1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF: Spiritual Experience

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Nolte, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Nolte

Nolte Well-Known Member

2. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

Hahaha ... =) Being in the VF Zone =P

They should have gotten someone from Japan for the article..

3. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

He is or at least was 1 of the top VF players in the UK and does occasionally post here.

4. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

oh cool, my bad... =) it is BBC after all! Got to go local.

5. Mankey

Mankey Active Member

This is something I have been studying myself. Here are some of my ever-changeing thoughts on "a hightened sense of awareness."

The basic science behind it is the 2 sides of your brain. Your left side does linear, mathematical calculations; your right side does spatial relationships, conceptions and hypothesis. However, your brain waves may only flow between these 2 quadrants 1 way at a time. As in, your left brain is leading your right brain or your right brain is leading your left brain.
    They mentioned Buddhist monks, that would be the oldest study of this hightened awareness.
    It is also known as Tao, and strives to balance Yin/Yang. Yin / Yang meaning their absolute cooperation, not their opposition. One would not be significant were it not for the other. The white/black dots inside the waves in the Yin/Yang symbolize this.

The way I am studying this specifically, besides reading books on Zen & Taoism, is through the drawing book "Drawing on the Right side of the Brain" which explains how drawing is a right-side-of-the-brain activity.
    2 oriental masters strived for this level of awareness. I'm sure you've heard of both. Miyamoto Musashi accomplished this through swordsmanship and later through painting and other fine arts. Bruce Lee studied this philosophy and experienced it through martial arts. It is the ground work for Jeet Kune Do. Here is one of his quotes on Jeet Kune Do:

"Not being tense but ready. Not thinking but not dreaming. Not being set but flexible. Liberation from the uneasy sense of confinement. It is being wholly and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever my come."

I noticed video games were definately an exercise of your right brain when playing,yep, a fighting game - Street Fighter. You judge your opponents jumps and your range of low kick, etc. This is absolutely obvious when playing Virtua Fighter. As you measure your attack range, when to cancel your dash, when there is an opening, etc.

"Beginner's Luck", I believe is an example of being "in the zone." Your mind is free to do the task and not asking anything. Then if you try again, you hesitate, think how you did it last time and try to copy your movement. You now aren't truly aiming on your goal but on repeating yourself. Your left brain makes it hard not to do this.
    Also animals are evidence of this wisdom. Such as how a cat does not contemplate how it will jump, it just jumps and usually lands on it's feet. Though they have much less activity flowing through their brains. Humans have an excess of left-brain flow to survive in this "technical era." We are taught almost all left-brain activities in school to accomodate this. I believe sometimes we are confused by to much mathematical thoughts and forget what is truly important.
    My main question is whether this hightened sense of awareness is your right-brain leading your left brain or both brains coinciding with each other like a vortice.
    It is very interesting and deserves much more study..

Editing: Spelling Errors

6. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

what

vf is just mashing. whoever mashes faster = does more damage = wins.

alpha waves = coincidence