1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF.net question

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Yupa, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

What happens when someone with a card already in the game gets challenged by an opponent without a card? Does the carded player get any credit for the win or defeat?

2. geese

geese Member

Yes, as far as I can remember the result is recorded on your card whether your opponent has a card or not. When two players with cards face off you get this really cool banner flashing up before the fight saying "The Title Match". Definitely adds to the competitive feel of the game.

3. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

Can you view the ranking on the web ?

Got the address ??

4. geese

geese Member

Now that I'm not too sure about. This one arcade in Japan had a huge sheet up on the wall showing some kind rankings list, so it must be available somewhere. Maybe the VF.Net disc with Shen Mue 2?

To be honest, VF.Net is still something of a mystery to me. From the impression I get you can only register through a mobile phone, which is pretty slack if you don't have one in Japan./versus/images/icons/frown.gif After beating certain opponents you get a little present icon appear in the bottom corner of the screen. From flicking through the red book, I'd guess it might have something to do with them sending move lists to your phone or maybe accessorising your character (shades, bandannas, face masks etc.)

Most of the above is just educated guessing and not to be taken as fact. (My Japanese reading skills are not quite there yet)

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

This is sort of shooting in the dark, as I'm not too sure, but maybe I can start it off and someone can correct my mistakes.

At first you did have to have a mobile phone to be able to access VF.net, and not just any phone but i-Mode phones (an extremely popular wireless network in Japan). With Shenmue 2, Sega released a CD (VF.net? VF.net passport?) which you can alternatively use with a Dreamcast to access VF.net.

Still, it seems kind of strange that Sega wouldn't allow for data to be compiled online through the web. I'm probably missing something here.

6. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Still, it seems kind of strange that Sega wouldn't allow for data to be compiled online through the web. I'm probably missing something here

You would think Sega would at least throw up a top 10 or 20 list at their official site. It would be cool to chk in on the list now and then to see how the VF heavies are fairing on a daily bases. If any of our Japanese readers have the ability, please start a thread with a list of the current top 5 or 10 off VF.net and update it every week or so.

...hoping that the different character display oppositions won't get entirely scrapped by Sega of America... they're already in the game-- just the right code off the VF.net card network is needed to access them from the descriptions we've read so far. Maybe it will be some kind of time release system... <hoping>

7. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    You've got it right, Jeff. You need a DoCoMo phone with i-mode, which is absically a baby web for DoCoMo users only. Then, to get to VF.net, you have to go to the "games" sites menu, then the Sega site (you can't go through a web browser).

The presents are items, which can be turned on/off through VF.net, and are 1/2P specific. But, when I got my blue bunny on Akira's shoulder, it just appeared on my 1P, and I didn't have to turn it on...

Fights with non-card users still carry all the functions for the card-using player, even the Title Matches. Title Matches happen when one of the card users is going up in rank, or being forced to protect his/her rank from falling due to several losses. This is really cool, and it makes things hot, as you can feel that you want to go up, or you don't want another guy to go up by beating you.."I'm not letting you rank up!" heh, heh.

Is that Yupasawa? I played in the small tournament in Connecticut where you beat Hiro's Kage in the final. RGVA guys coming out of the woodwork.

Spotlite

8. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Do you know the exact number of "presents" which you attach to characters? If so, could you please list them?

Adio.

9. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    I have no idea how many items can be attached at once, but I've seen 2 at the same time.

Spotlite

10. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Actually, I just noticed in that Lau vs Aki clip that Lau is wearing 4 items:

hat
    shin guards
    shoulder guards
    (?) some kind of handcuffs/bracelets

spotlite

11. dickson

dickson Active Member

all characters have 10 different new items to download ... you can find those from the new Softbank VF4 mook ... they ranges from hat, sunglasses, necklace, to animal toy to be worn at the back of the characters or on the shoulders ... also, there are more costumes to choose from for different rankings ...

12. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

hey! i was at the rumble in trumbull, too. i was one of the stunningly mediocre kage players. that and other trips, mainly to umass with yupa and mason et al, set me right. and quickly, too...

*severe flashbacks* heh, i always thought that the japanese guy from nyc might have been hiro...so long ago, such fuzzy memories. i remember playing vf1 with him, bodycheck-KO'ing him with akira, and trying to get the other vf2 players to play a bout or two of vf1, to no avail.

fuck, i wish EVIL SPACE MAGGOT would fit in the username field, i fucking hate Mr. Bungle.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

13. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Actually, there were three Japanese guys at that tournament with me, Hiro (who is technically Korean, though he grew up in Japan) Ito, and Tetsuya, my friend I just visited in Tokyo. I'm not sure who you played with, but Hiro is of average height/build (although I heard he's all buff now), Ito is tall (probaly 6'2 or 3) and Tets is a little shorter than me, about 5'9" I'd guess.

I lost to Mason, then Hiro after beating some local guy, and one guy who worked there that played to fill in a gap in the roster.

I remember people were clapping and cheering when some local did ST, SJK, Yoho "Yeahhh!! I got it!!"

Spotlite

14. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

yes i know about the others being at trumbull, but i know hiro; i've met hiro at other, more recent gatherings. that's where the sense of having met him at trumbull came from.

plucked it from the archive and posted the report here:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://home.earthlink.net/~foops/vf2_tour_trumbull_5_96.txt>http://home.earthlink.net/~foops/vf2_tour_trumbull_5_96.txt</A>

for those that couldn't know, choong = hiro.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

15. Tot

Tot Active Member

There is no actual numbers for items since Sega adds items sometimes. Also, it is not the number how many items you
    are able to wear. For an examples, Lion has several hats then
    you decide which hat you wear.
    Part of body that you can put the items on, depends on the
    charactors.
    If you keep loosing, you get a blue bunny for Kage and Akira.
    You can take it off if you have an I-mode however, if you keep
    winning, it will disappear automatically.

16. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

17. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Is that Yupasawa?

Yep, it's me, and I'm pretty sure I remember who you are even though we probably only fought that one game.

I played in the small tournament in Connecticut where you beat Hiro's Kage in the final. RGVA guys coming out of the woodwork.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw Alan Tan's name crop up. Now all we need is Colin Leong, Mason, Bigcat, and Darcy Brockbank back and posting here... =)

Re: Trumble

Shun-puri Sarah vs. Kage's rolling attack... I remember getting beat by Hiro in the warm ups before the tourney but then reversing my flow chart in the final to defeat him... damn those were intense matches. Unfortunately, Colin Leong didn't fall for the same tricks when we battled on VF2.1 in Toronto. Hopefully the flamingo stance will offer new options to be creative with Sarah again. There's at least a bunch of new attacks & throws to learn.

Spot, I've been catching up on this board and reading your reports from Japan was what prompted me to start this thread. Thank you for relating your experiences here.

18. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

hey! i was at the rumble in trumbull, too. i was one of the stunningly mediocre kage players. that and other trips, mainly to umass with yupa and mason et al, set me right. and quickly, too...

Lack of competition in Syracuse... but you could kick CPU butt! ;)

fuck, i wish EVIL SPACE MAGGOT would fit in the username field, i fucking hate Mr. Bungle.

I thought Bungle-san was a kinder, gentler version of the MAGGOT... heh :)

19. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Did Ito continue playing VF3 in NYC. I think I might have played him again when I visited the Times Square arcade to meet up with Adam and Andy... erm CrewNYC?

20. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Is that bunny on your shoulder suppose to scare me??? =)

So who's the first one to sign up for this board with the knickname Bunny Kage? ;)

Stop steaming up my tail! What are you trying to do, wrinkle it? Hee!

I'd probably end up losing against Bunny Akira because I'd be laughing too hard...