1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF terms mega thread

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Pai_Garu, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Minor combo vs MC combo (in VF4E times) where different ones for Sarah's P,K jgl starter. It juggles on both minor and mayor countr hit, but on MC it juggles more high (it means you can connect FC,f+K,K only on MC, on minor you must go for another, not so powerful combo). But I cannot remember any other move which works like this...

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I think the difference between minor counter launchers and normal hit launchers is a slight damage adjustment. I think minor counter = more damage than normal hit.

Unicorn is correct that a major counter launcher may float higher than a normal hit launcher. I do not think minor counter launchers float higher than normal hit launchers.

I have also heard that some moves launch only on MC (Major counter) and mC (Minor counter) and do not launch on normal hit.

3. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    AFAIK you are correct for all other launchers than that Sarah's K,P (VF4Evo)

4. kingpinn07

kingpinn07 New Member

I'm new to virtua fighter with VF5. Can anyone tell me when a counter hit happens and how I can tell it happens?

5. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Counter hit is situation when you hit opponent in the moment he is going to hit you. It means you hit him during animation of his attack - like in the moment his leg starts moving forward etc.

Counter hit you can recognize easily - by watching the light effect of hit. White color means normal hit, other colors are different counterhits (comonly you will see yellow, but fe blue from side counter...)

6. Tiamat

Tiamat Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that Abare was the ability to deal damage off of various "random" attacks. Meaning characters that can land good damage off of many easily landable moves would have good Abare and characters who can only get good damage by landing hits with situational moves or requiring special setups would have bad abare.

7. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

The term Abare applies to players and characters, there is a bit of a difference in the meaning between the two.

When concerning players it means a person who prefers to attack from a disadvantaged situation. This usually goes hand in hand with very aggressive playstyle and constant "in your face" exchanges (as well as a hefty bit of counter hits, I'd imagine).

When concerning characters an Abare character is defined by loads of fast moves who prefererably have little disadvantage on block, allowing you to spam along quick moves to high heaven.

Also, buttonmashing is an extreme form of abare since you take nothing in account at all and just keep attacking.

8. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    I'll have to disagree and say that buttonmashing is the Lowest form of abare, because there is not real thought and strategy involved, and even if there is, it's minimal.

Ohsu Akira and Chibita both have Abare play styles, as do a few of my comrades down here. Abare is a legit style of play... albeit VERY frustrating /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

9. Pancho

Pancho Member

What does DE mean?

10. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

Hhhmmm, when I said ultimate I wasn't aiming for the 'best' meaning... More the 'extreme' meaning, let's edit that one.

11. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

DE = dashing elbow (Akira/Jeffry f,f+P). See also SDE - super dashing elbow (Akira f,f,f+P)

12. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

I've seen it used like this over on the Dustloop forums for guilty gear. I think it's just worth accepting that the usage is quite different between the two games. There was a reasonable discussion of abare back in the link I posted earlier too.

13. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Also, is there an accepted shorthand for 0 frame throw? Whenever I use tsukami it tends to confuse people.

14. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Jeff's f,f+P is not DE, simply because it is not elbow attack but normal fist attack /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

15. ZSS

ZSS Well-Known Member

Dude. Refer to Jeffry's command list for f,f+P name and class. Preferably before posting.

16. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    To distinguish between the two types: 0f throw or normal throw.

In general, if a throw isn't qualified as 0f, then one can assume it's the normal type with 12 frames of execution, aka, tsukami throw.

17. RaidenNC

RaidenNC Member

I agree. I'm new to this game and even though I have no problem pronouncing japanese words, since I don't speak the language memorizing the terms will be way harder. I appreciate this thread though.

18. DancingFighterG

DancingFighterG Well-Known Member

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. I was looking at Brad's move list and there is a category that is on the movelist called Act. What is Act? Too clarify it one of the actions that you can sort the movelist by.

19. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Act = Active

It's the number of active frames that an attack has, during which a hit can be detected.

It's further explained here in the wiki:
    VF5 System : Attack Mechanics

20. DancingFighterG

DancingFighterG Well-Known Member

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. So pretty much since P+K has an active frame of 6 it's good because the effect of the elbow last to counter quick hits but because the active is so long the move leaves itself open to reversals and stuff. Is that a correct thought process?