the wrong move with more frames, so the opponent recovers. Some underestimate their advantage, for example, Lion CH/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and doing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif when /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif was perfectly ripe for the taking. They judge their movements to perfection. This allows them to move into the play when the greatest advantage will occur.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>COMMUNICATION</span>
    It is the ability to communicate through physical, verbal, visual and aural, that makes them the game’s smartest and most damaging players. They sum things up in an instant and are able to communicate what is required to us almost as quickly, communicating to the fellow players what to do and when they should do it, through signals and cues, may be overlooked. If you can imagine what the world would be without Mike Abdow, you’ll see why this is so important. When he got the book, he knew what to do and so did we, because he published it for free. This meant every news post was valuable as it put us into the events and into a better position before he went there. One of Myke’s strengths was making countless players, including me, better.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>TACTICAL KNOWLEDGE</span>
    To have greatness in this category, you need to have a great awareness of your own strengths, but also knowledge of the opposition. The game can also change on the moment, opponent, and stage, and music. On opponents and stages alone, on the best 3 out of 5 rounds, out of VF5R, there are about 1900 ways to play the game in theory, out of 19 characters, 20 stages and BGMs and 5 rounds. I know some stages are the same, but red and blue can have different effects on you. It does. In VF5R, you can have alternate music playing. And that’s before counting the skill level of the opponent and the time on the clock.

Next time you’re playing each other, which might be SoCal, look at who you think are the real decision makers, and take a good long look at yourself.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>From, Cobiyuki 大玉三四郎.</span>

2. The_Shunjinkogh

The_Shunjinkogh Well-Known Member

Dang.... I need to change my IQ up another 100 points. This game is like chess to me. I'll try harder to study my opponent so can reverse and make him look stupid....:p

3. Shidosha

Shidosha Well-Known Member

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    VERY interesting theories in here, i especially like the concept behind the BGM which i feel personally is something thats been taken for granted. I usually turn off the game music and turn on my own soundtrack as i play. which is probably why i play better in my own home than for example, at geralds house haha.
    maybe this will help me adjust my playstyle more

4. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

I agree about the music thing. I think having a track that you like playing in the background helps you get into the fight more, whereas one that grates on you will hinder you.

That's why every fight in R when it comes out will be fought on Sarah's stage.

5. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

The snow stage? that music is great.

about the original topic, I am sure that people who understand the system better win against the people who have more dexterity (unlike say 2D games where you can do 100+ hit combos and close the match in second)

6. Ash_Kaiser

Wolf's stage will also be acceptable. Actually, most stages in R have awesome music.

Except Lion's. His is wank. His 2, 3 and 4 themes are all much better.

7. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Nice read. However, can someone explain to me what are "invasive sports"?

8. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    I think he might have meant evasive sports?

9. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

BGM is everything in a fight. It can help you find your rhythm.
    I already can tell Wolf's theme will be my favorite (Unless those oldschool backgrounds can become available in options.)
    Everybody as different reasons for what makes them focus more.

As far as who is better Itazan or SHU?
    all i can say is whoever makes the right guesses wins.
    Both really gets it in.

10. Ash_Kaiser

Akai posted the complete list of music available here. Every stage has at least one good track.

11. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Oh shit Thanks Dude i did'nt catch this.

Please R Get up and bring your pretty ass stateside to us.