1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF vs. DOA

Discussion in 'General' started by alexandrefogo, Jan 27, 2002.

1. alexandrefogo

alexandrefogo New Member

Guys, I ain't played VF4 yet since I live in Brazil. Not the jungle you see on tv. Actually a richly developed country, however having humongous taxes on imports such as amazing fighting Videogames. Having not played it yet, I wish you gentle people from abroad could tell me if VF4 beats DOA series in the hit-counterhit fast paced jackie-chan style combo methods or is it the same "I punch your face, you punch mine rpg melee" as always? thankful for your attention. Best wishes for you all. Hail SEGA!!!

2. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "I punch your face, you punch mind RPG melee" (unless you think previous versions of VF were turn based =] ) but there's basically there is no comparison betwen VF4 and DOA3 (which more or less equals DOA2 in the gameplay dept.).

VF4 has expanded that already-nice VF4 reversal system, and characters like Aoi, Akira and Pai have a multitude of cool-looking reversals and inashis (reversals that do no damage, but set up a situation advantageous to the reverser). VF reversals are a nicely balanced risk vs. reward proposition that reward *smart* players.

Oh god, there's been many threads comparing VF and DOA so I can't really be bothered going into it again. Suffice to say VF owns DOA in any area that matters. Don't waste your time on DOA.

grib.

3. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

to me the only good doa was the arcade an saturn versions, even the psx version had the start of the lame feel doa2 was to have, im shocked that peeps really dug #2 as its even better to play tekken 3 then doa2, i guess doa is the mortal kombat of 3d fighters,:(

4. oldtimer

oldtimer Well-Known Member

if you often have friends over for some senseless bashing, in other words.. they don't give 2 hoots about the finer techniques of virtual dueling then DOA is the way to go.

Set your joypad to autofire and you'll rule =p

However if you're into the fighting genre and want a title to last a very long time. VF4.. is .. how shall I put it? Timeless.

Deep single player modes, engaging VS battles..

VF4 all the way. Hey you posted on a VF board. You expected otherwise?

=)

5. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Well, I Think this is an extreme exaggeration. Often people get pissed when others complain vf is to slow or not deep...and base that on 10 min of gameplay...and I think thats whats happening here. While NO one would/could defend DOA3 that its as deep as VF, it does have its levels and is relatively complex. VF is a different gameplay system than DOA3 and a different focus. DOA3 is MUCH more about staggering attacks and delaying your attacks at different intervals. If you play against an experienced doa player and you JUST do the chains or pieces of the chains without thought out breaks, you will get slaughtered.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

DOA3 is MUCH more about staggering attacks and delaying your attacks at different intervals. If you play against an experienced doa player and you JUST do the chains or pieces of the chains without thought out breaks, you will get slaughtered.

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, this is a pretty big element of DoA3. But my opinion in terms of this aspect is that DoA2 did it better and Soul Calibur kicks DoA3's ass by a longshot in this department.

I'll give DoA3 props for much of the glitz (though I was honestly disappointed heavily with the graphics). Refracting water is cool, knocking a person off a building or through a pit looks cool. And I'll go so far as to say that Itagaki seems to have done what he seemingly set out to do by making a game that any casual gamer will feel comfortable playing.

But I'll still say it's not a deep game. And for whatever is deep in that game, Soul Calibur does way better. But nonetheless, it's a fun variation of paper-rock-scissors (with timing and off timing and throwing off other people's timing) when you need a distraction for a little while. And VF does have active "timing management" or whatever it should be called, it's just not as blatant or dry as it is in DoA3 (or even DoA2).

-Chanchai

7. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

DOA is gay, everyone hardcore fighting fan knows that.

8. MiKeY

MiKeY Active Member

I wouldnt exactly call DOA gay. other than the fact that 3 was only based on the women and their whore bodies o_O.

VF4 is the way to go if you REALLY want a good fighting game to cling to.

9. DuoWing

DuoWing Active Member

To ne honest Id say that VF4 is the way to go. I have played DOA2 before, and DOA3 and to me there really is no startegy involved, I can easily get through the fights and straight to the ending in DOA, but in VF its just a lot harder, and involves skill. So if you like an easy pick up and play game, then DOA is the way to go, its a pretty fun game. Or if you want a game that takes some time, but that time pays off and allows for much much longer lasting appeal then go with VF4. Graphically I would say VF4 is better, but we aint worrying about graphics here. So id say be sure to pick up VF4 this is one you most definitely won't wanna miss.

10. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

you idiot, how hard a game is to complete against the cpu has nothing to say, it's in Vs. mode it all counts.

11. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

VF4 is much better on all fronts except for backgrounds. DOA3 really has some impressive shit displayed for their backgrounds. Makes you wonder what the fuck happened to the character models?!?!
    And another thing is the MAD rape DOA made of the VF library of moves.

But hey, if your into ninjas :

<font color=white>"Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads ALL the time and don't even think twice about
    it. These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out ALL the time. I heard that there was this
    ninja who was eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town."</font color=white>

12. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

yup! DOA ripped off both VF and Tekken moves, Namco and Sega should do something about it!