1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF2 PC emulation?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cappo, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Hey all, i have the original VF2 cd for sega saturn, are there any good emulators, so i can play it on my PC?

2. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Nope, there aren't any good Saturn emulators, and there probably won't be for some time, if ever. But you can pick up a Saturn pretty cheap these days on eBay or wherever.

3. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

My friend has a Sega Saturn, i guess i'll get it from him sometime this week.

Anyone have any Juggles for Akira for VF2?

4. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

I'm tempted to suggest you look at the Shinz combo vid on the VF Archive, but those are difficult to say the least. Generally, in VF2 Akira has plenty of options after the surprise exchange and reverse bodycheck, as well as the classic meatplow (2/3 SPoD, SDE, DbPm).

5. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

LOL, when i used to play VF i was way to young to understand some stuff. Now im 18 so im ready to go deeper into the Virtua Fighter engine.

what is SPoD, SDE, DbPm. And what are some others i should know?

6. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Err...why not just find VF2PC? Should run well on any somewhat modern computer, and there's an option for Model 2 character models (looks nice), and you can play online.

I always see one up on Ebay....

7. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Well for one i dont live in America :)
    I live in Bermuda, there are no Arcades around here.(NONE) I have to go to the arcades when im in America, i'm leaving this month or next month to go to Canada to school. Out there i should be able to go to the Arcades frequently to get some VF4 and Tekken 4 games in. Also there isnt any EB or american stores down here except KFC(LOL). I was looking earlier for a VF2PC so i can order it, i found a couple but only for auctin or something, and i dont wanna do that?

Do any of you have VF2 for pc?

8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

VF2 is easy to find on ebay and other places for about 5 bucks plus shipping. Should be worth your while and it would most likely run better than a Saturn emulator.

As for auctions, that's your choice, but I haven't had problems with online auctions. I'm sure many of them would ship to Bermuda.

-Chanchai

9. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Woah woah...virtua fighter 2 pc had option for model 2 character models?! I had no idea. Thats fuggin shweet.

10. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Looks pretty nice, much much better than Saturn. Textures and lighting aren't near Model 2, though, and the backgrounds are still 2-d.

11. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

hmm no-one else seems to be answering so I'll field this one. I guess I should be grumpy and tell you to check the FAQ, but you got lucky -- I'm waiting for something to compile and have time to kill =]

SPoD = Stun Palm Of Doom three hit combo. Stun Palm, Reverse Body Check, Double Palm (to opponent's back):

P+K+G, b/d,f+P+K, d (or d/f, or d/b),f+P (or b+P).

You have 60 frames (one second) to enter the whole thing. Hard.

SDE = Super Dashing Elbow. It's a dashing elbow that covers more ground than a regular DE.

f,f,f+P

DbPm = Double Palm:

D,b,f+P (i.e., from crouch).

A good VF2 Akira trick is to do the DbPm like this:

tap G, d+P+G, b, f+P.

The G, d+P+G is a low reversal that will grab incoming low kicks and punches. If there's nothing to grab, it will come out as a low punch. The low punch keeps Akira crouching for several frames as you buffer in the b,f+P.

Before you ask, the knee is K+G, but you can only hit G for one frame.

grib.

12. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Thanks i'll be doing some VF2 this weekend over a friends house, also i have to practice my Tekken Skillz for when i go to Canada and play my friend in Tekkan Tag and Tekken 4, sheeessshhh.

13. gribbly

More fun with VF2 Akira

ok have fun with VF2 Akira -- he's tricky.

Here's another easy and useful VF2 akira thing I like:

F+P,K, f,f+P,b,f,f+P+K

That's F+P,K (standard punch kick combo, hold forward for more range). This is good because if the punch lands the kick is guaranteed. It'll also often knock down, and it's quick as anything to come out (you won't get interrupted much).

the f,f,P can be buffered in during the K execution. It's the DE (dashing elbow). Fast and hits mid. If the P,K knocked them down, the DE will hit as they're falling.

The b,f,f+P+K is Akira's bodycheck, one of his coolest moves. If the DE hit them as they fell, the BC *might* connect.

This little chain of moves has surprising depth:

* if they get knocked down by the K, the DE and even the BC will hit them. Add a ground punch (d/f+P) for pretty good damage.

* often they'll block the P,K. If they go for a move after your K, the DE will often interrupt it (DE comes out quick) and MC (major counter) for a float. You can then continue with the BC or do other, more damaging float combo things.

* Often they'll react to P,K by crouching. Then the DE will connect (it hits mid) for a stagger. The BC will hit, but it's probably better to start the combo over in this case (since the P,K will hit while they're staggered).

* The most fun is when they get smart and start blocking the DE. Then they might try and counter-attack. But you've buffered in the BC haven't you? If you interrupt their move with a BC you'll get *huge* damage. A MC BC is one of the sweetest things in VF2. I've seen it do 70% damage on Jacky (hit between kicks in a delayed K,K combo).

* This works best if you mix up the full combo with 1/2 (just the P,K) and 2/3rds (everything up to the DE) versions. If they start getting all defensive: P,K(G) (the G is an optional guard cancel of the kick) then dash in and throw (f,b,f+P+K is my favourite VF2 akira throw).

Hope this helps. VF2 Akira is, IMO, scarier and more fun that VF3 Akira...

grib.

14. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Re: More fun with VF2 Akira

Thanks alot u guys for showing me some good Akira techniques. I was trying some moves with Akira VF2 on Genesis, there is a move thatwants me to hold kick and gaurd then release kick, it has never worked for me, and also what is akira's throw move where he hits u with his back?

Thanks

15. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, i was just talking to my friend, and he said he had Fighters MegaMix and Virtua Figher Kids.

Has Akira changed at all from Virtua Fighter 2 to Fighters MegaMix, or Kids??

16. gribbly

I had Megamix and Kids, but haven't played them for years so this is from memory. Kids Akira is just like VF2 Akira... Megamix Akira is like a hybrid between VF2 and VF3 Akira. Megamix is interesting, but the mechanics are all screwed up IMO. An unholy blend of VF and FV =]

Akira VF2 on *Genesis*? I have no idea, having never played that version. Isn't that 2D or something?

Anyway, in actual VF2 the difficult K+G move is Akira's knee. It's just like Jacky or Jeffry's knee, only much, much harder to do (the reason being that Akira is already has lots of strong mid-attacks -- he doesn't need an *easy* knee).

To do it you have to press G + K together, then release G after one frame (that's right... 1/60th of a second) while continuing to hold K.

You have to sort of "flick" or "brush" guard while hitting K normally. It's tricky, but not too bad once you get the hang of it. If you screw up you'll just keep getting the regular standing K. Keep trying.

grib.

17. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Thanks Gribbly, is there a place where i can find an Akira FAQ?

18. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

19. gribbly

what godeater said, plus <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gamefaqs.com>gamefaqs</a> is always good. There's plenty of VF2 stuff there.

grib.

20. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Joji's VF2 Akira FAQ is the gold standard that all other FAQ writers aspire to emulate IMO. For someone who is just learning about VF2, check out the general FAQ then read Joji's FAQ. Both should be available at gamefaqs.com