1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF Sales Numbers

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ice-9, May 24, 2006.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Cumulative sales at the retail level and in the U.S. only:

- VF1 (32X): $4.7 MM (???)
    - VF1 Remix (Saturn): $37 K (???)
    - VF2 (Saturn): $10.6 MM
    - VF Kids (Saturn): $0.9 MM
    - VF3tb (Dreamcast): $3.8 MM
    - VF4 (PS2): $23.0 MM
    - VF4: Evo (PS2): $4.7 MM

I think NPD might have mixed up the VF1 Remix number with the VF1 32X number, but the others look OK. As you can see, VF4 on the PS2 by far did the best and VF4 Evo did pretty well considering it must've been easy to port Evo.

And finally....

- Virtua Quest (PS2): $0.2 MM. At least it made Myke happy /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Huh MM ??

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

MM = million

4. Jide

PSN:
    Blatant
    So NPD is saying Virtua Fighter 4 on PS2 sold 23 million ???

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

<<----- See avatar

6. sixtwo

sixtwo Well-Known Member

Re: Comparisons

I only have data going as far back as the Dreamcast, but I thought people might be interested in the actual unit sales as well:

- VF3tb (Dreamcast): 96,482
    - VF4 (PS2): 625,121
    - VF4: Evo (PS2): 281,601

And for perspective, I'd thought I'd offer the numbers for some of VF's contemporaries.

- Soul Calibur (DC): 573,746 ($23,643,940)
    - Tekken 4 (PS2): 1,247,059 ($42,870,180)
    - Dragon Ball Z: Budokai (PS2/GC): 2,196,298 ($80,542,310)

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

The 32X numbers are weird... But I don't think Virtua Fighter Remix sold all that well for the Saturn in the US. Initially, VF came with the Saturn before Remix came with it. Remix was on very limited distribution if I recall (I would have bought it right away if it was in stores, but I didn't get it until I picked up a used copy long after I had VF Kids). Also, once VF2 came out, I doubt Remix got many sales.

Dangit... so tempted to bring out the old Saturn and play some Saturn VF2 now (I think all the VF2 cabinets in my area are broken).

Regarding Evo sales, it was sold for less than half the price of VF4 (I'm assuming the numbers are retailer numbers?) and since it was packaged as a greatest hits title, it made the game a must-buy, but many people who had VF4 probably thought they had Evo already :p

8. Jide

PSN:
    Blatant

Sixtwo is that us Numbers only ?
    I thought VF4 was supposed to have outsold Tekken 4

9. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Hey Chanchai,

[ QUOTE ]
    But I don't think Virtua Fighter Remix sold all that well for the Saturn in the US

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, remix didn't really have any numbers really since it wasn't really intended for resale.

10. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    sixtwo said:

I only have data going as far back as the Dreamcast, but I thought people might be interested in the actual unit sales as well:

And for perspective, I'd thought I'd offer the numbers for some of VF's contemporaries.

[/ QUOTE ]

are these sales number in the US only, or worldwide???

11. sixtwo

sixtwo Well-Known Member

North America only.

12. powerincarnate

powerincarnate Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:

[ QUOTE ]
    sixtwo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

are these sales number in the US only, or worldwide???

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, the world of Business. Name branding is so huge in business. Tekken 4, considered one of the worst offering in the series sold 1.2 million.

A poor DBZ game sold 2.1 million. And while Mortal Kombat's number again't up, I know that between the consoles each of their past two releases have very easily crossed the million mark.

I hope that there could be a very intelligent discussion about this phenomenon but I'm afraid it will turn into a bashing of one game vs. another. AND it's usually not a good idea to bring it up on the board of it's competitor. People recently keep complaining that Madden have essentially became expansion packs for the past 2-3 years, but if you were a businiess, and you could sell a game EVERY YEAR and still sell 5 million copies, then why Waste Tons of money on man hours and production cost to upgrade when you can put a fresh coat of paint and repeat. In a fighting game world, it tranlate to, Why would MK or DBZ games significantly change if what they are doing is working. No company wants a blockbuster Flop that wins the Best Picture, they would much rather take Spiderman and it's near billion dollar per picture sales in worldwide box office but doesn't win best picture than the otherway around. Maybe Sega needs to get their brand out there more. Everyone knows Sub-Zero and Goku, but how many people knows Kage or Akira (anime maybe, a more significant development towards the storyline and cutscenes maybe, Something to get it's name out there beyond the already established hardcore players).

13. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    then why Waste Tons of money on man hours and production cost to upgrade when you can put a fresh coat of paint and repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

This a terrible business model, and your competitors will eventually exploit you. Complacency is never a good thing because in order to stay on top one must continue to be innovative and fresh. (also it's really a shitty way to disrespect your customers.)

Unfortunately EA has become a monopolizing giant in the sports arena which is what I attribute most of their success to nowadays.

I also want to add that although we don't care much for MK for example, that doesn't mean Midway doesn't bust their ass to produce new features for their new installments. The recent MKs have been rich with content.

14. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Jerky said:

This a terrible business model, and your competitors will eventually exploit you. Complacency is never a good thing because in order to stay on top one must continue to be innovative and fresh. (also it's really a shitty way to disrespect your customers.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only a terrible business model if the consumers are intelligent and well informed people. Unfortunately, at least at the time of this writing, the majority of gamers (even consumers in general) are the exact opposite, so building on the brand is actually the most powerful business model.

So really, innovation and change is not necessarily a good thing in the eyes of many many people. There are tons of people who can't be bothered to always adapt and learn new things, especially for a game.

15. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

[ QUOTE ]
    powerincarnate said:

People recently keep complaining that Madden have essentially became expansion packs for the past 2-3 years, but if you were a businiess, and you could sell a game EVERY YEAR and still sell 5 million copies, then why Waste Tons of money on man hours and production cost to upgrade when you can put a fresh coat of paint and repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

It eventually spells death. Look at GM (the car company). Derivitave crap. Always trying to please investors with short term gains. Too bad. The biggest car company in the world has only one model of one car that I like - Corvette Z06 (and they probably lose money on every one).

Here's to EA going broke from their greed and complaceny.

16. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

For that to happen here's to more intelligent , well informed gamers /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif