1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF2 on Mega Drive (Genesis)

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Chanchai, Jul 31, 2000.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hey, has anyone ever played Virtua Fighter 2 for the Mega Drive? Just curious how it turned out. I'm not talking about the Saturn version or VF1 for the 3dx, but the VF2 for the Mega Drive. If I recall, it was completely 2d or at least was done in 2d. Did Shun and Lion have their evades? Too bad there wasn't a decent arcade stick on the system (not that I recall anyways).

-Chanchai

2. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Only VF game I ever played on megadrive was tekken versus virtua fighter I guess you've heard of this one by now but if not it was 2d and did have quite a few moves from vf2 but not the dodges I'm pretty sure.The closest part of this game to the arcade was the character select.Over all not a bad attempt and quite good AI.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

does anyone know where we can get roms of ANY of these games? (i assume there are emulators for megadrive)

tekken vs virtua fighter for sega master system / megadrive
    virtua fighter 2 for sega master system / megadrive

and virtua fighter 2 for genesis

i would love to see how they play

4. Guest

Guest Guest

oops sorry.. i thougt mega drive = sega master system the old 8 bit system. it is actually the jap genesis. what was the japanese name for sms that then hmmm.

still the question stands: anyone have any roms of any of this wierd VF stuff. thx

5. Chanchai

I don't personally believe there's a VF2 vs. Tekken... I strongly believe that such a thing doesn't exist and am sure of that. Not to insult DoomBoy but I'm curious where that came from.

No idea what the SMS was called in Japan. Wasn't really a fan of that game myself except maybe Alien Syndrome.

I'll eventually go look for a rom of VF2 for Genesis. Would be interesting seeing what they did with that game. Heck, if I ever find a cheap Nomad, I'd be a happy handheld gamer if VF2 turned out at least half decent. Not to mention that I actually did enjoy Weaponlord quite a bit after I got used to that game.

-Chanchai

6. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    The US version of VF2 for the Genesis isn't too ahrd to find, it shows up on E-bay pretty often

Spotlight

7. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

I guarentee there is a virtua fighter 2 versus tekken 2 and I would be happy to send it to you to prove my case it's 922kb.I can see why you'd be sceptical of sega and namco working together so I guess it was fan made or something,someone back me up here It's not that hard to find on the net!.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

damnit, i actually THREW out my genesis when i moved. argh.
    anyway yeah doomboy, please upload the rom to somewhere (even though you werent talking to me ;)
    i looked on the net for vf2 genesis rom, it must be difficult to find because i could not after searching on the web for a while. maybe there are communities or something where its easier to find so thats why im asking in here.

about the vf2 vs tekken thing. it may just be illegal but its very likely that its real. i even saw a sf2 for nintendo 8 bit once on my travels.

and now for an utterly unrelated note: sf2 was really popular in asia. it got to the point where people hacked the game so that, for example, ryu throws out 3 fireballs and they zig zag, guile can throw out a sonic boom and it moves incredibly slow, etc. this was in the arcades. did anyone ever do that to vf, considering vfs popularity? i doubt it, but just wondering.

9. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    there were codes to do that kind of stuff for the saturn vf2 using a game shark/pro action replay type device; high floats, faster play, fighting outside the ring etc. the coolest one was swapping moves with character models, but even the novelty of that wore off pretty quick.

When the game shark for the DC was released, I looked to see if there were any vf3 codes on the web site, but there weren't. It's just a matter of screwing around with it though.

I always really enjoyed the modified sf2 boards, some were done really well, and still had good balance.

BTW, there are as I write this 3 copies of genesis vf2 on ebay, for 4.99, 3.00 and 2.00 us dollars. Out of curiosity, ore shun and lion in the genesis version at all, i once heard they were omitted.

spotlight

10. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Well I'm not sure how to upload something but I'd be happy to email the rom to someone who does,Chanchai should have it by now,but if not I'd be happy to email it to anyone who's interested as It's only 900something k zipped.

11. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

I have vf2 for the genesis, shun and lion are missing, you can defenetly recognize some of the sound fx. you can actually kick cancel, pkg. akira's spod and knee are done just like saturn vf2,
    same timing. there are some funny combos there. why I bought this? just curious :p
    tekken vs vf....I played it (emulator), it's just like playing vf2 on genesis with a better color palette. this is NOT an official product! it was "fan" made.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

12. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

sal..how much do you want for that kage t-shirt? =)

13. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

hehehe, was that you that i beat on that auction
    at ebay?

i just had to have it; it's black and extra
    large. i just got a post office pick up notice
    today, it must be the shirts. sorry that i cant
    sell it, i like to collect almost any vf related
    item.

i should wear it at the gathering (if i go, 98%
    chance) :p

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

14. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

no, i never bid. i slept through the ending. crap. i was going to snipe, with some ridiculous sum that no one would in their right mind would beat.
    c'mon....$20? $30! think of the profit!

15. Chanchai

hehehe, well at least they have that Gameworks Pai shirt hehehe. Not too classy or anything, but I guess if you're a collector...

16. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

True, VF vs Tekken does exist

But not as an official game.

It's a hacked rom for the genesis (megadrive) emulators, and the correct name for the rom is something like
    Virtual Fighters vs Takken

It's however, kinda crappy =D

/Mirkan

"I'm faster than lightning!"