1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF2 - VF4

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by marcel, Jan 4, 2002.

1. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

As many of you who have played Vf4 know it plays a lot more like VF2 than VF3 or VF3tb. I will quote from Yu Suzuki in Next Gen magazine lifecycle 2 volume 3 issue # 8 8/01 he said "Vf2 was a little more balanced. With Virtua Fighter 3 and 3tb we went for to much speed, to much complexity. The person who could put in their moves fastest usally won. I want VF4 to have gamers require to be aware of their position and terrain." Now Yu Suzuki is no doubt one of the best game developers of all time but, when I play VF3 arcade i have to be aware of my terrain and position because if I didn't I would either get knocked into a wall, fall out of the ring, or get popped into the air and if I was on uneven terrain, get juggled like nobodies buisness. VF3 is no dobt an unbalanced game, anyone could just walk up and play as a fast easy combo character like Pai and win. None the less that measly escape button was wreched, you could be about to attack and your opponent sidesteps. I had a five year old play against me and I got a few attacks in but they just kept sidestepping. Anyway, I agree with Yui Suzuki's decision and I just want to know, just to spark some conversation, do you think VF4 should be a sequel to VF2 or VF3. By the way, I know a website where you can secure a copy of VF4 on PS2, if you have a japanese PS2 and are willing to drop $87.00. U can just get a converter though, the website is www.videogamesjapanplaystation.com (could the adress be any longer?) When you get to the site go to product search and type virtua fighter 4. It should say that it was released Nov. 8th it's a typo but when you go to checkout it will say that you're pre releasing it.Game on and if u get it P.M me and when you get it we can discuss strategies n stuff.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

VF3 is no dobt an unbalanced game, anyone could just walk up and play as a fast easy combo character like Pai and win.

MMMMpPPhaahahaahahaaaah!

Before you write five page essays on virtua fighter, you may want to learn some things. The block button is on the left. Thx!

3. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

LEARN SOME THINGS !!!! My next door neighbor has a VF3 machine. You don't know me or my experience level. Bite my friggin head off why don't you! VF3 is unbalanced, Yu Suzuki said it himself. So why don't you go mock him you, you Grrrrrr I could explode right now Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!! ANd it wasn't five pages, and Grrrrrrrrrr

4. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

VF3 unbalanced? If you mean "AI too easy", then sure (I've seen total newbies win with Pai too), but there are two whole buttons (Guard and Evade) that trash blind rushes rather quickly. I think what Suzuki was referring to is the degree of technical difficulty... it's "unbalanced" to the player with the most reflexes and/or experience. VF4 tones this down IMHO to just a few difficult moves (Akira's stuff, R-MTE, hit throws, huge floats) that are not required to be a medium-skill player (even Akira can do fine with simply bodycheck and Fujin). You can't walk up and start playing like you can in DOA (which is annoying). Of course, you don't want Soul Calibur, where you can walk up and start beating vets, but VF4 does this admirably.

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Laff! Your next door neighbor may have the machine, but that doesn't mean you're any good. Comments like "pai's really strong cuz she has that fast PPP" show your weakness. Ditto your comments about ring outs being cheap. Sorry to pick on you, but you should think harder before you state things as fact. VF3TB is probably the most balanced game in the whole series.

Your enthusiasm is commendable though.

6. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

interesting conversation... BTW- I like the Grrr. Thor's hammer must sing through cyberspace before the best conversations get started here more often then not. Thx for sharing:I had a five year old play against me and I got a few attacks in but they just kept sidestepping. /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif
    I'm not sure if this is a sincere confession of skill level or a humorous stab at VF3.
    The skill of the player is a magical element. Take a high skill level TTT player ( Tournament winner) and put them in second player position of say Soul Calibur or even the newest DOA and you get chills as they weave their magic. Take a high skill level VF player and match them against a Marvel vs. T4, or DOA arcade player and you will see good battles worthy of mpeg. many of the skills are transferable from game to game but in the end I agree VF4 is the thinking man's fighter. Yea, a Meijin Shun or a Choujin Akira can give good battle to a Senjin Lei and even the ever hovering beginner challenger will have fun. VF4 is a triumphant accomplishment. A big hit here in NYC.

7. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

"VF3 is unbalanced"

what? sorry for being an opposer, but compared to all the other vf games, VF3 was simply the fairest one!
    vf1+2 seemed to have an empy linear feel which left the limited movement of forwards & backwards, ...at the edge of the ring, you are finished if you dont have a "pull behind" throw of some sort.. who ever was faster would win with simple jabs, or a flip kick!!!

and about the escape button..

you say a five yr old can defeat you with a simple E tapping? do you not know about the E moves?? (i.e ..d/f+k+E) this simple mechanisim can safely knock them down mid Escape
    or even chain in to a combo on the counter hit!

the E button was the best mechanism suzuki invented because it added so much depth and tech into the game which players can make use of!!

do you know about the famed korean step technique? the style of E cancels and crouch dashing?, no other VF can touch the feel to such precise movement and control of character which made pin-point actions and decisions of my play (i dont speak for others on this)

IMO, VF2 was the peak of virtuafighter movement and realistic sincronisation, but VF3 was the peak virtuafighter play, and i dont see that ever changing for any other VF...

however, my opinon can only be mine and no one elses, but i could'nt just sit back and watch this topic......

8. metalbutter

metalbutter Active Member

Unbalance ?

I agree that ' VF3TB is probably the most balanced game in the whole series. '

I think VF3TB is not unblanced game.

9. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Re: Unbalance ?

Ahh, I didn't mean to start a friggin protest here, but by the time I read over what the hell I wrote it was 2 late 2 change it. I guess each game has it's small flaws, but hey Yu Suzuki didn't like the escape button himself, if he did like it he wouldn't have gotten rid of it!

10. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

hmm, i say it's a waste, like taka... why create something to scrap it?, looking at vf4, it almost seems like part 3 never existed,.. just an evolution of part 2

1> flat surfaces

2> 3 buttons

3> no taka, and no explanation

4> back + forward based play (it feels like escaping is a whole new feature)

5> vf2 traditional outfits rather than part 3 (i.e akira, pai, sarah, wolf)

6> revived sarah's vf2 stage

i wonder what suzuki actually thought of part 3?...

11. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Well, a lot of the gameplay stuff (other than the E button) from 3 made it to 4... Taka had realism problems anyway, and since there's plenty of bounce in everyone for 4, he would have had to essentially skid along the floor, vulnerable to low kicks. :)

12. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

It would of been interesting to see Taka in 4...just imagine what Sarah, along with shun and lion could do to him now....LOL.

13. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

While a lot of people say VF4 plays more like VF2 than VF3, I can't say too much about it because I only played VF2 on Saturn, not a lot of vs. experience from that. However to me VF4 also has a lot of stuff that are inheritted from VF3:

Wall (and Ring Out becomes a rarer event over-all). -- unless you consider wall is actually from Fighting Viper:)
    Every character has a quick ground attack follow up (3P or 3K, here "3" meaning f/d).
    Unified input commands (i.e. all throws are with P+G, all reversals are P+K)
    Throw escape. (in VF2 only non-command throw can be escaped)

I guess VF4 combined all the good parts considered by AM2 from both VF2 and VF3.

About VF3 being unbalanced I don't know what Yu Suzuki is referring to. Usually when people say a fighting game is "unbalanced" that means there are some characters/movements way too strong comparing to the others. I don't see VF3(tb) has serious problem in this matter. Yes there are some characters stronger than the others but the difference is kept in the minimum level. And the difference in character strength lies in every fighting game anyway.
    Unless.... he is referring to the higher damage level of some big attacks in VF3? is that why a lot of big attacks got
    toned town in VF4?
    After all, you can not be not satisfied with a game you developed that lasted 5(? or more) years and was still going strong in arcade (in Japan, I heard).